CPA-Riverside

divepix

I watched the 18 - that's right 18 - total players for Riverside Christian play as hard as they could against CPA last night and couldn't help but make these observations:

1. In their first full year of football, they are suffering the same fate CPA did about 15 years ago. But look at CPA now. I wish Riverside every success as they build their program and as these tough times give them an appreciation of where they have come from when they are winning in a few years. Hats off to those 18 young men who never quit last night.

2. A game like this should never really happen, but it is so hard for CPA to get non-region schools to play them and fill a schedule unless they play up. It is similar to what I am sure the major college teams deal with in scheduling.

Here are some things I did see last night that I have not seen before in all my years following CPA:

1. Riverside's QB (according to rumor) didn't play because he was on vacation.

2. CPA had eight 8th graders dress out and play the 4th quarter. They scored 2 TD's and had another called back, despite the mercy rule being in effect.

3. CPA led 28-0 after the 1st quarter and had a TD called back, despite fair catching every punt and running almost every play rather than passing.

4. And the best one of all, CPA's last PAT was a drop-kick! And it was perfect - would have probably been good form 30-35 yards out splitting the uprights.

Again, hats off to Riverside for playing hard under tough circumstances, and hat's off to CPA's coaches for doing all they could to show good sportsmanship in a game that could have been 150-0.