What newcomer has the best chance in Div. II AA

dwps2

Please elaborate for fellow DII supporters, who have had to endure criticism of its watered-down playoff system (because of the small number of teams) for years now. Are you saying that the presence of sub-.500 teams in a playoff system waters down the playoffs?

Gosh, I hope that never happens in Tennessee.

Oh, wait.......

rollredroll, ive only been posting on coacht for a couple months, but i have read the same nonsense you are referring to for the past 3+ years from public supporters. the presence of the Super 7/Super Prep Conference did nothing but help the image of tennessee high school football, whether public supporters like it or not. what public school VOLUNTARILY played trinity high school out of louisville? im pretty sure there were zero signing up for that role, yet MBA chose to play them, and beat them....even while brian brohm (now at univ. of louisville) was there. as you have stated in the past, the facts speak for themselves--four or five times, since the induction of the split, the 5a state champ has suffered its only loss to a team from the Super 7/Super Prep conference, and then that particular team wound up not winning the state title. in 2003, the team that beat germantown, who went on to beat "mighty" riverdale for the state championship, didnt make it past the semifinals. which seems more "watered down" to public supporters?...teams in the playoffs beating the eventual 5a champs and not even making it to the last game, or the 2-8/3-7/4-6 teams (a.k.a. cream puffs) that the riverdales, etc. waltz by for the first three rounds? point made.

good luck trying to change my opinion, or any opinion of the other supporters of the original Super 7, on that one.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think webb will make the smoothest transition because of their system and coach but it seems to me that their administration is not setting athletics as a priority in the least, from what i hear, so i think they are maybe second in line for a title behind ensworth. once ensworth has a little more time with coach bowers they will be competing for a title

hmmm...so are we going to begin taking turns on winning state championships now? i really hope not.

Webb will really have to step up to make the playoffs...

They lost their best OL/DL and have a major question marks at QB, LB and OL/DL. Last years' Senior class was small in numbers but huge in heart and chemistry. Two solid and fast RBs will help Webb compete this year. Both OL and DL are not very big and will need to come on. Freshman and Sophmore class have several good athletes. I believe they are one year away from making the playoffs.

thank you for being honest and not merely tooting webb's horn.

p.s.--if you dont have at least some type of passing threat, you might as well pack it up.....just ask germantown in '03/'04 or melrose in '03/'05. (both favored the run while playing Christian Brothers, a team that never won a state title while playing in the Super 7/Super Prep Conference.)

good luck trying to change my opinion, or any opinion of the other supporters of the original Super 7, on that one.

I hope you understand that I am agreeing with you on your original post on the presence of sub-.500 teams making the playoffs (as currently occurs in DI) as watering down a playoff system (hence the sarcastic at the end of my last post). I can't tell from the quote above if that was directed at me, or to those who disagree with your (our) opinion.

p.s.--if you dont have at least some type of passing threat, you might as well pack it up.....

Obviously you can pass out of the Wing-T but Webb doesn't do it very often. Webb's strength is execution and discipline. I've seen their OL in the past averaging around 180 lbs. per man create huge holes and running lanes against several 4a and 5a schools who were much larger and more athletic. Webb does a good job of coaching their small but quick OL to angle block and usually they have two good athletes who play pulling guard that would most likely play TE or FB on most teams.

Their Freshman class has 2 very good throwing QBs with good WRs in the Sophmore and Freshman classes. They may open it up a bit once they start playing varsity.

this is not directed toward anyone, just me rambling.....

doesnt matter who you are, what you run or how well you run it. in Super 7 games, you had to be able to do everything well in order to win. often times a mistake in the kicking game is what would get you beat, or vice versa. a school's football team had to strap it on and bring their "a" game every friday night in the Super 7 to avoid being embarassed.

please stop comparing 4a and 5a teams to those of the super 7. anyone whos seen/played in the league can tell you its a different breed of football. you wont change my mind, nor anyone elses on that fact. its a much more solid league, top to bottom.

the way it used to be, the team that did not make the best half time adjustments or that missed a field goal or a pat or had a bad snap on a punt, etc. was the team that, probably 7 or 8 times out 10, would lose. it was this way because the league was not "watered down" and there were no "gimme games." there is no comparison between 4a/5a football and that of the teams which played in the Super 7. the coaching is too good, the athletes are better, more fundamentally/technically sound football players and the variety/complexity of the schemes is too great to be compared with that of any other league in the state. period. hands down.

I completely agree with everything you said. DII at the top is much better than the best 4a/5a schools. I'm merely saying Webb has been succesful eventhough their air attack barely exists. You're right, they won't make the playoffs averaging 250+ rushing yards and 30 passing yards. They have a long way to go to compete with the MBAs, BAs, etc. of the world.

Just curious, who do you consider the Super 7 and how would you predict their strength ranked 1 through 7? All I know is that Webb beat Evangelical Christian School twice last year. Evangelical Christian School had beaten MUS and Christian Brothers. Even with that, I doubt they could have hung tough with BA or McCallie.

I completely agree with everything you said. DII at the top is much better than the best 4a/5a schools. I'm merely saying Webb has been succesful eventhough their air attack barely exists. You're right, they won't make the playoffs averaging 250+ rushing yards and 30 passing yards. They have a long way to go to compete with the MBAs, BAs, etc. of the world.

Just curious, who do you consider the Super 7 and how would you predict their strength ranked 1 through 7? All I know is that Webb beat Evangelical Christian School twice last year. Evangelical Christian School had beaten MUS and Christian Brothers. Even with that, I doubt they could have hung tough with BA or McCallie.

well, the original Super 7 schools are BA, MBA, Father Ryan, Baylor, Christian Brothers, MUS and McCallie.

as far as ranking them, i wouldnt know where to begin. i can only speak "on behalf" of CBHS. thats where i went and my brother continues to play for the school, so i have some sort of inside info. on the team.

this year, though, the teams look to be even more solid across the board than the past couple years. im not sure theres a clear cut, top team out of those seven. they all have strengths and weaknesses. the team(s) that is probably the most up in the air at this point would have to be MUS, McCallie or Father Ryan. i believe they lost more on both sides of the ball than the other five teams. granted, each school still has guys coming back, theyre who i dont know as much about due to the loss of their '07 classes.

BA, they lost a ton on the offensive side of the ball, but have the majority (i believe) of their defense returning as well as one of the top players in the state returning in chris jordan.

MBA, they have a ton of good football players returning for this season including bailey and bartholomew as well as a couple of good backs.

Father Ryan, dont know much about 'em, but im sure lussier has something up his sleeve and is looking to build on last year's season.

Baylor, has the most proven, and likely the best, qb returning in tyler massey. has great arm strength and is a tough runner...likely to help baylor out a lot this year.

Christian Brothers, lots of seniors and lots of speed in the offensive backfield. running backs sophomore eric watson (1200+ yards as a freshman) and senior gilbert johnson give the wave a talented backfield duo in addition to incredibly fast, new qb michael blanchard. both starting wr's are seniors. one can haul, drew martinez (plays baseball as well) and one catches anything thrown his way, randall pharr. theyve also added size on the offensive line, an area that hasnt been so "big" (pun intended) the past couple years. on defense, they have 4 of 5 def backs returning which should hold up a little better this year compared to last, mike backer ben maxwell is a senior, as well as about 4 returning def linemen with the most experienced being ben duffel (only returning starter to have played the last time CBHS defeated melrose in '05).

MUS, dont know too much about them, but sure they will be solid. Lord knows they have about as many coaches as players, so they should be. lol.

McCallie, lost coleman, but i believe return most of their defense which should help since the blue tornado lost the two-time mr. football winner. other than that, not real sure.

and to say ecs "beat" Christian Brothers would be an overstatement. any football smart fan knows that game was handed to ecs on a silver platter, but ill keep my opinion to myself. that game last year pretty much made ecs' season and could be looked at as their state championship, since they couldnt get it done. i would say thats what the '07 senior class of ecs will hang their hats on--the first to ever beat Christian Brothers High School in the history of ecs--sad.

...and to say ecs "beat" Christian Brothers would be an overstatement. any football smart fan knows that game was handed to ecs on a silver platter, but ill keep my opinion to myself. that game last year pretty much made ecs' season and could be looked at as their state championship, since they couldnt get it done. i would say thats what the '07 senior class of ecs will hang their hats on--the first to ever beat Christian Brothers High School in the history of ecs--sad.

Point taken... all I knew was the score and that obviously can be miseleading. The same could be said about the Webb - Knox Catholic game last year. The game was handed to Catholic on a call that is never made the way it was in that game.

I went and played at BGA back in the late 70s when there were only three classes (a, aa, aaa) and no public/private split.

• 2 weeks later...

Webb and Ensworth. From what folks tell me, Ensworth has some talent but depth and injuries could hurt.

Ensworth was hurt with Injuries from Kerry Oakley with multiple concussions and the loss of Matt Arent, Jarett Blihovde (leading WR last year) and Marvin Hughes, all to Hillsboro. But they are fit on there depth right now and really have filled in the spot of Jarett with Trent Wallace from BA. He is a 6-8 receiver who can just go up and grab the ball. He isnt the fastest guy out there but give him a jump ball and he will be sure to come down with it. Webb too from what i hear is a good contender as well. So i see Ensworth and Webb making the playoffs but i think if Ensworth can really work with the coaching they have, they really could have a deep run in the playoffs. A great game to see will be the Ensworth @ MBA game. It is going to be the most hyped up game of both MBA's and Ensworth's season. They have their depth on D but are a little loss on there WR core but definitely are getting somewhere.