Important question

wosbodog

Well everybody, I'm considering returning to the wrestling mat for my senior year, but here's my dilemna:

I've already committed to my school's drama club and I'm going to be involved in a lot of school plays and that kind of stuff pretty much year round. That's my first priority; absolutely nothing is going to stop me from doing it. The problem is that my coaches probably aren't going let me be on the team, since I could be missing a lot of matches and practice. Is there some way I could compete in region and state without being sanctioned by my school? Probably a dumb question but I have to try.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably going to go with yes. Part of being a wrestler is the attribute of commitment. Such as you are with drama, those involved want/require a certain amount of commitment. It would not be fair to other wrestlers on the team who bust their rears day in and day out to have someone come in when it's convenient. You would either lose a wrestle-off or take a kid's spot who probably deserves to wrestle in the region and state because of the commitment to the team. Every team is different, that's just the way I see it.

I hear ya.

Since you're (CoachBray) a pretty important figure in the wrestling community, I'll take it a lot of people agree with you.

In that case, forget I asked. I guess I won't be wrestling unless I can find time to be part of the team 100 percent.

Thanks for stopping me from doing something wrong.

I hear ya.

Since you're (CoachBray) a pretty important figure in the wrestling community, I'll take it a lot of people agree with you.

In that case, forget I asked. I guess I won't be wrestling unless I can find time to be part of the team 100 percent.

Thanks for stopping me from doing something wrong.

Wosbodog, you have 2 passions. But you asked a question that you truely knew the answer to. Go with the dramas and plays but continue to be a fan and supporter of wrestling. Sometimes we need people on the side like you promoting the sport more than we do wrestling. How would 14 varsity wrestlers feel if you showed up at a meet with about 20 of the play production team to yell them on. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

You guys are right. Theater is my #1 passion. Looking back at how much wrestling has physically and mentally tormented me in the past, there's no way I can do both, much less stay healthy and happy. I love the sport, but I'm not willing to base my life around it. The reason I wanted to do it this year wasn't out of love for wrestling; it was more for my school. We've never had a state champion, and I wanted to leave a legacy by being the first. Most of all, I wanted to impress a certain female individual. But seeing the situation from another's perspective has helped me realize that's probably not a good idea. Reading your opinions and advice (even if it was just two people) really does make a difference. Yes, I will continue to be a fan and supporter of the sport, but I don't plan to wrestle. Thanks for helping me make a hard decision.

That's going to do it for me tonight. I'll try not to be so personal in future posts.

You guys are right. Theater is my #1 passion. Looking back at how much wrestling has physically and mentally tormented me in the past, there's no way I can do both, much less stay healthy and happy. I love the sport, but I'm not willing to base my life around it. The reason I wanted to do it this year wasn't out of love for wrestling; it was more for my school. We've never had a state champion, and I wanted to leave a legacy by being the first. Most of all, I wanted to impress a certain female individual. But seeing the situation from another's perspective has helped me realize that's probably not a good idea. Reading your opinions and advice (even if it was just two people) really does make a difference. Yes, I will continue to be a fan and supporter of the sport, but I don't plan to wrestle. Thanks for helping me make a hard decision.

That's going to do it for me tonight. I'll try not to be so personal in future posts.

Slightly different take here. I am not convinced you cannot do both with some level of success in each activity. I suggest you give yourself some more time before you etch any decision in stone. As for being a state champion, you are likely kidding yourself. There is a reason your school hasn't had one. It is da_ _ed difficult even for guys who live and breath wrestling let alone someone who is only a part timer. That doesn 't mean you can't enjoy the sport and help your team. If you are even thinking about being a state champ , unless you are a true Walter Mitty, you must have had some success in the sport. Can you help your team win dual meets ? Can you win a wrestle off at your natural weight ? This is a big one because if you have been struggling to drop a weight class it might be the sole reason you are a bit burned on wrestling. If the answer is yes , why not talk to your coach about giving you some flexibility. My experiance is there are very few teams in TN who have the kind of depth they can toss a decent guy just because he has additional interests. I know of several teams who are always on the lookout for a warm body , male or female , just to pick up some forfit points from some other short handed team. Someone who could actually win some matches would be welcome in these wrestling rooms. I am making assumptions you are not a discipline problem, are a willing worker when you are at practice, and keep your grades up. I would like to see schools do more to facilitate multi sport athletes as well as those with interests in music , acting etc. High school should be a time to try several activities to find the best fit. Perhaps your AD or principal can help discuss the matter with the coach if he insists on taking a hard line. To me there is a big difference between the kid who misses a practice to participate in another school activity and the one who shows up when there is nothing good on tv. Good luck with your senior year , on and off the mat.

I never say never, but the way I see it there is no middle ground. To me wrestling isn't worth doing unless I can do something really significant, like winning state. Even if I fail, it's the pursuit of that goal that gives it meaning. But my heart isn't really in this sport, which is why I quit in the first place, after my sophomore year. I spent most of that year hoping to get injured so I could leave without being considered a "quitter". I remember in my last match ever, at the 2006 state tournament, I was getting beat up by the 5th-ranked wrestler in the weight class. I wasn't even thinking about the wrestling; I was actually thinking about what I was going to eat (since I had cut a lot of weight) and also "thank goodness this is my last match". So I didn't wrestle my junior year, and that was the first year I actually enjoyed high school. Now a lot of the young guys on the wrestling team want me back on the mat; everyone seems to think I would do well. I kept telling them no, but then got to thinking as long as I can still do the things I love, like theater, there's no reason I can't wrestle on the side. But you guys taught me last night that wrestling isn't a sport you just do on the side.

So I ask myself the questions:

Q: Am I willing to work as hard as everyone else on the team?

A: Yes. I've been jogging for miles at a time all summer, I can still get all the conditioning I need on my own, and I can give an extra effort on the days that I would be at practice.

Q: Could I win state?

A: Maybe. I haven't gained a lot of weight since my sophomore year. A lot of the top guys from last season are guys I have beaten, or guys I know I could have beaten. But it would still be a long shot.

Q: Can I be as committed as everyone else?

A: No. The drama club is my first priority. I would have to work around it.

Q: Do I actually want to wrestle?

A: No. I mainly want to win state so I can dedicate it to a girl I like. I also want to set an example for the younger guys who look up to me, and I want to leave my school a winner. As for my own interest, no, absolutely not. I never would have quit if I really enjoyed wrestling. The parts about the sport I like I can just as easily enjoy as a spectator.

Well there we go. I don't know if those are the words of someone who really should be on the wrestling team. What do you think? As of now, I plan to just be in the drama club, but I will try to help the team as much as I can and I'll always love the sport.

I seem to have sparked some interest. Sorry for making so many personal posts, but maybe this will help out other wrestlers who are in my shoes.

Finally, I want to thank everyone. I do appreciate your concern a lot. I'm glad you guys are helping me out.

wosbodog