7-AAA District Tournament

lovevb

Just curious as to whether you contribute Siegel's "success" to the coaches (apparently 6 on the bench in some games), or to the possibility that they spend more on club than all other teams in the district combined? Is it possible you underachieve if you don't win district every single year?

Don't know whether this is a legitimate question or if there is some other point being made by the question. With the poster having only made one post it very likely is a point being made but I will try to answer it since I don't realize the point. Siegel doesn't have six coaches. but does have ample help in the program and resources of those who have played that help can be given but certainly the Coach can answer the question. Certainly having a University in town allows some interested to help. It is a fact that some players do play club and this past year some players at the school who didn't play, play club also. To answer the question somewhat, Siegel has a program from Middle School thru High School and those who are serious about the game or not serious, can get instruction while playing. And that being so, some serious players do play club in the summer. Does that mean Siegel should win the District every year? I am sure they would like to but it is not the case. The discussion concerning "Club and High school, which is the best" on this thread might give one some insight on advantages or disadvantages. Now if the question means something about how much do the families spend on Club, I'm unsure if anyone has the answer to that nor if anyone would share it with anyone. The interesting thing is that on Coach T, I have found just about someone in every school has played Club of some kind but travel keepssome from going.

It is the same with AAU basketball, Soccer, Tennis, Bowling and Golf. Evidently there are some kids who like to excel in what they do. There is a Club at MTSU and Clubs around Middle Tennessee that players join so everyone does have a chance.

I would hope the thought of underachievement is there if the district is not won and enough work is put in to it to do so. The outward appearance is those who play are serious players and feel the need to help their TEAM to win. I personally think that there is Coaches in every school in 7AAA to provide top notch instruction and strategy.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight, at LHS, Lebanon won the 7AAA District tournamt beating Siegel 3-1 in about as hard fought match as sone would see played. Yes it was one of the noisiest matches in recent times. District awards were given and Green of Cookeville was named MVP of the season. Numerous players were named all District and ther was an all District Freshman team. I don't have a list of the players listed but I am sure someone will list the players involved.

Very likely, the region finals could be these same two teams.

CONGRATS to Lebanon. They were the team to beat in the 7-AAA district tournament. They wanted it and they got it in a very impressive manner. Icelyn Elie was a blocking machine tonight. Best of luck to both Lebanon and Siegel at Regions. Both teams will represent our district well.

Don't know all the names for the All-District but here is what I do know.

MVP - Kaycee Green - Cookeville

1st Team

Ellee Agee - Cookeville

Samantha Mayberry - Cookeville

London Elie - Lebanon

Icelyn Elie - Lebanon

Taylor Mense - Blackman

Ashley Zeek - Blackman

Morgan Faulkner - Siegel

Kristen Cantrell - Siegel

(I know there were a couple more but I am sorry but can't remember names)

2nd Team

Selena Mullinax - Cookeville

All Freshman

Julie Brooks - Cookeville

Brooke Faulkner - Siegel

Hopefully someone can fill in the rest of the names. Congrats to all the award winners. Looking forward to next year already.

I would like to thank LoveVB for the posts that have been made and the in formation that comes out of Cookeville. It takes interested fans to take the interest in doing these posts. Since this is the end of the season for a couple of the teams tonite, I thought this post might be appropriate.

Brandon Campbell Gym was where the semifinals were held this evening between 4 of the top teams in 7AAA. As Mary posted, at this point, the main feature was the low ceiling which did come in to play numerous times during the matches. There is so much history in that building, only those who appreciate the history can overlook the carooms and change of direction. Lebanon High School does need a new facility and I would bet it happens in the next five years.

Cookeville did play LHS tonite and in the past 4 years, I personnaly had not seen a crowd from Lebanon as intense and fired up as i did tonite. As Cookeville found out, LHS was ready to play and won in three. LHS, I am afraid, took Cookeville out of their game mainly because of a couple of players 7AAA has now watched 3-4 years who this poster called the Twin Towers back when they entered school. The team and coach was as intense and fired up as was the crowd. Two yellow cards were give, one to each team, in the first game. For those who have not seen a 7AAA match, it was 7AAA VB at its best with emotion and electricity.

While Cookeville has a great program and Coach, it is evident that LHS has started building as program and more players were seen participating at a recent JV/Varsity match than had been seen for some time and it was close to the end of the season. The Coach really seems to be doing a great job.

The twin towers dominated the match so much it took Cookeville's GREAT middle, Green, out of her game and made Cookeville change their game plan. Green has been mentioned as likely one of the best players in the mid state. Senior London Elie, patroled the net on defense and on offense threw darts at the other side of the net and it was obviously unnerving. and did as much to contribute to LHS's win as ony player. In talking with Elie after the match she stated she had not comitted to any school but she would like to play VB in College even though she is good in Basketball and is a high jumper in track.

I was not able to interview the senior from Cookeville but maybe someone can post her intentions at this point. if it is one of their middles, she would make someone a good player.

The second match was won by Siegel 3-1 and I am sure Coach Mary has some details which certainly is not available to this poster. The coach at Blackman has really brought this team along and it would appear this program is on solid footing. The last half of the season, they competed with everyone they played and was because the motivation this coach gave to the team. Blackman can be proud of their team and coach.

LHS's opponent in the finals tomorrow night will be Siegel. Cathy Slaughter and ASST Coach Slaughter have again made it to the finals and the Region. It is difficult to realize the program at Siegel being built in 4 years and this year the success achieved after losing two great junior players from last years team. This would have destroyed most teams but only reinforces the strength of the program to be able to reload. Slaughter, known as a great teacher of the game, continues to bring good players along and stay near to the top of the District. A strict disciplinarian and a believer in good chemistry, Coach Slaughter continues to have a good team and good players.

So it is important to win at this point, first to have a home court advantage and second, after the district finals, if one loses, the season is over. For those seniors who have played 4 years, played in a final 4 State tournament and 3 regionals, their career is something they will remember the rest of their life.

So if you happen to be diriing tward Lebanon tomorrow night and would like to see two grat teams play a very good brand of volleyball, Come by Lebanon High school and See the 7AAA finals but expect there will be a lot of noise and while its not Halloween, expect the fans to be dressed in regala that you would be surprised parents and students would wear. Its 7AAA District Finals time with two great Schools playing to try to get to the STATE TOURNAMENT held in the BORO>

Kaycee Green is actually Cookeville's GREAT outside(left) hitter. Ellee Agee is Cookeville's GREAT middle. Congrats to them on a great season. Congratulations to Lebanon also, but it takes more than taking one player (out of 6) out of her game to win a match. PEACE OUT

CONGRATS to Lebanon. They were the team to beat in the 7-AAA district tournament. They wanted it and they got it in a very impressive manner. Icelyn Elie was a blocking machine tonight. Best of luck to both Lebanon and Siegel at Regions. Both teams will represent our district well.

Don't know all the names for the All-District but here is what I do know.

MVP - Kaycee Green - Cookeville

1st Team

Ellee Agee - Cookeville

Samantha Mayberry - Cookeville

London Elie - Lebanon

Icelyn Elie - Lebanon

Taylor Mense - Blackman

Ashley Zeek - Blackman

Morgan Faulkner - Siegel

Kristen Cantrell - Siegel

(I know there were a couple more but I am sorry but can't remember names)

2nd Team

Selena Mullinax - Cookeville

All Freshman

Julie Brooks - Cookeville

Brooke Faulkner - Siegel

Hopefully someone can fill in the rest of the names. Congrats to all the award winners. Looking forward to next year already.

From Siegel - 2nd Team

Bryna Hoffman

Lauren Stanz

Lebanon was the team to beat this year at tournament. They came to play and played very well. I congratulate all the teams on a great season. Good luck to both teams advancing on to Regionals. Make sure you all represent 7AAA volleyball.

I also wanted to say that I applaud with those chosen for the All District team, especially Cookeville's Kaycee Green as MVP. Cookeville's Ellee Agee (great middle hitter) and Samantha Mayberry (great setter and defensive player), Melissa Judd from Sparta (always great defense). London and Icelyn Elie from Lebanon, Mense, Zeek, Faulkner and Cantrell. (Sorry I don't remember their names or the others who won). Each girl recognized represented their whole team, because as we all know, volleyball is a team sport. You can't have great hitters without a great setter, and a setter can't be great unless they have great passers.

Lebanon was the team to beat this year at tournament. They came to play and played very well. I congratulate all the teams on a great season. Good luck to both teams advancing on to Regionals. Make sure you all represent 7AAA volleyball.

I also wanted to say that I applaud with those chosen for the All District team, especially Cookeville's Kaycee Green as MVP. Cookeville's Ellee Agee (great middle hitter) and Samantha Mayberry (great setter and defensive player), Melissa Judd from Sparta (always great defense). London and Icelyn Elie from Lebanon, Mense, Zeek, Faulkner and Cantrell. (Sorry I don't remember their names or the others who won). Each girl recognized represented their whole team, because as we all know, volleyball is a team sport. You can't have great hitters without a great setter, and a setter can't be great unless they have great passers.

Fisher- Warren County

As I sit here this morning reflecting on last nights match betwwen Blackman and siegel , I think about our first match against siegel. I remember posting how Seigels blocking was the determining factor in that match. Then I think about the next match that Blackman won. Seigels blocking was nonexistent. Last night , back to great blocking. Defense wins CHAMPIONSHIPS ( who said that??? ). On another note , I cant help but feel sad for the seniors. Not just for Blackman , but for all seniors leaving. As I told my daughter last night , if you can honestly say you gave it everything you had , then your a champion in my heart. Ashley Zeeck is my daughter and she gave it her all and I'm very proud of her. Her senior year was full of ups and downs , as most of us know . She chooses not to continue playing volleyball at the next level. Much to my and my wifes dismay . We feel,as many parents do about their children, that she would make some school a great player.But we move on . There is more to life than sports. So I close out my posts for Blackman Volleyball forever. Will continue to read and enjoy the great insights. GOOD DAY!!

Aot recognized the hard work of Miss Zeek did get her All District. Maybe this might change her mind to prolong her career. Good Luck.

To finish up this thread, Lebanon beat Lincoln County and Siegel beat Coffee county in the Regionals tonight and then Siegel beat Lebanon 3-0 to take the Regional title. Now to the Substate, Lebanon travels to OOLetwah and Siegel hosts the runnerup of that region on October 18th at 7:00.

London Elie was MVP of the regional. The rest of the regional team was Icelyn Elie of Lebanon, Siegel had three, Kristen Cantrell, Morgan Faulkner and Lauran Stans and I did not pick up the rest of the players which were from Coffee and Lincoln County. If someone has the rest of the players, would you please post them.

To finish up this thread, Lebanon beat Lincoln County and Siegel beat Coffee county in the Regionals tonight and then Siegel beat Lebanon 3-0 to take the Regional title. Now to the Substate, Lebanon travels to OOLetwah and Siegel hosts the runnerup of that region on October 18th at 7:00.

London Elie was MVP of the regional. The rest of the regional team was Icelyn Elie of Lebanon, Siegel had three, Kristen Cantrell, Morgan Faulkner and Lauran Stans and I did not pick up the rest of the players which were from Coffee and Lincoln County. If someone has the rest of the players, would you please post them.

I don't know about Lincoln County, but Courtney Page from Coffee County got it. Coffee County had an off night. We could not get a rhythm going for anything, our setter was getting called for a lot of double hits which ment our hitters couldn't do anything, or our setter was getting bad passes, and it just got worse from there. We are a better team than what was on the court Tuesday night. Theres always next year. Congrats to siegel for their win.

I don't know about Lincoln County, but Courtney Page from Coffee County got it. Coffee County had an off night. We could not get a rhythm going for anything, our setter was getting called for a lot of double hits which ment our hitters couldn't do anything, or our setter was getting bad passes, and it just got worse from there. We are a better team than what was on the court Tuesday night. Theres always next year. Congrats to siegel for their win.

it was obvious that Coffee was a better team than they showed. They did look a little nervous being in the Region it was thought.