Region 5-1A Scrimmages

Sort of copied Greenmans idea, but I'd like to know how the rest of Region 5 is doing so far and where you think your team is at this point in the year.

Cascade had a couple of summer scrimmages against Huntland and Watertown. I only saw one, and several of our players were involved in other sports, but we still handled those teams pretty well.

Recently, we scrimmaged Collinwood and TCA in a three way last weekend which revealed that the program was on target to be pretty successful this season. Still have some bugs to work out, but overall, the team more than held their own against what should be a couple of solid teams this season. Tonight we get the biggest test against a pre-season state tournament favorite in Mt. Pleasant. Most MP fans are down playing this scrimmage, but I believe we will have an idea what to expect after this afternoon.

Tell us what scrimmages your team have been involved in and how you did in each one. We should have an idea of what our region will do as a whole if we can share results from scrimmages against other teams.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here’s all I know…nothing new.

Jo Byrns:

Scrimmaged Watertown on 8/3:

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...011/1305/MTCN03

Scrimmage Cannon Co. tonight:

Will post outcome tonight

WHH:

Scrimmaged FCS on 8/3

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...013/1305/MTCN03

Scrimmage East Robertson & Todd Co. KY tonight

Clarksville Academy:

Scrimmaged Steward Co. on 8/3:

Lost 14-7; Defense looked good, offense needed work. Only have 24 players, so depth is an issue.

Next Scrimmage?

Forrest:

Scrimmaged East Robertson on 8/3:

http://www.rctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../308070015/1305

Scrimmaged Huntland and Richland on 8/9:

?

Eagleville?

Nashville Christian?

Community?

MTCS?

McEwen?

Let’s just say JB didn’t look good tonight. They beat Cannon Co. 4 to 1 but it wasn’t pretty at all. Before I get into JB’s performance let me just say that Cannon Co. came out with a lot of passion and played hard; totally different team from years past. Now for JB…the first string lost a fumble on the very first play and that set the tone. I don’t want to get too critical this early in the season but I feel I may need to. The first team looked UNINSPIRED AND SOFT. It didn’t look like anybody on the first string wanted to win a championship. They just didn’t have it in them, no passion. I know it’s just a scrimmage but you practice like you play. If you don’t do it in a scrimmage what makes you think you’ll do it in a game. All that’s left between now and week one are a Jamboree and 8 practices. They better ask themselves if they really want this because if not, they’re going to get sent home in a hurry. Again, I know it’s early but time is running out. GET IT TOGETHER GUYS!

Alright enough about that…in terms of execution, JB did a much better job on defense with their pursuit and tackling. I still saw a couple of repeats from last week but overall, much better. The opposite could be said about the O-line’s blocking. JB had a lot of missed blocks but they had even more players not maintaining their blocks. I also think that we held on to the ball a little too long. The passing plays developed sooner than anticipated so we could have gotten rid of the ball a little quicker.

I normally wouldn’t be so critical this early in the season but I was disappointed in the passion tonight. Its one thing to question a team’s talent but it’s another thing to have to question their passion or desire. I know the talent is their for the most part. I just need to see the passion.

Lastly, congratulations to #10 tonight (Josh Dean I think). He gets the game ball. Everyone I just called out tonight needs to take notes from this guy. I don’t want to get too ahead of myself but very COLTON-ESQUE performance tonight.

JB fans, call me out and correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the updates, Moto. I'm sure things aren't as bad up in Robertson County as your making it sound.

At any rate, I've been very pleased with the Champions so far. We've had scrimmages against three teams that were either picked to win their region, or contend for it. (TCA, Collinwood, and MP) and in my opinion appeared to be the better team in all three. I wouldn't say we dominated any of the three, but I would say we come out on top in all three. We still have some execution issues we need to take care of. A few missed blocking assignments and people being out of position on defense at times, but that is to be expected this early in the season. There is a ton of talent on this team and anything short of a deep playoff run is going to be disappointing down in Wartrace. I think the main key to this season is keeping our main contributors healthy. If we can keep the big boys up front healthy, no one will stop this team offensively. You can bank on that. The stable of backs we have in Wartrace now are unbelievably talented. I think the teams we have scrimmaged will attest to that. I'm very concerned about our pass defense. We can potentially give up some big plays there. We are out of position a lot and some of the guys aren't looking for the ball when its in the air. If we don't address our pass defense problems, we may be in for a long year against good passing teams. MP dropped at least 3 or 4 passes last night that would of been big gains if they had held onto the ball. I'm sure Coach Parker and his staff will sit down with the game film and correct these problems in the next couple of weeks.

I think we have a scrimmage scheduled against Richland, but I'm not sure about that. We also have the Jamboree next Saturday in Chapel Hill. I'm very excited and can't wait for the season to get started!

Let’s just say JB didn’t look good tonight. They beat Cannon Co. 4 to 1 but it wasn’t pretty at all. Before I get into JB’s performance let me just say that Cannon Co. came out with a lot of passion and played hard; totally different team from years past. Now for JB…the first string lost a fumble on the very first play and that set the tone. I don’t want to get too critical this early in the season but I feel I may need to. The first team looked UNINSPIRED AND SOFT. It didn’t look like anybody on the first string wanted to win a championship. They just didn’t have it in them, no passion. I know it’s just a scrimmage but you practice like you play. If you don’t do it in a scrimmage what makes you think you’ll do it in a game. All that’s left between now and week one are a Jamboree and 8 practices. They better ask themselves if they really want this because if not, they’re going to get sent home in a hurry. Again, I know it’s early but time is running out. GET IT TOGETHER GUYS!

Alright enough about that…in terms of execution, JB did a much better job on defense with their pursuit and tackling. I still saw a couple of repeats from last week but overall, much better. The opposite could be said about the O-line’s blocking. JB had a lot of missed blocks but they had even more players not maintaining their blocks. I also think that we held on to the ball a little too long. The passing plays developed sooner than anticipated so we could have gotten rid of the ball a little quicker.

I normally wouldn’t be so critical this early in the season but I was disappointed in the passion tonight. Its one thing to question a team’s talent but it’s another thing to have to question their passion or desire. I know the talent is their for the most part. I just need to see the passion.

Lastly, congratulations to #10 tonight (Josh Dean I think). He gets the game ball. Everyone I just called out tonight needs to take notes from this guy. I don’t want to get too ahead of myself but very COLTON-ESQUE performance tonight.

JB fans, call me out and correct me if I'm wrong.

Moto, I have to agree with you on all points made. Jo Byrns loked very sluggish and flat. If we don't get the O-line straight we our gonna get our QB put on the sidelines. If that happens then it will be a different season. First of all our QB doesn't need to be playing defense. There are a couple of guys on the sidelines that can do the job at corner. The run game wasn't there last night either. I don't know if it was missed blocks or uninspired running or a combination of both.

I think everyone of the guys who get the opportunity to make a difference needs to rededicate themselves to this team and the goals that they have. What I saw last night by most of the 1st team was uninspiring. I thought the 2nd team looked like they wanted to play, O and D. I also was impressed with Josh on both sides of the ball.

I want everyone to understand I'm not knocking these young men. They are all quality young men and have a tremendous amount of talent on this team. I don't want to see you guys squander the opportunity you have this year.

If you are goona half-step this year maybe you need to lower your goals to making the playoffs rather than a Regional Championship or possibly a State Championship. If what I;m hearing is true, this region is gonna be a lot tougher than in the past. Work hard in practice and let's get to playing some REDDEVIL FOOTBALL!

Moto, I have to agree with you on all points made. Jo Byrns loked very sluggish and flat. If we don't get the O-line straight we our gonna get our QB put on the sidelines. If that happens then it will be a different season. First of all our QB doesn't need to be playing defense. There are a couple of guys on the sidelines that can do the job at corner. The run game wasn't there last night either. I don't know if it was missed blocks or uninspired running or a combination of both.

I think everyone of the guys who get the opportunity to make a difference needs to rededicate themselves to this team and the goals that they have. What I saw last night by most of the 1st team was uninspiring. I thought the 2nd team looked like they wanted to play, O and D. I also was impressed with Josh on both sides of the ball.

I want everyone to understand I'm not knocking these young men. They are all quality young men and have a tremendous amount of talent on this team. I don't want to see you guys squander the opportunity you have this year.

If you are goona half-step this year maybe you need to lower your goals to making the playoffs rather than a Regional Championship or possibly a State Championship. If what I;m hearing is true, this region is gonna be a lot tougher than in the past. Work hard in practice and let's get to playing some REDDEVIL FOOTBALL!

You said it...I don't want to see these guys squander the opportunity they have. And yes, if it hadn't been for the 2nd team I would have really been down. Once the 2nd team came in I was very pleased. Heck I could have just watched them the whole time. The second team played like they had something to prove. The 1st team played like there was nothing left to prove.

Thanks for the updates, Moto. I'm sure things aren't as bad up in Robertson County as your making it sound.

At any rate, I've been very pleased with the Champions so far. We've had scrimmages against three teams that were either picked to win their region, or contend for it. (TCA, Collinwood, and MP) and in my opinion appeared to be the better team in all three. I wouldn't say we dominated any of the three, but I would say we come out on top in all three. We still have some execution issues we need to take care of. A few missed blocking assignments and people being out of position on defense at times, but that is to be expected this early in the season. There is a ton of talent on this team and anything short of a deep playoff run is going to be disappointing down in Wartrace. I think the main key to this season is keeping our main contributors healthy. If we can keep the big boys up front healthy, no one will stop this team offensively. You can bank on that. The stable of backs we have in Wartrace now are unbelievably talented. I think the teams we have scrimmaged will attest to that. I'm very concerned about our pass defense. We can potentially give up some big plays there. We are out of position a lot and some of the guys aren't looking for the ball when its in the air. If we don't address our pass defense problems, we may be in for a long year against good passing teams. MP dropped at least 3 or 4 passes last night that would of been big gains if they had held onto the ball. I'm sure Coach Parker and his staff will sit down with the game film and correct these problems in the next couple of weeks.

I think we have a scrimmage scheduled against Richland, but I'm not sure about that. We also have the Jamboree next Saturday in Chapel Hill. I'm very excited and can't wait for the season to get started!

I've been very impressed with cascade so far. It definitely sounds like they have what it takes. Congrats on the great performances and keep it going.

Community scrimmaged Mt Juliet Christian week ago Friday. Coach Frost was not please with the way we preformed. We won 2-1. One time we headed down field and got to the twenty yard line and stop and turn around went the other way(not sure way). We are improving daily. But still learning how to play the game(it's different playing the game than watching it on TV). We are scrimmageing Columbia Academy tuesday. Will be time to step it up. We have five seniors(four of them have been here since the high school program started). The junior class is the leading class.

A lot of people have been working to get to this point for seven years.

Will be interesting how we do in this region.

I'm very concerned about our pass defense. We can potentially give up some big plays there. We are out of position a lot and some of the guys aren't looking for the ball when its in the air. If we don't address our pass defense problems, we may be in for a long year against good passing teams. MP dropped at least 3 or 4 passes last night that would of been big gains if they had held onto the ball. I'm sure Coach Parker and his staff will sit down with the game film and correct these problems in the next couple of weeks.

Just so you don't have to be so concerned, Coach Rich never shows the real pass coverage schemes in pre-season scrimmages. In the past, he has only run base Cover 1 and Cover 3, with no adjustments to spread or speciality packages. I have no doubt that come regular season, the pass defense will be better than you think it will be right now. All he ever talks about in pre-season is finding out who wants to play and what can each player actually do. From watching last nights scrimmage, Cascade was playing about as vanilla a 4-4 package as you will ever see. I promise you, what you saw last night is not even close to what the coaching staff would have had in place during a regular season game.

Just so you don't have to be so concerned, Coach Rich never shows the real pass coverage schemes in pre-season scrimmages. In the past, he has only run base Cover 1 and Cover 3, with no adjustments to spread or speciality packages. I have no doubt that come regular season, the pass defense will be better than you think it will be right now. All he ever talks about in pre-season is finding out who wants to play and what can each player actually do. From watching last nights scrimmage, Cascade was playing about as vanilla a 4-4 package as you will ever see. I promise you, what you saw last night is not even close to what the coaching staff would have had in place during a regular season game.

Wasn't trying to upset you (whoever you are) Someone pretty close to the program apparently. I think there is always room for improvement, and from the average uneducated fan (me), that was where I saw the defiencies. Every other aspect of the O and D looked very solid. It stands to reason that improvements need to be made in all parts of the game, but this was my observations. There were at least two times I know of that interceptions should of been made if the defender had looked for the ball. That is the type of stuff we have to get better at. I have no doubt that we will make coverage adjustments and different cover formations in actual games and no one wants to show their hand right now, but these mistakes have nothing to do with what coverage you had in place. I'm not knocking the kids, if you know who I am, then you know I'm one of the biggest supporters of all our athletics at Cascade (emotionally not financially ) so if I point out a couple of things, it isn't to show a kid or coach up, it is just MY observations.