10/u - Born on or after - July 1, 1996

11/u - Born on or after - July 1, 1995

12/u - Born on or after - July 1, 1994

13/u - Born on or after - July 1, 1993

14/u - Born on or after - July 1, 1992

15/u - Born on or after - July 1, 1991

16/u Jr. Eligible - Born on or after - January 1, 1990 - No Change

Open - Born on or after - July 1, 1988

Will effect teams across the state? Are the different age teams from last year going to just take their younger girls down to make up a new team? Are they going to take some down, keep others up and add players that are older? Or are whole teams going to reform to make themselves "older" and thus almost unbeatable for the other teams that somewhat regroup?? Thoughts?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> It will be interesting to see how each team works this new rule. Whether or not they regroup, move up or down, I am sure that each will have the best interest of the athlete in mind. Developmentally and emotionally some parents and athletes may deem it necessary to play down as it will be a better fit for their child. While others may choose to stick with the group that they have already bonded with. Sounds like there are going to be a lot of heartfelt decisions coming up.

Maybe the new rule will put classmates together. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

How does everyone think this ruling of the new ages:

8/u - Born on or after - July 1, 1998

9/u - Born on or after - July 1, 1997

10/u - Born on or after - July 1, 1996

11/u - Born on or after - July 1, 1995

12/u - Born on or after - July 1, 1994

13/u - Born on or after - July 1, 1993

14/u - Born on or after - July 1, 1992

15/u - Born on or after - July 1, 1991

16/u Jr. Eligible - Born on or after - January 1, 1990 - No Change

Open - Born on or after - July 1, 1988

Will effect teams across the state? Are the different age teams from last year going to just take their younger girls down to make up a new team? Are they going to take some down, keep others up and add players that are older? Or are whole teams going to reform to make themselves "older" and thus almost unbeatable for the other teams that somewhat regroup?? Thoughts?

IS THIS TRUE OR JUST A QUESTION? WHEN DID THIS TAKE PLACE? WHEN DOES IT START?

It obviously hurts the small clubs more. Im not saying this is a bad rule change . it is what it is!

I agree..........but it seems like that is what the majority of folks want. Just seems like that we would be doing things to help increase participation, but everything done seems like it is going the other way. There won't be AAU in 5 years at this pace.......

It obviously hurts the small clubs more. Im not saying this is a bad rule change . it is what it is!

I will have to disagree, this will help our small club be able to bring the girls that have had Dec. birthdates and be able to play with their own teammates.

I will have to disagree, this will help our small club be able to bring the girls that have had Dec. birthdates and be able to play with their own teammates.

I think that the teams who want to win national championships will have to change their teams to have the older and/or better players with the new ADD. I think that teams that have been together for awhile will keep their teams for the most part and play up.

In other words the larger clubs that are used to winning will change. The smaller clubs that were formed because of friendships/etc will want to stay the way they are and will have to play up based on the older girls age.

I don't understand this answer. You must be talking about middle school and older teams. What becomes of the younger players on those teams now? On younger teams that have a mix of birth dates and classes (4th and 5th graders or 5th and 6th graders), this could make for some very hard decisions and can potentially break a team right down the middle. In areas that don't have the large organizations, this can spell the end of some girls basketball if they can not find another local team to play down on if they are on the younger side and can now play down. It can also make teams that are younger and play up to play at a disadvantage because you know the Team Prides, Hoopstars, and other large organizations will just reorganize their girls in the most advantageous way for them to compete by getting the girls on the upper or older range of players. I think this year will see some extremely strong teams that are able to do this and may lead to some lopsided games.

I think that the teams who want to win national championships will have to change their teams to have the older and/or better players with the new ADD. I think that teams that have been together for awhile will keep their teams for the most part and play up.

In other words the larger clubs that are used to winning will change. The smaller clubs that were formed because of friendships/etc will want to stay the way they are and will have to play up based on the older girls age.

I should have read this post first before I posted my last post. I totally agree and because of that the smaller clubs will be at a lesser competitive level unless they too adjust.

I will have to disagree, this will help our small club be able to bring the girls that have had Dec. birthdates and be able to play with their own teammates. I will have to disagree, this will help our small club be able to bring the girls that have had Dec. birthdates and be able to play with their own teammates.

This rule change is going to kill small town clubs. I have 4 or 5 girls young enough to still play 10U, but the rest of the team has to move up to 11U. Smaller towns just don't have the numbers to choose from to make up their teams so youngger girls have to play up just to a team. With this rule change we will either have 10's playing girl getting ready to 13, or we want have a team this year!

THANKS FOR THE CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This rule change is going to kill small town clubs. I have 4 or 5 girls young enough to still play 10U, but the rest of the team has to move up to 11U. Smaller towns just don't have the numbers to choose from to make up their teams so youngger girls have to play up just to a team. With this rule change we will either have 10's playing girl getting ready to 13, or we want have a team this year!

THANKS FOR THE CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recrute like the big clubs do. Surely there are kids from nieghboring communities that want to play. Maybe make two teams?