Strong prediction from JCHS camp

While on vacation in East Tennessee visiting some of my Milligan buddies, Krispy Kreme Karl noticed some kid named Stanley was on the Channel 11 a minute ago and he said that the Mighty Longhorns of Johnson County High School - (Is that past the Butler Bridge?) - was going all the way this year! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Johnson County's Stanley said that they were going to beat up on Class 4-A like Krispy Kreme Karl eats donuts. Beware Tennessee High. Beware Maryville. Beware State. According to this kid, the Horns are for real. Now does Krispy Kreme Karl buy that? No, like Krispy Kreme Karl buys Dunkin' Donuts. But Krispy Kreme Karl encourages all of today's youth to chase their dreams... and please, for the love of God, do not act like Broadway Joe when you are a junior high school.

Krispy Kreme Karl is tired. Krispy Kreme Karl is going to go eat some more donuts.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that my friend is why, when you cover high school football media days, you have to be careful what you print! Some kids don't know any better, but they need to be careful what they say when the TV camera is up in their face. I have learned this lesson before quoting kids, and so have some other of my writing buddies. I think the idea of no player quotes that some papers impliment, unless it's a feature or big game, is a good one. My bet is this kid didn't think it was going to be plastered on the evening news. I'd say Coach Atwood isn't happy about it, and he'll address the players because they'll have teams riled up now when they play Johnson County. I'm sure this isn't the only case where this happens this year.

And that my friend is why, when you cover high school football media days, you have to be careful what you print! Some kids don't know any better, but they need to be careful what they say when the TV camera is up in their face. I have learned this lesson before quoting kids, and so have some other of my writing buddies. I think the idea of no player quotes that some papers impliment, unless it's a feature or big game, is a good one. My bet is this kid didn't think it was going to be plastered on the evening news. I'd say Coach Atwood isn't happy about it, and he'll address the players because they'll have teams riled up now when they play Johnson County. I'm sure this isn't the only case where this happens this year.

So what should the kid say before the season begins? "Well, I'm real excited about this year's team. I believe we might win 6 or 7 of our games!" What's wrong with optimism? You know what they say, "Hope springs eternal before the season begins." I don't knock the kid for believing in his team and setting high goals.

i agree govman. I think every kid dreams of that state championship before the season starts. There's always a small chance at least right?? He didn't call out an opponent or opposing player, he just said he thought HIS team would do well. Not that other teams wouldn't. Only optimism. Not trash talk... i completely understand.

While on vacation in East Tennessee visiting some of my Milligan buddies, Krispy Kreme Karl noticed some kid named Stanley was on the Channel 11 a minute ago and he said that the Mighty Longhorns of Johnson County High School - (Is that past the Butler Bridge?) - was going all the way this year! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Johnson County's Stanley said that they were going to beat up on Class 4-A like Krispy Kreme Karl eats donuts. Beware Tennessee High. Beware Maryville. Beware State. According to this kid, the Horns are for real. Now does Krispy Kreme Karl buy that? No, like Krispy Kreme Karl buys Dunkin' Donuts. But Krispy Kreme Karl encourages all of today's youth to chase their dreams... and please, for the love of God, do not act like Broadway Joe when you are a junior high school.

Krispy Kreme Karl is tired. Krispy Kreme Karl is going to go eat some more donuts.

I always took Hwy 91 through Stoney Creek past J&N Auto/Haney's Paint Shop past the Poss Variety Store and up past Sonny Fletcher's Store up to Shady Valley and then on to Mountain City. Sometimes I stop at the blue hole and cool off on these hot August days or if it is near Easter I crack a few eggs up in Peter's Hollow. I guess it is past the Butler bridge if that is the route you take. I hope the Longhorns have a good season, I'd like to see them come down to Maryville for a ballgame.

I always took Hwy 91 through Stoney Creek past J&N Auto/Haney's Paint Shop past the Poss Variety Store and up past Sonny Fletcher's Store up to Shady Valley and then on to Mountain City. Sometimes I stop at the blue hole and cool off on these hot August days or if it is near Easter I crack a few eggs up in Peter's Hollow. I guess it is past the Butler bridge if that is the route you take. I hope the Longhorns have a good season, I'd like to see them come down to Maryville for a ballgame.

I have got to admit that is funny. A more straight answer is that Mountain City is located about 20 minutes out of Boone, NC. As far in the Eastern tip as you can get and not be in VA or NC. Red Rebels took the motorcycle route but the easiest way is to take I-81 to Abingdon, VA and then head back to TN from there. We are here in the middle of nowhere. Johnson County and Maryville have faced each other a few times back in the 80's when both were double A and the playoff's were only 8 teams. I believe we played 2 or three times back then.

I have got to admit that is funny. A more straight answer is that Mountain City is located about 20 minutes out of Boone, NC. As far in the Eastern tip as you can get and not be in VA or NC. Red Rebels took the motorcycle route but the easiest way is to take I-81 to Abingdon, VA and then head back to TN from there. We are here in the middle of nowhere. Johnson County and Maryville have faced each other a few times back in the 80's when both were double A and the playoff's were only 8 teams. I believe we played 2 or three times back then.

Back in the 70's when Lamar started his walk across the state he said "Mountain City is closer to the Canadian border than the Memphis city limits."

This post is a waste of time

Back in the 70's when Lamar started his walk across the state he said "Mountain City is closer to the Canadian border than the Memphis city limits."

I had to run the miles because I dont remember this but he was very close. Memphis is 548 miles and the crossing to Canada in Detroit is 583 miles. That is wild. I remember him making that walk in the Red and Black flannel shirt. I believe the slogan was "Memphis to Mountain City". Very good memory and interesting comparison. It is closer to Dallas, TX from Memphis than to Mountain City.

Just a kid. He's just excited. I still have a tape of being interviewed by Bob Haywood in high school. Talking about stupid comments! If I was his coach, I'd more upset if a kid said they hope to win 6 or 7.

I also think head coaches need to talk to the players, ahead of time, and explain to the kids how to address the media. You know Coach Clark and Coach Carter do. But, let me get this right, since I did not hear or read the actual comment... TN High first, Maryville second, and then State? Hmmmm, might be good bulletin board fodor for the teams that he snubbed, huh? I guess the defending conference champs, Sullivan South will have already been put down by the Longhorns at that point in the season.... interesting. LOL!

Just a kid. He's just excited. I still have a tape of being interviewed by Bob Haywood in high school. Talking about stupid comments! If I was his coach, I'd more upset if a kid said they hope to win 6 or 7.

I also think head coaches need to talk to the players, ahead of time, and explain to the kids how to address the media. You know Coach Clark and Coach Carter do. But, let me get this right, since I did not hear or read the actual comment... TN High first, Maryville second, and then State? Hmmmm, might be good bulletin board fodor for the teams that he snubbed, huh? I guess the defending conference champs, Sullivan South will have already been put down by the Longhorns at that point in the season.... interesting. LOL!

Actually all that was added by the original poster. All he said was he wanted to beat TN High and thought we would since we havent before and that he would like to win the state. Like you stated, he is a kid but this got juiced up by the donut guy. He was answering a question about what he wanted to accomplish this year. No mention was made of any team other than TN High. They are the only team we have not beat since moving up 2 classes at once. I agree with your point on coaches speaking to the kids about how to handle these questions. I along with you look back on a few things I said and boy do they sound cocky now. At the time I thought I was smooth. Best of luck to all this season.