Karns vs. Powell

osunut2

Powell will win and move to 3-0. They have maybe 2 more wins on the schedule.

I think the only games that Powell have to really worry about losing is West, Central, and Maryville. Halls will be a tough game, but I think Powell can get it done. SD, Anderson Co., and Karns will be hard fought games, but these shouldn't be as tough as the possible 3-4A play-off teams.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am suprised that powell has done this well.... how are they doing it without that many return starters? is there Defense that good? How the heck is a small line like that Doing so well?

also my first post YAY!

I was out of town for the Campbell County game, but here's what I saw in the Lenoir City game last week. The 2-platoon system is clearly keeping the team fresh for 48 minutes, which has been an issue for Powell for years. They are also playing as a 'team' rather than relying on one or 2 star athletes, which has been great to see. Because they run a spread no-huddle offense, it helps spread the opposing defense out, which gives them a much more favorable matchup, considering their lack of size. The no-huddle has kept defenses on their heels, which has really allowed them to open up the offense.

Kier Houston has been a welcome surprise at quarterback. He's quick, agile, and is a great decision maker who has an accurate arm as well. Oddly enough, he's had ample time to throw in the pocket, but he can throw the ball like a dart on the run. The defense is very quick to the ball, but their achilles' heel is definitely up front, due to their lack of size. It will be interesting to see how they handle Karns tonight. Karns won't give them the fits that teams like Maryville, West, Central, and Halls will, but they are still a much bigger test than what they've seen the last 2 weeks.

I was out of town for the Campbell County game, but here's what I saw in the Lenoir City game last week. The 2-platoon system is clearly keeping the team fresh for 48 minutes, which has been an issue for Powell for years. They are also playing as a 'team' rather than relying on one or 2 star athletes, which has been great to see. Because they run a spread no-huddle offense, it helps spread the opposing defense out, which gives them a much more favorable matchup, considering their lack of size. The no-huddle has kept defenses on their heels, which has really allowed them to open up the offense.

Kier Houston has been a welcome surprise at quarterback. He's quick, agile, and is a great decision maker who has an accurate arm as well. Oddly enough, he's had ample time to throw in the pocket, but he can throw the ball like a dart on the run. The defense is very quick to the ball, but their achilles' heel is definitely up front, due to their lack of size. It will be interesting to see how they handle Karns tonight. Karns won't give them the fits that teams like Maryville, West, Central, and Halls will, but they are still a much bigger test than what they've seen the last 2 weeks.

Good points.... So what is the deal with the Offensive line... looking at there roster and seeing there size and lack of experience.... they seem to be doing good... alot better than people were expecting....how?

what do you think about these guys?

Good points.... So what is the deal with the Offensive line... looking at there roster and seeing there size and lack of experience.... they seem to be doing good... alot better than people were expecting....how?

what do you think about these guys?

I don't know a lot about the guys on the line personally, but they seemed to handle Campbell County and Lenoir City up front pretty well. 'Tex' Clemons was able to run the ball pretty well in both games, but again, I don't know if they can do it against better competition. They aren't blowing guys off the line, but they are holding their blocks, and they have been making holes. The fact that they are running the spread has a lot to do with that. The read-option appears to be one of their best plays, and Kier has looked great running that. They have made a plethora of big plays from that same formation. Again, tonight's game will be telling because Karns has a more physical front line on both sides of the ball.

I don't know a lot about the guys on the line personally, but they seemed to handle Campbell County and Lenoir City up front pretty well. 'Tex' Clemons was able to run the ball pretty well in both games, but again, I don't know if they can do it against better competition. They aren't blowing guys off the line, but they are holding their blocks, and they have been making holes. The fact that they are running the spread has a lot to do with that. The read-option appears to be one of their best plays, and Kier has looked great running that. They have made a plethora of big plays from that same formation. Again, tonight's game will be telling because Karns has a more physical front line on both sides of the ball.

yes ... cant wait til tonight... although i have to work tonight....dang!

yes ... cant wait til tonight... although i have to work tonight....dang!

I'm curious to see how the weather effects the game. I'm not sure when the rain is supposed to stop, but it has rained a ton already today, and it's supposed to continue until late afternoon. I'm not really sure who that favors. I would assume that the team with the better running game would benefit, which would probably be Karns in this case.

Powell's O-line

LT Jordan Goodman 6-1 190 SR

LG Caleb Hinton 6-0 210 SR

C Andy Courtney 6-0 210 JR

RG Josh Ferguson 5-10 250 SR

RT Matt Hudson 6-1 200 SR

Back-ups

OL Tanner Butler 6-0 180 SR

OG Jordan Driver 6-3 250 JR

OT Austin Smith 6-1 220 FR

Powell's offense is made for their o-linemen since they don't have to drive someone down field. All they have to do is get a body on a body and the RB is suppose to find a hole made by the defense's play. Also Kier Houston has ample time passing is because everyday they are working on pass-blocking, so they're not new to trying to pass block for 3 seconds or more.