Filming games

LSMFT

After the NFL Patriots got busted for filming the other teams signals, I wonder if this has ever been done in HS? Can Joe Fan go to a game and film the game for another school? Can they film signals of there next opponent? I would presume this is illegal, but I would bet somewhere somebody got caught with there dip stick in the oil can.

How bout it?

This was in the Chattanooga Times Free Press just last friday about this subject

TSSAA assistant executive director Gene Beck filled the Times Free Press in on how the recent NFL illegal-taping controversy with the New England Patriots affects high school football. The NFL fined the Patriots and coach Bill Belichick last week for illegally taping the New York Jets' defensive signals on Sept. 9.

1. The TSSAA 2007-08 Handbook Football Regulations states: "No schools may tape or film a practice or a game involving two other teams. A school may tape or film its own practice or its own game." How long has that rule been in the handbook?

"I can't say it's always been there, but it was created and added at some point when there was a conflict. The schools initiated this regulation for their own protection, but it's been there for 25 years or so, I'm sure."

2. How do you think a controversy like this affects high school football?

"Let's hope it's isolated. I really feel like our coaches have more worries than trying to steal signals. They're trying to teach 15-16 kids how to block and tackle -- that's a bigger issue than to steal signals. I'm sure there will be some trickledown, but it has not been brought to our attention. ... I think most of our people may have refined our signals, maybe if anybody else is trying to steal them like how the second baseman tries to pick up the catcher's signals in baseball. They switch them around enough."

3. Speaking of baseball, are there any other policies like this regarding signals in the other sports in the TSSAA?

"You probably deal with unwritten rules and guidelines and what's ethical conduct -- gamesmanship versus ethical conduct and that sort of thing -- and we'll never be able to legislate that. Some things, like stealing catchers' signs, probably is more accepted out there in the baseball world than videotaping someone's football signals. That's kind of new on the horizon here."

4. Since it can't be legislated, has gamesmanship ever been a problem?

"I think there are situations that come up from time to time. One that comes up every now and then in tournament play is if I lose a game and end up in a better bracket, is it not the right thing for me ... to lose a game so I can advance? Some would call that gamesmanship; some would call that below the board. I think the bigger picture, if we isolate it to sports, there is a level of sportsmanship that is acceptable and it's an unwritten rule. If we don't protect that level, then we are part of the demise of our own game."

5. On the other side of taping, you always hear about football coaches exchanging tapes or game film before a game. Is it policy or is it a gentlemen's agreement between the teams?

"I think it's more of a gentlemen's agreement. I think many regional opponents may have regional guidelines they've all agreed to, that 'We will swap three tapes, the last three.' Not everyone does it. If everyone would swap videotapes and have an understanding that they would, it would be a lot easier on our coaches. They do review videotape like that and it creates a little bit a of negative feeling if someone says, 'I don't want to swap with you.' "