What's Happening in 4A?

jrlcm

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to do that right now and in our second year not doing too bad. They have better resources at this time but we are working.

The coaching staff may only be in the 2nd year but Hillsboro was good even before that staff got there. and it also helps to have open enrollment. Just imagine putting Kenwood and Clarksville together.

Hillsboro lost (yeah, I know to a private school)

MoWest is down.

Melrose lost.

Red Bank seems to be down.

What's going on?

Will it come down to Maryville and Maplewood?

Well, I am new to this message board and I am also a new fan of Powell High School. I know that Powell just lost to Maryville, but you can't count them out just yet. They are a very young team and has a new quarterback that only has 4 games under his belt, but as every game goes by, he will get better and the team as a whole will get better. I am not saying that they will kill Maryville if they play again, but it will be a different game and the outcome will be different.

Maryville will remain No.1 in the state in my mind till someone manages to beat them.

Seems like everyone around here is picking Maryville to lose this week, so it's a little refreshing to get on this thread and hear everyone saying that we're pretty much going to have a cakewalk back into the state championship.

MHS back to the Boro is not a given.

If MHS is going to have a hiccup in their run of dominance, it will be this year -- with an uncharacteristically small group of linemen and a very immature run game.

What is different about Maryville? Culture. These boys eat, drink and sleep football from the time they are little kids. It's a small community so they all have known previous players, whether it was a brother or a cousin or just some high school kid who became a hometown celebrity. These kids don't want to be the ones to drop the ball and end the streak. They're at school every morning pretty much year round weight training. In the off season they get together to study plays and run drills...all without coaches present or prompting them to do so. They know what it means to be next level. MHS went to state in 97 (or 98) and got beat down by Pearl Cohn. Since that time, they've understood that there is another level of dedication, commitment and effort. That allows them to go further. I talked to a former Rebel this weekend who is now coaching at another program. He was telling me how different it was to see kids thinking that they are giving their all when he knows that they have more in them. When Maryville practices and plays...there's no more in them. You get their all because this game is what they're all about.

So, throw in a ton of community support (parents who will sacrifice to get kids to practice, fans who are contantly encouraging, etc) and an amazing staff of coaches and you get the mighty mighty Red Rebels.

Seems like everyone around here is picking Maryville to lose this week, so it's a little refreshing to get on this thread and hear everyone saying that we're pretty much going to have a cakewalk back into the state championship.

MHS back to the Boro is not a given.

If MHS is going to have a hiccup in their run of dominance, it will be this year -- with an uncharacteristically small group of linemen and a very immature run game.

What is different about Maryville? Culture. These boys eat, drink and sleep football from the time they are little kids. It's a small community so they all have known previous players, whether it was a brother or a cousin or just some high school kid who became a hometown celebrity. These kids don't want to be the ones to drop the ball and end the streak. They're at school every morning pretty much year round weight training. In the off season they get together to study plays and run drills...all without coaches present or prompting them to do so. They know what it means to be next level. MHS went to state in 97 (or 98) and got beat down by Pearl Cohn. Since that time, they've understood that there is another level of dedication, commitment and effort. That allows them to go further. I talked to a former Rebel this weekend who is now coaching at another program. He was telling me how different it was to see kids thinking that they are giving their all when he knows that they have more in them. When Maryville practices and plays...there's no more in them. You get their all because this game is what they're all about.

So, throw in a ton of community support (parents who will sacrifice to get kids to practice, fans who are contantly encouraging, etc) and an amazing staff of coaches and you get the mighty mighty Red Rebels.

Outstanding post Papa. This is something that several folks know, but deep inside many are afraid to pay the price of that "level of dedication." Its like Tiger Woods brought another level of play and practice to golf, Maryville brings another level of play and practice to Tennessee High School Football. Its a system, its a belief, and its expected. GQ and staff are the best in the business around these parts. There are probably 10-15 other staffs in the state that are somewhat close but not yet to that level. The rest are just not anywhere close.

Outstanding post Papa. This is something that several folks know, but deep inside many are afraid to pay the price of that "level of dedication." Its like Tiger Woods brought another level of play and practice to golf, Maryville brings another level of play and practice to Tennessee High School Football. Its a system, its a belief, and its expected. GQ and staff are the best in the business around these parts. There are probably 10-15 other staffs in the state that are somewhat close but not yet to that level. The rest are just not anywhere close.

There are a few programs who aspire to excellence. /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Papa chaos great post.

I'm not downing Maryville one bit because they are a elite program and untill someone finally beats them then will be the time to ask some questions. Will it be this week against a 5-A Blount co. opponent? Everyone will be looking for this score friday night or saturday morning.

I think Willy Blount has a excellent chance. Burnette has been nearly perfect all season throwing the ball. Can he keep this up and against a excellent run stoping defense can Maryville's line adjust? Maryville still has many playmakers even with some injury troubles. Maryville should be state champions again but the back door is cracked open just a little bit more than in recent years. Who knows what may develop. thats what makes High School Football so great to watch.

Wow, a game where someone is truley picking Maryville's opponent. Or at least giving them a good shot.

It is time that Maryville really gets aggressive with the schedule. Alcoa and WB are games that need to be played.

One game every year in the Heritage spot with the best of the best. It's time, all of the others around the nation are doing it. I would like to see how they compare.