D2 Mr Football

timbdp

Barrett Jones of ECS will the lineman award, pretty sure of that. Back of the Year...well, could go to Massey, could go to Jordan but I wouldn't be surprised if Adam Currie from ECS won that one too.

Barrett Jones will ABSOLUTELY NOT win the lineman award in OUR division. He won't be going up against teams that put their tallest guy at DE, even though he might be 180 pounds, and then save the real athletes for the linebacker positions. The DE he will facing will be true Defensive Ends, who know the position, and who have potential to play at the college level. He is big, but too uncoordinated to keep up with the guys that will be lining up against him from the traditional Super 7 teams. I wouldn't let the hype surrounding this guy blind you to the fact that he is NOT THAT GOOD; mediocre at BEST in the league in which his team will now be playing.

Adam Currie is a great quarterback, yet slightly undersized. Last year he put up great numbers because, like any great quarterback, he had receivers that could catch up with his passes and make great plays. With only 3 returning skill players, he being one of them, don't look for the same numbers he had last year. Again, Adam is a great guy, but it doesn't look possible on paper; then again, neither have ECS's past several seasons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim Schmid from Father Ryan should be considered for the lineman award. Been starting since a freshman.

Chris Jordan from Brentwood Academy is a turfmonster and will definitley surpass White and Ford ahead of him.

EDIT: I dont know Jordan's first name, so Ill just call him Chris!

Tim Schmid from Father Ryan should be considered for the lineman award. Been starting since a freshman.

Chris Jordan from Brentwood Academy is a turfmonster and will definitley surpass White and Ford ahead of him.

EDIT: I dont know Jordan's first name, so Ill just call him Chris!

In agreement with Tim Schmid, and it is Chris Jordan.

whow, did not mean to rub you wrong. let me see if i can share with yoU what I know. First, Justin Williams is who I am talking about. And no, i am not his father but i know his family well. They are good people and have dedicated many years of their lifes helping underprivelaged kids play football and cheerlead. I first saw Justin when he was 10 years old at Old Hickory. My daughter is the same age and cheerleaded at that time for Justin. He was a stand out even at that age. It is few and far between when you have a family like that come through. I remember the Gaines brothers as an example. very unique and talented family. Josh and Justin are somewhat the same. They have a younger brother, very quick and shifty, but seems to be in the shadows at this time. I do not know why, maybe he will flower soon. I know that Josh struggled in school and from what i was told by mr. williams, he did enough to play and pass, but FOOTBALL yes, school work no. He did get offers but as of a week or so ago, mr williams told me that Josh was finished and him and rose where happy for him being happy.

i do know that justin's mother was set on JPII. i heard her say it out loud several times. No bones about it. Father stayed more nuetral and asked justin to review all avenues and he did. I know he visited MBA because mr williams was excited about their interest they had in him. JPII was visited also. Do not know much more than what i am told. mr williams told me he chose DA because of friends. I do not know anything else. As to Old hickory football, a director from there told me that UNA did not even want to play him when he was AAA and 12 years old. Dont blame them.

as to st joseph i did go and watch justin and st joseph play in the championship game againt st henry. Out manned and understaffed. St henry was huge and looked like a hs team on the sidelines. bet there were 75 kids over there, and st joseph lost 14 to 7 or something like that. they keyed on him the whole game. numbers usually win. St henry is a feeder school for father ryan by the way. no great athletes to speak of, just big and strong and alot of numbers. father ryan should be very happy over the next few years. did not get to see any other games that season. i heard he did great obviously and st joseph was proud of course.

as far as anything else, do not know about scrimmages or passing practices. i imagine that da is rebuilding alot and he will be apart of that rebuild. I am always excited to watch him play. i will not go to memphis or anything like that, however, i will try and make his home games. always have enjoyed watching him play.

good luck with your dca team. hope your rebuild continues successfully.

What are his stats so far this year? Does anyone know?

What are his stats so far this year? Does anyone know?

In two games so far this year, he has about 58 yards rushing. Last game against BGA, he rushed three times for about 7 yards. BGA is not what you would call a powerhouse. But they beat Davidson Academy 40-0. So the poster tends to over exaggerate a little probably based on emotions.

whow, did not mean to rub you wrong. let me see if i can share with yoU what I know. First, Justin Williams is who I am talking about. And no, i am not his father but i know his family well. They are good people and have dedicated many years of their lifes helping underprivelaged kids play football and cheerlead. I first saw Justin when he was 10 years old at Old Hickory. My daughter is the same age and cheerleaded at that time for Justin. He was a stand out even at that age. It is few and far between when you have a family like that come through. I remember the Gaines brothers as an example. very unique and talented family. Josh and Justin are somewhat the same. They have a younger brother, very quick and shifty, but seems to be in the shadows at this time. I do not know why, maybe he will flower soon. I know that Josh struggled in school and from what i was told by mr. williams, he did enough to play and pass, but FOOTBALL yes, school work no. He did get offers but as of a week or so ago, mr williams told me that Josh was finished and him and rose where happy for him being happy.

i do know that justin's mother was set on JPII. i heard her say it out loud several times. No bones about it. Father stayed more nuetral and asked justin to review all avenues and he did. I know he visited MBA because mr williams was excited about their interest they had in him. JPII was visited also. Do not know much more than what i am told. mr williams told me he chose DA because of friends. I do not know anything else. As to Old hickory football, a director from there told me that UNA did not even want to play him when he was AAA and 12 years old. Dont blame them.

as to st joseph i did go and watch justin and st joseph play in the championship game againt st henry. Out manned and understaffed. St henry was huge and looked like a hs team on the sidelines. bet there were 75 kids over there, and st joseph lost 14 to 7 or something like that. they keyed on him the whole game. numbers usually win. St henry is a feeder school for father ryan by the way. no great athletes to speak of, just big and strong and alot of numbers. father ryan should be very happy over the next few years. did not get to see any other games that season. i heard he did great obviously and st joseph was proud of course.

as far as anything else, do not know about scrimmages or passing practices. i imagine that da is rebuilding alot and he will be apart of that rebuild. I am always excited to watch him play. i will not go to memphis or anything like that, however, i will try and make his home games. always have enjoyed watching him play.

good luck with your dca team. hope your rebuild continues successfully.

Thats strange that the reason for him deciding to attend school at Davidson is friends. Most of his friends I assume went to JPII since that is where 98% of St Joseph students go to high school. I think the reason for attending Davidson Academy is probably something other than what you were told. But anyway good luck to the Williams kid and I hope he is happy at Davidson.

My bet is on Jordan from BA if his knee is 100%. Bartholomew has the sexy name - coupled with his HUGE size and ability he could easily win it too.

Jordan will win the back award (if he stays healthy) and the MBA lineman (Perry I think) will be the lineman. Bartholomew is a great kid, but is primarily a blocking back. Doesn't get enough carries to win it.

Jordan will win the back award (if he stays healthy) and the MBA lineman (Perry I think) will be the lineman. Bartholomew is a great kid, but is primarily a blocking back. Doesn't get enough carries to win it.

actually after 2 games bartholomew has 160 yards rushing as a fullback. i think he is fully capable

• 1 month later...

Barrett Jones will ABSOLUTELY NOT win the lineman award in OUR division. He won't be going up against teams that put their tallest guy at DE, even though he might be 180 pounds, and then save the real athletes for the linebacker positions. The DE he will facing will be true Defensive Ends, who know the position, and who have potential to play at the college level. He is big, but too uncoordinated to keep up with the guys that will be lining up against him from the traditional Super 7 teams. I wouldn't let the hype surrounding this guy blind you to the fact that he is NOT THAT GOOD; mediocre at BEST in the league in which his team will now be playing.

Adam Currie is a great quarterback, yet slightly undersized. Last year he put up great numbers because, like any great quarterback, he had receivers that could catch up with his passes and make great plays. With only 3 returning skill players, he being one of them, don't look for the same numbers he had last year. Again, Adam is a great guy, but it doesn't look possible on paper; then again, neither have ECS's past several seasons.

Barret Jones: +

In preparing for ECS I realized that what I mistook for uncoordination (word?) was his style of blocking. ECS' line prefers to "wheel" defenders rather than blow them off the ball. There is certainly nothing wrong with this style of blocking; it is, in fact, the style I find hardest to defend, with the offensive lineman simply pushing the defensive lineman further in the direction he is slanting to begin with. I must note my surprise at Mr. Jones' athleticism after watching enough film to make my HEAD EXPLODE, looking for his stance tendencies (changes for pulling, pass protect, etc.), and not finding ANY. This takes an athlete, pure and simple. The only fault I put on him is that the outside step/inside rip move is ALWAYS open, a result of his pass protect style. The move is not as often used as a straight outside rush because of the implications of being pinned inside, unable to regroup and contain. ECS, however, does not have a speedster in Adam Currie (more to come in a moment), enabling the defensive ends or outside blitzers to take more chances. I found that he is a great sportsman, and, overall, I was surprised by his performance.

Adam Currie: No Change

Adam Currie is undoubtedly one of the state's best quarterbacks. He's got a rocket arm that can beam a laser to a short/medium yardage route, as well as a cannon that makes his a serious deep threat. Closer to the line of scrimmage, he has pretty good straight forward speed, but it's not a serious threat. He also does not protect the ball very well while running. He has great vision, although I don't think it is utilized enough. Maybe it is the lack of receivers (:-/ sorry guys), but he doesn't seem to check down to his 2nd and 3rd receivers; and if he does, rarely throws it. His greatest asset is his intellect. He doesn't make dumb throws (no picks before last night), works the sticks for first downs, and doesn't put himself in a position to make mistakes (bad plays breed more bad plays). He's a great quarterback, but doesn't appear to have the skill positions to enable him to have the same success this year.

ECS Skill Positions: -

The run game and receivers aren't the best I've seen from an ECS bunch. The receivers are undersized, and what appeared to be not great athletes. The tailback (38) is a hard, determined runner, symbolizing ECS as a team. He is undersized, but has plenty of fight. Not the most athletic player on the field, but one you can't look past.

ECS Offensive Line: +

The offensive line as a unit was a surprise. I, however, can only attest to their right side and both centers. First and foremost, they never quit. They are hard nosed guys that will keep scratching and clawing until the job is done or they have to get off the field. They hung with an extremely physical CBHS defense. Even after a brutal game, all but the right guard (51) were congratulatory and hospitable, respecting the fact that what happens inside the box is not personal, but instead part of the game that ends when the buzzer in the 4th quarter sounds. I was impressed with the personality and surprised by the execution of this group.

ECS is a team that I, as a Brother, love to hate (although, come Friday nights, I hate everybody). I know a lot of their players, grew up with Currie, and respect what Coach Heinz has done for, and with, the program. On several occasions fights almost broke out. They were outpourings of passion, not cheap or dirty play, in which each protects his own (not always a bad thing in my opinion, but don't listen to me /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> ). I respect the players because, year after year, the respect and personality shown after the game, win or lose, is more than any other team I have played. They are a good bunch of guys.

Are Mr. Footballs named for both DII-AA and DII-A or just one named for DII altogether? On the subject of the Davidson Academy freshman RB, he looks like a nice back. No doubt, he'll just improve more and more the next 3 years as well as a pretty good but young Davidson squad. Not a legit candidate this year but he'll certainly be in the mix in coming years.