CPA Weekly Report

divepix

Divepix is back with his weekly CPA game report.

I left with 1:30 to go and Ensworth with the ball, so assuming they didn't fall apart or try to score, Ensworth beat CPA, 35-28.

This is Ensworth's first full football season, but don't be fooled - they are loaded with talent, a lot of size, a roster of almost 60 players, and great coaching with Ricky Bowers and David Pack (who said he would not coach again when he left CPA for an administrative position at Ensworth). Mark this down - Ensworth in a few years will be playing at the same level as MBA and BA. They have the money, they can recruit, and they can pay great coaches.

Now for the game:

1st half: CPA receives kickoff, starts a great drive, but QB Lowery overthrows a receiver for an interception and the drive stalls. Ensworth immediately establishes the fact that they can gain yards on the ground and after their first two drives they are up 13-0 and it is looking bad for CPA.

CPA settles down and scores 2 TD's on the strong passing of Lowery and some great catches by CPA receivers, especially All-State prospect, Tripp Weir. 14-13 CPA.

Ensworth starts a late drive just before half and as they are running out of time makes a great run to go ahead with 20 seconds to go in the half. 2 point conversion good. 21-14 Ensworth.

2nd Half: Ensworth gets the kick, CPA holds and after some great passes, has 1st and 10 on Ensworth's 10 yard line to tie the game. Ensworth holds on good run defense and a sack on a blitz. THey then block the FG attempt to hold onto a one TD lead.

Ensworth has another good drive and goes up 28-14. CPA doesn't quit and cuts the lead on an incredible pass and catch from Lowery to Freshman Trapnell to the 1 yard line. Lowery scores on a 6 yard run on the next play after a 5 yard penalty. 28-21 Ensworth.

Ensworth comes right back and runs down the field to score and go up 35-21 with about 5 minutes to go.

CPA gets the ball back and Lowery connects with Weir on a short pass play that Weir breaks free and outruns everyone down the sideline for a 60 yard score. 35-28 Ensworth with about 1 1/2 minutes to play.

CPA cannot recover the onside kick.

CPA was a bit overmatched against Ensworth's big line and great running backs, but then Ensworth couldn't really stop CPA's passing game. Don't know the stats, but suspect Ensworth had 300 yards rushing and CPA had about 300 yards passing.

As a lion fan, I am really proud of the way CPA hung in the game and didn't quit, and the way the young players made some big plays. CPA's All-State DT, Justin Parris, did not play with a leg injury that will sideline him for about 3 games. That really hurt CPA defensively.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As Paul Harvey would say, the rest of the story.... Ensworth fumbles the first snap after the onside and CPA drives/passes to the red zone. Lowery has pass intercepted at the two with about 30 something seconds left.

They almost punished me for leaving early, and I wished they had. We heard the CPA fans cheer when we were in the traffic line pulling out, but didn't know what happened. Well, now that my son doesn't play anymore, I guess I can leave a little early now and then.

Didn't this game remind you of the MBA game last year? CPA couldn't really stop the run and Ensworth couldn't stop the pass (until the last one). Same way with MBA last year. The CPA stalled drive when they had 1st and 10 on the 10 really was the difference in the outcome.

They almost punished me for leaving early, and I wished they had. We heard the CPA fans cheer when we were in the traffic line pulling out, but didn't know what happened. Well, now that my son doesn't play anymore, I guess I can leave a little early now and then.

Didn't this game remind you of the MBA game last year? CPA couldn't really stop the run and Ensworth couldn't stop the pass (until the last one). Same way with MBA last year. The CPA stalled drive when they had 1st and 10 on the 10 really was the difference in the outcome.

Unless you lost a limb or are on fire you never never ever leave a game early.

Yes.

NO!

Yes.

Why can't they recruit? I know for a fact some of the players there aren't paying the $20,000 plus tuition. But that is alright, they are a private school playing in the private school division.

No excuses, we knew what they were when we scheduled them.

But, book it, they will be a state power in a few years, competing evenly with MBA and BA

Why can't they recruit? I know for a fact some of the players there aren't paying the $20,000 plus tuition. But that is alright, they are a private school playing in the private school division.

No excuses, we knew what they were when we scheduled them.

But, book it, they will be a state power in a few years, competing evenly with MBA and BA

No TSSAA sanctioned schools are allowed to recruit. That's not to say that some publics and privates don't 100% abide by those rules.

Just because Ensworth offers financial aid, doesn't mean the child was recruited to attend school there. Receiving financial aid and recruiting are two totally different things. Maximum financial aid amounts are determined by a third party clearinghouse and never amount to full tuition. Then it is up to the school to decide if they want to award the full maximum amount determined by the third party or less. Many of the prep schools have missions built into their charters to assist underpriviledged children by assisting with tuition. It is a big reason why there is a D2 in the TSSAA as they could not philosophically get away from said mission.

I can guarantee that not every child at CPA is paying full tuition. Does that mean they were recruited? It's possible that they were recruited on their academic prowess since D1 private schools can't have financial aid athletes, but I would beg to venture that it was because there is a need there.

No TSSAA sanctioned schools are allowed to recruit. That's not to say that some publics and privates don't 100% abide by those rules.Just because Ensworth offers financial aid, doesn't mean the child was recruited to attend school there. Receiving financial aid and recruiting are two totally different things. Maximum financial aid amounts are determined by a third party clearinghouse and never amount to full tuition. Then it is up to the school to decide if they want to award the full maximum amount determined by the third party or less. Many of the prep schools have missions built into their charters to assist underpriviledged children by assisting with tuition. It is a big reason why there is a D2 in the TSSAA as they could not philosophically get away from said mission. I can guarantee that not every child at CPA is paying full tuition. Does that mean they were recruited? It's possible that they were recruited on their academic prowess since D1 private schools can't have financial aid athletes, but I would beg to venture that it was because there is a need there.

I made it clear I was not wanting to whine about a loss or accuse Ensworth of doing anything wrong.Your above explanation may be correct, but you are naive to think athletic recruiting does not occur. The reality is that if you can give financial aid, athletic recruiting will always occur. I don't know what the maximum financial aid amount is (maybe you do), but unless it is very big, the difference between what Ensworth costs and that amount could still be $5-10K. What if someone (a supporter) outside of the school wants to help out? I am not against the policy or the scholorships at all. My only point was BA, MBA, Ensworth and others who can give aid will use it to build good athletic teams. That's fine with me, but to deny it happens is unrealistic.

I know the feeling. But it does stink when ya leave the game and then hear a big crowd roar fro your own team`s side.

Yeh, and the sad part is, I leave early then stay up late on Coach T.

I made it clear I was not wanting to whine about a loss or accuse Ensworth of doing anything wrong.

Did I accuse you of whining? I just corrected an very incorrect statement.

Your above explanation may be correct, but you are naive to think athletic recruiting does not occur. The reality is that if you can give financial aid, athletic recruiting will always occur. I don't know what the maximum financial aid amount is (maybe you do), but unless it is very big, the difference between what Ensworth costs and that amount could still be $5-10K. What if someone (a supporter) outside of the school wants to help out? I am not against the policy or the scholorships at all. My only point was BA, MBA, Ensworth and others who can give aid will use it to build good athletic teams. That's fine with me, but to deny it happens is unrealistic. Yeh, and the sad part is, I leave early then stay up late on Coach T.

Hmmm. If you are a by-product of a CPA education, I would ask for a partial refund for the inability to teach you reading comprehension. A quote from my post: "No TSSAA sanctioned schools are allowed to recruit. That's not to say that some publics and privates don't 100% abide by those rules." I most definitely acknowledge that there are schools that look past the rules - public and private. I'm not sure of the exact amount, but I believe the maximum award can not exceed 60% (I may be wrong, but that is in the ballpark).

A quote from you: "What if someone (a supporter) outside of the school wants to help out?" Last I checked, it's not exactly super cheap to attend CPA. Perhaps this is going on at your school. How clean is your house?

Well you are absolutely wrong about the 60% because I know for a fact several Ensworth students/players are receiving nearly 100% financial aid.

And just because the TSSAA says recruiting is not allowed it is a reality, but not just in the private sector. Do you think the Alcoa's and Maryville's of the world have all home grown talent.