high school or club

vbrocks

Speaking of (club play) could anyone advise me of any club play in the Cookeville Area, or surrounding counties or who I might contact in this area? Thank you /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

A couple of the Cookeville girls play at IMPACT (impactvbc.org). Lot of road time but it has been worth it. Great coaching, great kids, and pleanty of exposure to college coaches. As far as this topic is concerned, I agree that you need both HS and Club. If your goal is to play at the college level Club will allow you much more exposure to the college coaches. HS ball is a very important part of their HS experience. Team/school spirit etc. but unfortunately (as noted above) the HS season is the same time as the college season so many of the college coaches just can not get to games.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catuballer speaks out on an issue very near and dear to her heart:

For those who are considering not playing club, just realize that tradition rich AC is the exception and not the norm. As a matter of fact, it is very rare. I would say that AC has probably had the most amazing success at the high school level for kids playing at the collegiate level (without playing club) than any other high school in America.

If you decide to not play club and want to play in college, it is possible under the following circumstances:

You are at least 5'11 and athletic

You put together an amazing unedited skills tape and unedited game footage and send it to at least 50 universities/colleges

Your high school team needs to make it to the final 4 in the state tournament and you need to shine

Your high school coach has connections at the collegiate level - or you have other personal connections

Get advice from PHargis

Any one of the above or combination can be helpful

Flip side: If you play club and not high school

Need to be able to prove to college coaches that your high school coach is a nut case (there are more than a few out there) and that you really don't have a bad attitude. Because, as you know, in volleyball, attitude is everything.

As bad as some of the high school coaches are, they mean more than you think to college coaches. It comes down to attitude.

Oh, and by the way, how is Cookeville doing this year?

Catuballer speaks out on an issue very near and dear to her heart:

Oh, and by the way, how is Cookeville doing this year?

Catuballer, where have you been. Always did support Cookeville. Check out the 7AAA thread, Cookeville remains undefeated in 7AAA. Taking one game at a time. Sorry GLJ and P4K know its off topic but I had to answer.

Here's my .02.

High school, short season, happens during college season, and very few college coaches make it out.

Next question, is what does the high school coach have to offer? I have seen many hs coaches that are mediocre in skills to say the least. Couldn't coach a competetive volleyball team with 6 all state players. Doesn't know what a quick play is, of any type. Best advice given during a game is "Move your feet". If a kid doesn't play club, chances are you will not get noticed in one of these programs. Few college coaches want to work through "raw" talent.

Club season is longer. Off the college season. All college coaches hit major tournaments. Hi-Neighbor in Asheville, Big South Classic, Regionals in Huntsville, Shamrock in Roanoke. All big tourneys boast about the number of college coaches coming to scout.

Out of the club program that I am affiliated with, all of our seniors last year went on to play college ball.

Ken

Club ball cannot ever replace the experience of playing a sport for your own high school. There is something special about working hard for your alma mater, playing your best, getting recognition in pep rallies, dressing up on game days, having friends and other students come see you play your matches and cheer for you, etc. It seems to be a special experience whether college scouts see the players or not. It would be a real shame for anyone to miss that experience if they could lend talent to a particular team for their school.

I asked my daughter which she had more fun at...playing high school ball or playing club ball. High school won easily. Club ball has it's place, but it's like work. Anyone ever play college sports on a scholarship? It's like a job - that is how my daughter described playing club. She loved and enjoyed the girls she played with on her Impact team very much and they had success...but there wasn't that special feeling of playing for something bigger...like she described playing for her high school team.

Just my 2 cents.

Club ball cannot ever replace the experience of playing a sport for your own high school. There is something special about working hard for your alma mater, playing your best, getting recognition in pep rallies, dressing up on game days, having friends and other students come see you play your matches and cheer for you, etc. It seems to be a special experience whether college scouts see the players or not. It would be a real shame for anyone to miss that experience if they could lend talent to a particular team for their school.

I asked my daughter which she had more fun at...playing high school ball or playing club ball. High school won easily. Club ball has it's place, but it's like work. Anyone ever play college sports on a scholarship? It's like a job - that is how my daughter described playing club. She loved and enjoyed the girls she played with on her Impact team very much and they had success...but there wasn't that special feeling of playing for something bigger...like she described playing for her high school team.

Just my 2 cents.

CU, nice to see you post, it's been awhle. Rather odd that you and CATU both posted for the first time in a long time, about the same time. Coincidence?? Also, CATU mentioned something about agreeing with Phargis, I'm really starting to wonder if you and CATU might be one in the same! /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

CU, nice to see you post, it's been awhle. Rather odd that you and CATU both posted for the first time in a long time, about the same time. Coincidence?? Also, CATU mentioned something about agreeing with Phargis, I'm really starting to wonder if you and CATU might be one in the same! /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Interesting theory. You may be on to something.

You have to admit that you agree with me regarding the high school versus club issue - right?

High school ball is more fun and I think all girls should play - but please read on.

If college isn't an issue, I would not play club. It is too expensive (clubs are all about making money and holding it over your head that they have the keys to your free education, which ultimately costs the parents an arm and a leg anyway)and truthfully, club ball is all about getting a scholarship. If you want to improve your game without the high cost of club fees, etc., then form a local team, get some lessons, ask your high school coach for some additional instruction in the off season, etc. High School ball can be really fun, unless of course, you have a coach who thinks that everyone that plays high school should live and die by volleyball and that if you don't do everything perfectly, they treat you like you aren't worth anything. If you have one of those coaches and don't want to play in college -then why play?

And, if you want to play in college and have one of these dictator-like high school coaches, you better learn to eat crow and just let them rule you. It is a good lesson in life. Life is not always fair, and yes, you do have to play the political game sometimes to get what you want. The easy way out is to quit or talk back, but it takes character to be respectful in a situation where you are being treated unfairly or harshly. High school coaches sometimes forget they are just that - a high school coach. They don't walk on water and kids are not on scholarships, so if kids don't want to be treated like second class citizens, then they will just quit and should in some cases (only in extreme situations where there is physical or mental abuse). Face it, some coaches have taken it too far and need to get a grip on the important things in life.

Note: High school coaches that are routinely having players quit. Maybe you should lighten up and figure out a way to get the most out of your players by being positive, yet constructive, and make it fun for them. It can be done and you can be successful doing it that way despite the theory that being a hard * is what coaching is all about.

How many AC signees were before the last 5 years?

How many were in the last 5 years?

I didn't see a response to your question - 17 on the list have played at AC since I've been around - 7 years - and my daughter is on the list... /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Yikes! Who stepped on the cat's tail? /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I will halfway agree with you about playing club with the hopes of getting a college scholarship. For the #1 and #2 "travel" teams with the strong programs, I would tend to agree with that. The #3 and beyond teams are (in my view/opinion) the girls who seek to play better and enjoy the game. They also tend to have the coaches that aren't hyper aggressive. Neither pro nor con there, just an observation. With a club program that's not as strong, you could argue the #2 team and maybe even #1 team isn't out to get a scholarship. Just depends on the competitive landscape in that area and what the program's goals are.

P.S. Welcome out of retirement, catuballer. Still don't understand that affinity for Culleoka! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Announcements