A football fantasy

georgiafan

I'm a native of Georgia - living in Tennessee. I had a thought the other day, and though a million stars would have to align, I was thinking it would be nice if there were some competition between some of the Georgia private schools (primarily in Atlanta) and the private schools in Tennessee. Travel between Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga to and from Atlanta would be no different than a road trip to Memphis from Knoxville or Chattanooga. There would be outstanding competition, with fine football programs in and around Atlanta like Marist, Westminster, Lovett, and Woodward - just to name a few. Well, if DII ever leaves the TSSAA and the Georgia schools ever leave the GHSA - maybe there could be some sort of super conference. I for one would love to see a Westminster-McCallie game, or a super game like BA- Marist. It would be nice to see how the two states stack up...

any thoughts.

McCallie actually played Lovett in 2005, with McCallie winning 34-0.

The only programs I am vaguely familiar with are Westminster and Marist. A staff member at Westminster who is familiar with Nashville football hasn't thought the Wildcats would fare too well against the Nashville schools (BA and MBA), and based on a glimpse I saw of Westminster a few years back, I would agree. Marist, on the other hand, would be tough competition year-in, year-out. I saw them in their state game in 2003 and they would have matched up well with MBA's title team from that year.

I, too, would like to see more Atlanta-Tennessee matchups.

McCallie actually played Lovett in 2005, with McCallie winning 34-0.

The only programs I am vaguely familiar with are Westminster and Marist. A staff member at Westminster who is familiar with Nashville football hasn't thought the Wildcats would fare too well against the Nashville schools (BA and MBA), and based on a glimpse I saw of Westminster a few years back, I would agree. Marist, on the other hand, would be tough competition year-in, year-out. I saw them in their state game in 2003 and they would have matched up well with MBA's title team from that year.

I, too, would like to see more Atlanta-Tennessee matchups.

Thanks for the reply. I had forgotten about the Lovett-McCallie matchup. I actually graduated from Marist, so I appreciate your comments. It's a pretty special place for school and football - 250 boys play football in grades 7-12, 24 straight years in the playoffs, 11 win average per season over that time. I agree that a matchup with MBA would be awesome.

Do you happen to know Steve Franks? He was the athletic director at Marist when I was there, left to work at Vanderbilt (his kid(s) went to MBA, and I think his wife taught there), and now he's back in Atlanta at Lovett. He'd probably know better than anyone how the two schools would match up.

Well, I know Marist goes into another reclassification/region regrouping after this season... maybe somebody could put the idea into the coaches heads.

How about that stadium in chattanooga. McCallie and Baylor aren't using it...