Strong prediction from JCHS camp

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My senior year Maryville played Johnson County twice. MHS beat them in the regular season 42-7 at Maryville. In the playoffs at Mountain City Maryville won 18-0.

When was that Rebelron 1983? In those days I believe, the school was called Mountain City High and not Johnson County. Am I right?

When was that Rebelron 1983? In those days I believe, the school was called Mountain City High and not Johnson County. Am I right?

No it has been Johnson County High School since the 50's. It was called Mountain City until I think 58'. My guess on the year would be 81' or possibly 82'. The 83' season was the first time we hadnt won the region in I believe 5 years. The first couple years were always Knox Rule. I remember they won the state in 80' and beat us 6-0. That was a game.

No it has been Johnson County High School since the 50's. It was called Mountain City until I think 58'. My guess on the year would be 81' or possibly 82'. The 83' season was the first time we hadnt won the region in I believe 5 years. The first couple years were always Knox Rule. I remember they won the state in 80' and beat us 6-0. That was a game.

The reason I asked that question I was in the 5th or 6th grade my elementary school let some kids out of school early that were going to the game and I could swear every one was calling the school Mountain City but you know how people are. They just were probly using the common name. In my mind we played and beat Mountain City. We also had football schedules printed that said Mountain City for the regular season game. At least that is how I remember it.

The reason I asked that question I was in the 5th or 6th grade my elementary school let some kids out of school early that were going to the game and I could swear every one was calling the school Mountain City but you know how people are. They just were probly using the common name. In my mind we played and beat Mountain City. We also had football schedules printed that said Mountain City for the regular season game. At least that is how I remember it.

No you are right on that point. To this day alot of people still refer to it as Mountain City especially on the news. The school is located in Mountain City is probably the reason. It ticks off alot of the people that dont live in the city when it is called that because the school takes in the whole county. Some of the people actually live closer to Hampton, TN or even Boone, NC so they dont come to Mountain City much except to go to school. I know that Unicoi County has the same problem with alot of people referring to them as Erwin which is the city. Call it either one and people know who you are talking about so it is really no big deal.

No you are right on that point. To this day alot of people still refer to it as Mountain City especially on the news. The school is located in Mountain City is probably the reason. It ticks off alot of the people that dont live in the city when it is called that because the school takes in the whole county. Some of the people actually live closer to Hampton, TN or even Boone, NC so they dont come to Mountain City much except to go to school. I know that Unicoi County has the same problem with alot of people referring to them as Erwin which is the city. Call it either one and people know who you are talking about so it is really no big deal.