Officiating........how has it been?

slits-shady

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are getting worse every year. I believe they need a pay increase so we could have higher expectations, and they should be forced to be more responsible for the calls they make , along with actually understanding the game and not just the rules. I saw a crew the other day whos average age had to be 75 , they missed several calls on deep passes down the sidelines because they couldn't run or see further than 20 yards.

Most blatant and ridiculous abuse by officials was the Hillsboro v. Franklin game.

Lightning begins in third quarter with Hillsboro in lead 14-7. Officials did not decide to stop game until Franklin had the opportunity to tie the game. The final Franklin drive was aided by doubtful pass interference call on fourth down early in drive and then Franklin was given a new set of downs after terrible "roughing the passer" call on fourth down at the Hillsboro goal line.

It was obvious that the officials wanted a tie before stopping the game. Otherwise they could have stopped the game before point after attempt. Game was stopped immediately after the Franklin extra point to tie the game.

Most severe lightning all night was just prior to the snap about five plays before the Franklin touchdown. Clearly the officials felt that they could "call the game? and everyone could go home if the game was tied. We all know how that worked out???

I could also question two ball spots on third and fourth down during the Hillsboro v. MBA game but that is a whole other story.

It seems to me that some high school officials are considering circumstances beyond the play on the field (score of game, location of game) when making decisions. Throwing flag on fourth down to ensure another chance to tie the game is a new low in officiating.

I guess my vote is that officiating so far this year has been less than good.

Most are smart alecks and jerks, both to coaches and players. Why shouldnt a coach be able to ask a ref about a call that is obviously wrong? These guys are on a power trip and get their egos hurt when someone challenges them. And they know its wrong. Thats what ticks me off. And another thing, I think these guys need to be more concerned with getting a call right rather than worryin about all the non-football stuff...ie watch the line, or, you cant wear a certain wristband or towel. Seems like they get off on provin how big and bad they are by fussin at a kid for something that has nothing to do with the game. I know i've ranted a lot, but thats the state of officiating these days. Worry about everything but the game itself. And greene county officials are the absolute worst!!!! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" But at the same time...im not talkin bout all of them...just about 90 percent of them!!! So if you are an official in the good 10 percent...dont get ill over this!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I agree that most of our officials are getting older and slower, but instead of bad mouthing the officiating, why don't you get yourself a whistle and bring some new blood and youth to each associations. I think most associations across Tennessee are having a shortage so any new officials would be welcomed with open arms. In case anybody would like to register, you can go to TSSAA.ORG. Click the link for new officials. Thanks. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Most are smart alecks and jerks, both to coaches and players. Why shouldnt a coach be able to ask a ref about a call that is obviously wrong? These guys are on a power trip and get their egos hurt when someone challenges them. And they know its wrong. Thats what ticks me off. And another thing, I think these guys need to be more concerned with getting a call right rather than worryin about all the non-football stuff...ie watch the line, or, you cant wear a certain wristband or towel. Seems like they get off on provin how big and bad they are by fussin at a kid for something that has nothing to do with the game. I know i've ranted a lot, but thats the state of officiating these days. Worry about everything but the game itself. And greene county officials are the absolute worst!!!! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" But at the same time...im not talkin bout all of them...just about 90 percent of them!!! So if you are an official in the good 10 percent...dont get ill over this!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

The wristband/towel rules are from the National Federation of State High School Associations.

If you look for the NFHS web site, you will find the differences between Fri. night, Sat. night, and Sun. night rules.

There are more uniform changes comming and most coaches are aware of them. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

www.nfhs.org

Most blatant and ridiculous abuse by officials was the Hillsboro v. Franklin game.

Lightning begins in third quarter with Hillsboro in lead 14-7. Officials did not decide to stop game until Franklin had the opportunity to tie the game. The final Franklin drive was aided by doubtful pass interference call on fourth down early in drive and then Franklin was given a new set of downs after terrible "roughing the passer" call on fourth down at the Hillsboro goal line.

It was obvious that the officials wanted a tie before stopping the game. Otherwise they could have stopped the game before point after attempt. Game was stopped immediately after the Franklin extra point to tie the game.

Most severe lightning all night was just prior to the snap about five plays before the Franklin touchdown. Clearly the officials felt that they could "call the game? and everyone could go home if the game was tied. We all know how that worked out???

I could also question two ball spots on third and fourth down during the Hillsboro v. MBA game but that is a whole other story.

It seems to me that some high school officials are considering circumstances beyond the play on the field (score of game, location of game) when making decisions. Throwing flag on fourth down to ensure another chance to tie the game is a new low in officiating.

I guess my vote is that officiating so far this year has been less than good.

Amen

Ok...I know there is a shortage of officials...but it seems like the ones they do have should be held accountable for something. It just gets very frustrating sometimes when dealing with them. And they know that no matter what kind of game they call, they're still gonna get their check at the end of the night. And yes you are right about the whole towel and wristband thing...but my point was, they spend all their efforts worrying about nit picky stuff like that rather than whats going on in the game itself. They miss obvious calls because they're looking at someones arm! I know and understand they're gonna miss calls...that's part of the game and it's going to happen. But those numbers of missed calls wouldn/t be so high if they would pay more attention to the game itself. And i also agree with someone else, that they should know more about the game...and not just know the rulebook word for word. I've seen the rule book, and boy, some of the ways those things are phrased could make a 40 year nfl veteran confused! But anyway, I dont want to ruffle any feathers...but officiating needs to get better. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Ok...I know there is a shortage of officials...but it seems like the ones they do have should be held accountable for something. It just gets very frustrating sometimes when dealing with them. And they know that no matter what kind of game they call, they're still gonna get their check at the end of the night. And yes you are right about the whole towel and wristband thing...but my point was, they spend all their efforts worrying about nit picky stuff like that rather than whats going on in the game itself. They miss obvious calls because they're looking at someones arm! I know and understand they're gonna miss calls...that's part of the game and it's going to happen. But those numbers of missed calls wouldn/t be so high if they would pay more attention to the game itself. And i also agree with someone else, that they should know more about the game...and not just know the rulebook word for word. I've seen the rule book, and boy, some of the ways those things are phrased could make a 40 year nfl veteran confused! But anyway, I dont want to ruffle any feathers...but officiating needs to get better. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Amen

Science hill vs Tn high was the worst officiated game this season by far. Offensive pass interference on a receiver that was thrown around in the air? Ridiculous. The Stripes affected the game all the way to the final whistle, which is sad. Tn high is forced to punt when tied 10-10 with about 2 minutes left in the game. An SH player obviously tipped the punt and the ball was shanked yet there was a roughing the kicker call briskly followed by 1 of 3 personal fouls/unsportsmanlike conduct penalties against the toppers in the 2nd half. This gave TN HIGH 30 yds. Greg Stubbs still tried to run the clock to OT but the REFS were flag happy the whole night except when it mattered most. On Mason Canty's 39yd game winning touchdown pass to Thomas Turnbull there was an obvious hold where the TN right tackle THREW DE Will Rentel on the ground right in front of the ref, but NO CALL. Also when the Toppers scored a touchdown in the 3rd qtr and kicked off DB A.J. Hart was clipped TWICE on cover. Yet no call. Jeff Baker would return the kick to the Topper 9 and would have scored if not for Corey MacPherson's tackle. Yet the Topper defense held. Hart forced the ball from Canty on a 4th down attempt and the play was blown dead. It was SH ball but who knows what could have happened on that Play, WITH Zach Jordan INTERCEPTING a TOSS to the TN tailback on a previous drive. Late hits, holds, false starts, and numerous clips on Aaron Trent were missed or ignored the whole evening. Give Credit to TN HIGH for the win but give credit to the officials for HANDING IT TO THEM.

coach john, similar LIGHTNING officiating was dealt to science hill during a scrimmage against Austin East. They ran out a 23-6 lead when the sky darkened and lightning began. East rallied to tie the game and the officials called the whole thing and sent SH from KNOXVILLE 90 miles back to JOHNSON CITY after less than an hour of scrimmaging.