Region 8 AA-A Finals set

VolunteerGeneral

From the Jackson Sun...

In the Region 8 A-AA semifinals Thursday at Covington, Madison eliminated Fayette Academy, 6-0, and McNairy ousted Covington, 6-1. Madison (16-3-1) and McNairy (12-2-1) play at 4 p.m. on Monday at Covington for the championship.

Alyse Flack scored three goals to lead Madison's victory. Olivia Poteete had seven saves.

"Getting back some injured players has been a bonus," Madison coach Jeremy Honors said. "We know McNairy will be a physical team; so we'll have to play well."

Jourdan Kirk's three goals and Autumn King's seven saves led McNairy to its win over Covington. Jalissa Stackens added two goals for the Lady Bobcats.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my "limited" understanding and the explanation that I have been given over the last four years of my daughter's play at Madison: West Tenn. has many areas that do not have the interest or the coaching/money to field a team. Region 8 is made up of District 15 & District 16. District 16 only has one school that has a team (and actually this is there first year) and they were rolled in to our tournament. So in essence, this was our District and Regional rolled into one. We will play our Championship on Monday. First will play Region 7s 2nd place and our 2nd will play there first. Basically, we play two less tournament games than the rest of the state, but there's nothing else that can be done. You can't play a team that doesn't exist??? Soccer is slowly catching on in West TN., but for the most part, the talent is still coming out of Jackson...USJ, JCS and Madison. I hope this explanation helps???

From my "limited" understanding and the explanation that I have been given over the last four years of my daughter's play at Madison: West Tenn. has many areas that do not have the interest or the coaching/money to field a team. Region 8 is made up of District 15 & District 16. District 16 only has one school that has a team (and actually this is there first year) and they were rolled in to our tournament. So in essence, this was our District and Regional rolled into one. We will play our Championship on Monday. First will play Region 7s 2nd place and our 2nd will play there first. Basically, we play two less tournament games than the rest of the state, but there's nothing else that can be done. You can't play a team that doesn't exist??? Soccer is slowly catching on in West TN., but for the most part, the talent is still coming out of Jackson...USJ, JCS and Madison. I hope this explanation helps???

Yeah, I thought that was the case. The same thing happens in the guys season. I know there is nothing that can be done for it, but it does seem a bit "unfair" that those teams play 2 less tournament games than the other teams across the state (which would not take into account any injuries that could take place in those games, knock out rounds, or general fatigue).

The only possible solution is to combine more districts together, but I don't think that is very reasonable or realistic.

CLfan, thanks for the clarity.

hahahaha..yeah I posted the same thing last year. It does get a rise out of folks who are competing still for a district championship. There`s just not much that can be done though. Memphis Mitchell was the only team in district 16 so they have put them into our district tourney and made it a region tourney. I honestly don`t know why they do it that way. We have 8 teams in district 15. We are divided up into 2 4-team divisions. Included in our district are Covington and Fayette Academy which are both 1 county over from Shelby County.

But at the same time this is Memphis Mitchell`s first year to have a soccer program. If they were forced to play regular season district games that caused a lot of required travel then who knows if they would have decided to not even have a team because of the travel expenses.

Hopefully West TN will send two good teams to state. The likely candidates are Madison Academic, JCS, USJ, and McNairy. Those are the four best teams in West TN. Madison was the best team 2 years ago and lost in the first round to Notre Dame 3-0. I think they would have done much better against against Chuckey Doak. That was McNairy`s first round matchup. Last year USJ made it to the championship, so beware.

My daughter is a senior now and over the last 4 years I can say there is some growth for soccer in West TN.

Good Luck to all the teams still left. Keep your dreams alive.

hahahaha..yeah I posted the same thing last year. It does get a rise out of folks who are competing still for a district championship. There`s just not much that can be done though. Memphis Mitchell was the only team in district 16 so they have put them into our district tourney and made it a region tourney. I honestly don`t know why they do it that way. We have 8 teams in district 15. We are divided up into 2 4-team divisions. Included in our district are Covington and Fayette Academy which are both 1 county over from Shelby County.

But at the same time this is Memphis Mitchell`s first year to have a soccer program. If they were forced to play regular season district games that caused a lot of required travel then who knows if they would have decided to not even have a team because of the travel expenses.

Hopefully West TN will send two good teams to state. The likely candidates are Madison Academic, JCS, USJ, and McNairy. Those are the four best teams in West TN. Madison was the best team 2 years ago and lost in the first round to Notre Dame 3-0. I think they would have done much better against against Chuckey Doak. That was McNairy`s first round matchup. Last year USJ made it to the championship, so beware.

My daughter is a senior now and over the last 4 years I can say there is some growth for soccer in West TN.

Good Luck to all the teams still left. Keep your dreams alive.

VG - as I recall we had the same scenario on the boys side of things, Two years ago it was Memphis Sheffield that did the same thing - the only team out of District 16 that fielded at team in our District 15 playoffs.

VG - as I recall we had the same scenario on the boys side of things, Two years ago it was Memphis Sheffield that did the same thing - the only team out of District 16 that fielded at team in our District 15 playoffs.

That was actually the team that I was referring to (they did have some talented teams, though, and we faced them twice in the state tournament over the past several years).

My hope is that as TN high school soccer grows, it will continue to do so out in the western part of the state, so that more schools will have squads.

Madison won the region 8 championship tonight played on a very wet and sometimes sloppy field in Covington TN. It rained there pretty much all day, however the rain stopped before the game. Still the field was very wet.

Final score was

Madison Academic 2

McNairy 1

A shout out to the folks from Covington for being very good hosts. Nothing they could do about the wet conditions. It`s suppose to be raining again tomorrow as well.

GO MUSTANGS!