SHS

the jacket is back! how did things go for you at ccchs this past year? also, it's easy to "outcoach" people when you are an underdog with nothing to be lost!

Coach Gary Halstead is an excellent coach. He has been at Sycamore since day one and both as an assistant and as the head coach this past year he has been a huge part of some great runs at SHS. 2001, 2003, & 2006 all come to mind right away. Coach Shaw, Coach Proctor, & Coach Taylor are also a first class group of guys.

Coach Cody Finley is an excellent coach. He has turned what was the laughing stock of Cheatham County into a football factory in leading the Cubs to the postseason in each of his first five years at the helm of the football program at CCCHS. 2004 & 2005 were especially great years that come to mind right away. Coach Randolph, Coach Jackson, Coach Dawson, & Coach Chandler are also a first class group of guys.

Both Sycamore & Cheatham Co. are very well coached football teams that should both enjoy some more great success in 2007.

MY ONLY DEBATE WITH YOUR REMARK is the fact that it is not easy to outcoach someone just because "you are an underdog with nothing to lose". That is CRAZY!!! The losers or underdogs are not always considered to have outcoached the winners or favorites. I promise you that when Trousdale Co. beat Red Boling Springs 91-0 (or something like that) a few years ago that coach Satterfield wasn't "outcoached". RBS obviously has everything to gain and nothing more to lose every week they take the field. For that reason I don't see them outcoaching people week in and week out. There are many teams around the state that I would consider to be "less than average" in terms of the coaching that they receive. Marshall Co. over the last two years is a great example. It has been a circus down there in Lewisburg for that period of time under the direction of Coach William Johnson. There are also teams that I believe are very well coached. Greenbrier under the direction of Coach Kirk Williams and his staff always play sound fundamental football and they never beat themselves. They may lose a game because the other team was just better than they were but they never lose because of "bad play calling" or "not putting kids in the right positions to be able to make plays".

If being an "underdog with nothing to lose" is a good thing then why doesn't Harpeth enjoy the same amount of success as both Cheatham Co. & Sycamore????? The talent level between those three football programs is not what I would refer to as being a HUGE GAP!!!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wouldnt predict a cheatham stomping nor a sycamore stomping. that game is definently the one game of the year that is unpredictable. just look at 2003 and 2004 as prime examples. its almost always one of the best games of the year and it was always my favorite to play in because everyone loves rivalries. that being said, this season could go either way for the war eagles. they have a lot of players that have to prove themselves. but knowing some of these kids and seeing them play and mature over the years, i will say they have the potential to be very good. big country, seeing as how im stuck in knoxville, could you enlighten me on this years war eagle team? the only ones im familiar with is the senior class plus a couple of the juniors. the young ones, or any new students since spring of last year, i know nothing about.

big country, seeing as how im stuck in knoxville, could you enlighten me on this years war eagle team?

Sycamore has an excellent team heading into this season. Coach Gary Halstead is heading into his tenth year as a part of the coaching staff of the program and it will be his fourth year as the head football coach. Coach Mike Shaw is coaching the defense for the second year in a row since Coach Keesler left for Smyrna (where he won a ring this past year). Other assistant coaches include Coach Matt Taylor, Coach Wes Proctor, & Coach Jack Littlejohn.

Jake Simms has been the starting quarterback at Eagleville the last two years and will take over for Austin Lohin this season. He is a good athlete with a good arm. Sycamore is trading more of what they saw athletically from Lohin and getting more of what they saw throwing wise with Garza when they get Simms. He'll be a great addition. Line wise the War Eagles are stout up front. Nick Hymer, Logan Judkins, & EJ Sims are joined by new faces Jarrett Miller and Keith Blanton (who is an absolute MONSTER). They return several key starters from last year's bunch. The running backs will be Cory Carrigan & Landon Morris. Landon is not the biggest kid in the world but he does run the football with a purpose. Cory is a good athlete who can do many things. He can run the football as well as catch the football if the War Eagles do decide to split him out as a receiver. Austin Patton, who played really well when given his opportunities last year, will be a key piece to the War Eagles receiver group this year. Cherry is the "X-Factor". He comes to Sycamore from BA and besides being an excellent baseball player he has the size and athleticism to be a pretty darn good receiver. Defensively Sycamore should be really good this year. Brad Tucker, Chris Johnson, Nick Hymer, & David Lane are all starters from last year's defensive front who should be starters once again this year. Travis Stansburry adds needed depth if called upon. Ryan Pope & Brice Ivey are two linebackers that return along with EJ Sims. Alan Brown will also play linebacker this year for Sycamore and should excel in this role. In the secondary Patton is a guy who played back there some last year. Houston Newman & Dalton Lane are two more players who should see action in the War Eagles secondary in 2007. Trevor Francis is an All-State caliber kicker who handles both the place kicking & punting chores.

IF THERE IS ANYTHING I LEFT OUT I AM SURE COACH HALSTEAD WILL ENLIGHTEN ME DURING OUR WEEKEND SPORTS SHOW AT MCDONALD'S

In all seriousness the 2007 campaign should be a successful one for the Sycamore War Eagles. I am predicting anywhere from 6-8 wins for this bunch and yet another trip to the TSSAA Class 3A State Playoffs.

big country, seeing as how im stuck in knoxville, could you enlighten me on this years war eagle team?

Sycamore has an excellent team heading into this season. Coach Gary Halstead is heading into his tenth year as a part of the coaching staff of the program and it will be his fourth year as the head football coach. Coach Mike Shaw is coaching the defense for the second year in a row since Coach Keesler left for Smyrna (where he won a ring this past year). Other assistant coaches include Coach Matt Taylor, Coach Wes Proctor, & Coach Jack Littlejohn.

Jake Simms has been the starting quarterback at Eagleville the last two years and will take over for Austin Lohin this season. He is a good athlete with a good arm. Sycamore is trading more of what they saw athletically from Lohin and getting more of what they saw throwing wise with Garza when they get Simms. He'll be a great addition. Line wise the War Eagles are stout up front. Nick Hymer, Logan Judkins, & EJ Sims are joined by new faces Jarrett Miller and Keith Blanton (who is an absolute MONSTER). They return several key starters from last year's bunch. The running backs will be Cory Carrigan & Landon Morris. Landon is not the biggest kid in the world but he does run the football with a purpose. Cory is a good athlete who can do many things. He can run the football as well as catch the football if the War Eagles do decide to split him out as a receiver. Austin Patton, who played really well when given his opportunities last year, will be a key piece to the War Eagles receiver group this year. Cherry is the "X-Factor". He comes to Sycamore from BA and besides being an excellent baseball player he has the size and athleticism to be a pretty darn good receiver. Defensively Sycamore should be really good this year. Brad Tucker, Chris Johnson, Nick Hymer, & David Lane are all starters from last year's defensive front who should be starters once again this year. Travis Stansburry adds needed depth if called upon. Ryan Pope & Brice Ivey are two linebackers that return along with EJ Sims. Alan Brown will also play linebacker this year for Sycamore and should excel in this role. In the secondary Patton is a guy who played back there some last year. Houston Newman & Dalton Lane are two more players who should see action in the War Eagles secondary in 2007. Trevor Francis is an All-State caliber kicker who handles both the place kicking & punting chores.

IF THERE IS ANYTHING I LEFT OUT I AM SURE COACH HALSTEAD WILL ENLIGHTEN ME DURING OUR WEEKEND SPORTS SHOW AT MCDONALD'S

In all seriousness the 2007 campaign should be a successful one for the Sycamore War Eagles. I am predicting anywhere from 6-8 wins for this bunch and yet another trip to the TSSAA Class 3A State Playoffs.