small private schools in central and east Tennessee

Trojan Fan

DII-A is so small with so few schools. Only King's Academy and St. Andrews-Sewanee are in the class in East Tennessee and David Brainerd left after last year. Neither of the first two compete for the playoffs, either, and I'm sure it's b/c outside of Davidson Academy there are no DII-A schools outside of Memphis and travel is just horrendous. Some of that is due just to the goofiness of Tennessee's shape...but can't do anything about that.

Just for competitive purposes, it would be nice to have some in the east and central to get more teams competing for the playoffs. Any chance of that? Any schools that are candidates for that to join the league to get enough teams to form a district over that way?

DII-A is so small with so few schools. Only King's Academy and St. Andrews-Sewanee are in the class in East Tennessee and David Brainerd left after last year. Neither of the first two compete for the playoffs, either, and I'm sure it's b/c outside of Davidson Academy there are no DII-A schools outside of Memphis and travel is just horrendous. Some of that is due just to the goofiness of Tennessee's shape...but can't do anything about that.

Just for competitive purposes, it would be nice to have some in the east and central to get more teams competing for the playoffs. Any chance of that? Any schools that are candidates for that to join the league to get enough teams to form a district over that way?

I think Zion Christian tried to go the Pvt. route last year??? I don't remember the details but somehow they were not allowed to. I know Lancaster Christian in Smyrna will be a full fledged TSSAA participant either next year or the next, but I'm not sure if they are coming in as a 1-A or DII-A.

The current travel requirements for a school such as Davidson Academy is awful. Playing regular season away games in Memphis etc. etc. Very few people in the visitor's stands other than family...not good at the gate, concessions etc.

combining AA and AAA i think was a good thing. The loss of David B and St andrew was a good thing for the A. There is better competive ball. Look at the 3 way tie for third place.

Other teams will eventually come due to the multiplier. Once more teams in Nashville join, then knoxville will be in with a EAST AND WEST. Nashville will go either way. Knoxville is closer that Memphis anyway. Not to mention Jackson schools and Chatt schools. The multiplier has done all of this. Just to make public schools happy.

Division II

DivisionII and YF, Do you see other schools joining DII-A (small)? I see mention above of a couple of Nashville area schools? I know there are certainly a number of private schools playing Division I. I remember Fayette Academy used to play in the MPSA and it surprised me that they didn't want to play DII. Trinity Christian and Jackson Christian in Jackson both play DI. What would keep a school from playing DII? I can understand private not getting to play DI but what would keep them out of DII?

I agree that Brainerd and Sewanee not playing has made it more competitive but I'm not sure I'd mind them playing if there were just a few more schools overall. TRA has had a bad year but they will get better...and Rossville has some good coaching and plays tough. If we just had enough for 2 distinct divisions, the teams that aren't as competitive wouldn't be as noticeable.

I agree about the tie for 3rd place right now. It's actually a 4-way with DA, BB, FACS, and Harding all tied at 3-3. It does make it interesting. Too bad for Bishop Byrne that they played tougher teams out of the division and will likely miss the playoffs because of it. FACS scheduled smarter and they're in no matter what happens tonight. Unless we lose to FACS tonight (which could happen), Division II, we'll see you guys back at SBEC again in 2 weeks. Just don't get anybody hurt against TRA.

Elaborate, if you would, on the multiplier. I know girls only and boys only schools have their enrollment doubled for classing purposes. Are private schools playing D-I all having something like that done to make them play "up"?

DivisionII and YF, Do you see other schools joining DII-A (small)? I see mention above of a couple of Nashville area schools? I know there are certainly a number of private schools playing Division I. I remember Fayette Academy used to play in the MPSA and it surprised me that they didn't want to play DII. Trinity Christian and Jackson Christian in Jackson both play DI. What would keep a school from playing DII? I can understand private not getting to play DI but what would keep them out of DII?

I agree that Brainerd and Sewanee not playing has made it more competitive but I'm not sure I'd mind them playing if there were just a few more schools overall. TRA has had a bad year but they will get better...and Rossville has some good coaching and plays tough. If we just had enough for 2 distinct divisions, the teams that aren't as competitive wouldn't be as noticeable.

I agree about the tie for 3rd place right now. It's actually a 4-way with DA, BB, FACS, and Harding all tied at 3-3. It does make it interesting. Too bad for Bishop Byrne that they played tougher teams out of the division and will likely miss the playoffs because of it. FACS scheduled smarter and they're in no matter what happens tonight. Unless we lose to FACS tonight (which could happen), Division II, we'll see you guys back at SBEC again in 2 weeks. Just don't get anybody hurt against TRA.

Elaborate, if you would, on the multiplier. I know girls only and boys only schools have their enrollment doubled for classing purposes. Are private schools playing D-I all having something like that done to make them play "up"?

all private schools playing in DIV I have a multiplier of 1.8. That means that if a school has 100 high school students, to TSSAA, they have 180. The public schools have complained for years about the recruiting and financial aid that some private schools can offer. This is the satisfying result.

I know that many private schools will never compete for a gold ball having that over them. (exceptions lately have been Friendship Christian last year loosing to Jackson Christian in state and Goodpasture Christianloosing in state) Davidson and others decided it was too much and we want to play schools of equal size to some degree. TRA is an example of a smaller small division team. DA FACS SBEC are pretty equal in enrollment. Harding is larger and st george is a little smaller. nothing will ever be the same exactly, however, you want it to be close. David B and St andrews just did not have the numbers to compete, almost like TRA. They need to add about 100 kids at TRA to compete.

You will see alot of teams come in soon. Do not know how soon. I know that Donelson Christian Academy played Harding in a none region game and EZEL HARDING ACADEMY played Bishop. DA played BGA, a division II AA team and Jackson Christian as our none region games. Find it kinda weird that DCA went to memphis and Ezel went to memphis and we played Jackson Christian. Starting to see people getting there feet wet alittle bit.

DII

Oh,

I forgot to wish you guys good luck. We lost to FACS in a fluky play with 3 minutes on the clock. That is how the ball bounces. We ran good against them. I think you will be in good shape. Number 3 is their play maker. He is a good athlete.

Hopefully we will see you again in two weeks.

DII

I think Zion Christian tried to go the Pvt. route last year??? I don't remember the details but somehow they were not allowed to. I know Lancaster Christian in Smyrna will be a full fledged TSSAA participant either next year or the next, but I'm not sure if they are coming in as a 1-A or DII-A.

The current travel requirements for a school such as Davidson Academy is awful. Playing regular season away games in Memphis etc. etc. Very few people in the visitor's stands other than family...not good at the gate, concessions etc.

Did number 12 break his finger?

just wondering

DII