DII State Tournament

mtnman

I may be way behind the times but I was cruising around the TSSAA site and looking at the brackets.

I knew DII split into A and AA but I guess I never thought about how it will effect the state tournament.

Only four teams will advance after substate play. (kind of like DI but they have eight teams)

Do we just not have enough fields in Chattanooga or what? Is this good for soccer in Tennessee?

Looks like these teams will play a semifinal on Thursday and a final on Friday.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be way behind the times but I was cruising around the TSSAA site and looking at the brackets.

I knew DII split into A and AA but I guess I never thought about how it will effect the state tournament.

Only four teams will advance after substate play. (kind of like DI but they have eight teams)

Do we just not have enough fields in Chattanooga or what? Is this good for soccer in Tennessee?

You are correct. DII will still have 8 teams in Chattanooga, but it will be 4 from DIIA and 4 from DIIAA, not 8 from each.

Pardon the cliche, but it seems very appropriate:

You can??™t have your cake and eat it too

The cake would be....? Not following.

Nort sure I followed that either. However . . . in Div IIAA, Mid-East Region, we have 10 teams. 5 will advance to state quarterfinals, and 3 from the West. Games will be played at the higher seeded school's site (four games). This is on the TSSAA web-site girls' soccer rules. Then the four winners to State. For Mid/East regional play it seems that the top 6 (of the 10) teams would have to have byes the first round, then #7 play #10, and # 8 play #9. Then you'd be left with 8 teams to fill four Mid/East Regional semi's. I presume the fours winners of those games would then go on to join the 3 teams from the East (see above). What beats me is how the 5th team from the Mid/East will be determined. Dazed and confused.

Nort sure I followed that either. However . . . in Div IIAA, Mid-East Region, we have 10 teams. 5 will advance to state quarterfinals, and 3 from the West. Games will be played at the higher seeded school's site (four games). This is on the TSSAA web-site girls' soccer rules. Then the four winners to State. For Mid/East regional play it seems that the top 6 (of the 10) teams would have to have byes the first round, then #7 play #10, and # 8 play #9. Then you'd be left with 8 teams to fill four Mid/East Regional semi's. I presume the fours winners of those games would then go on to join the 3 teams from the East (see above). What beats me is how the 5th team from the Mid/East will be determined. Dazed and confused.

In DIIA we have the same situation in the West region. 5 out of the 6 teams in the west will fill the 5 of the 8 spots, with 3 going to teams from Mid/East. The region tournament in the west has 6 teams with 1 & 2 getting a first round bye. On day 1, 3 v 6 and 4 v 5. Winners advance to semi's. The losing teams of that first set of games have to play again to determine who the 5th place team will be and advance to one of the final 8 slots in the state playoffs. The playoffs continue to determine a 1-4 finish with losers of the semi's playing to determine 3 and 4 from west.

In DIIA we have the same situation in the West region. 5 out of the 6 teams in the west will fill the 5 of the 8 spots, with 3 going to teams from Mid/East. The region tournament in the west has 6 teams with 1 & 2 getting a first round bye. On day 1, 3 v 6 and 4 v 5. Winners advance to semi's. The losing teams of that first set of games have to play again to determine who the 5th place team will be and advance to one of the final 8 slots in the state playoffs. The playoffs continue to determine a 1-4 finish with losers of the semi's playing to determine 3 and 4 from west.

You both have me very confused. Where do you get 8 spots.

DII A West will send 2 Teams to State--DII A East Will send 2 Teams to State

DII A/A West will send 2 Teams to State--DII A/A East will send to Teams to State

Team A will play Team B

Team C will play Team D

Winner A/B plays Winner C/D for Championship. T here will be 2 DII State champs. DII A and DII A/A

You both have me very confused. Where do you get 8 spots.

DII A West will send 2 Teams to State--DII A East Will send 2 Teams to State

DII A/A West will send 2 Teams to State--DII A/A East will send to Teams to State

Team A will play Team B

Team C will play Team D

Winner A/B plays Winner C/D for Championship. T here will be 2 DII State champs. DII A and DII A/A

I think my problem may in my mis-use of some of the terminolgy. First . . . DivIIA . . . and DIV IIAA are two entirley different divisions, and each will have their own state champion. In DIV IIAA, the Mid/East is a new region this year, made by collapsing the middle and the east. They will send 5 teams, and the West 3 teasm to what I will call a "sub-state". So, that makes 8 Div.IIAA teams playing eachother (according to seeding) in 4 sub-state games, and then sending the four winners to STATE tournament. Really, check out TSSAA.ORG, and click HANDBOOK at the top, and then choose girls soccer. It explains it in there.

I think my problem may in my mis-use of some of the terminolgy. First . . . DivIIA . . . and DIV IIAA are two entirley different divisions, and each will have their own state champion. In DIV IIAA, the Mid/East is a new region this year, made by collapsing the middle and the east. They will send 5 teams, and the West 3 teasm to what I will call a "sub-state". So, that makes 8 Div.IIAA teams playing eachother (according to seeding) in 4 sub-state games, and then sending the four winners to STATE tournament. Really, check out TSSAA.ORG, and click HANDBOOK at the top, and then choose girls soccer. It explains it in there.

I give up. Either I am dumber than a brick or you just like to hear yourself post. There is no 5 and 3. All the East teams (Mid/East as you call it) will play for TWO spots. Same in the West. The brackets are on TSSAA.

I give up. Either I am dumber than a brick or you just like to hear yourself post. There is no 5 and 3. All the East teams (Mid/East as you call it) will play for TWO spots. Same in the West. The brackets are on TSSAA.

Go on the Handbook and look on page two, DIV.II and you can see what I am stating: 8 teams playing in what they call a quarterful round. Teams are seeded 1 through 3 in the WEST, and 1-5 in the Mid/EAST. They play eachother on the higher seeds home field. This is precisely where I got my info. Then the winners of those 4 games go to "the big show" for STATE. You are not a dumb brick, nor am I liking to hear myself post. Just trying to clarify. YOU MUST look at page two to get this inbfo., because the first page is not Div. II, which is what I've been writitng about.

Go on the Handbook and look on page two, DIV.II and you can see what I am stating: 8 teams playing in what they call a quarterful round. Teams are seeded 1 through 3 in the WEST, and 1-5 in the Mid/EAST. They play eachother on the higher seeds home field. This is precisely where I got my info. Then the winners of those 4 games go to "the big show" for STATE. You are not a dumb brick, nor am I liking to hear myself post. Just trying to clarify. YOU MUST look at page two to get this inbfo., because the first page is not Div. II, which is what I've been writitng about.

OK I'm going for the "dumber than a brick" award, if the "page 2" you referenced holds up. I was working off info I read earlier when the split occurred. What is giving me problems, is the tournament brackets. They are not set up as page 2 details. It shows 4 teams playing for 2 spots to play for the Championship. Thus 2 from W and/or 2 from M/E can end up winning and yes 2 from the same geographic area can be in the finals. So Baylor can play Ensworth or St. Agnes can play ECS, or any combination of the mix. I just don't see where the tournament has been designed to accommodate more than 4 teams from A or AA. While page 2 does "weight" the regions, the State Championship schedule does not. We need someone better advised to "splain this to Lucy". Sorry to question you earlier. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />