Jefferson County(Off season thread)

JC4life

Thought I better start this thread now cause if not people will just sink off till around spring. I know we did grades for coaching in the middle of the season but now that the season is over I`m interested in seeing how everyone grades the individual units as well now. Might as well give mine to kick things off

QB-We didn`t ask ask Zack to do very much in the passing game, so when we did we basically had to have perfect execution because there weren`t many chances for Zack to get into any kind of rhythm. The passing game was up and down for the most part, can`t say that we passed very well or very badly. Zack did do a very good job running the offense and managing the game(at least when the got the play in on time) Option was up and down much like like the passing game, its hard to gauge how well we executed the option because we may have been calling for Zack to hand off more than keep and set up the pitch. Didn`t seem to me that we actually got out and ran the option very much.

Grade-B+

RB/FB- I`m going to say up front that the grade for this group is going to lower than it should just because of the sheer number of fumbles we had. We lost some games for no reason other than turnovers, and fumbles from this group was a large part. Other than fumbles I thought our backs did a very good job considering how many men in the box they had to run against. We basically rode Brooks to wins in most games.

Grade-B-(should be an A)

WR/TE- We underutilized this unit for much of the season, so its very hard to give out a grade. Most of the times our WR just blocked, we did have a great average per catch number from all of our WR's(none averaged below 9yds a catch but we only completed 24 passes all year) We didn`t use our TE at all, forget glorified blocker, our TE was just an extra linemen.

Grade-B+

O-line- Another unit thats very hard to grade, we asked our line to block 8 guys just about every play. Its a wonder we were able to move the ball going up against that many guys in the box. Personally I think the line did a great job considering the circumstances, we had our share of guys get beat, but we also dominated the line of scrimmage at times. My grade might surprise some people, if it does just consider how hard it is to block as many guys as we faced most games

Grade-A-

D-line-Tell of two units, we got great production from our DT's, but our DE's barely ever showed up. I can`t think of another time when we`ve had two playmakers at the DT spot. We probably have had similar guys before my time, but I`ve never seen it at Jeff County. The only thing this unit didn`t do very well was rush the passer, which is where our lack of playmaking DE's came in IMO

Grade-B+

LB-Like most good Jeff County good teams, the strenght of the defense was in the LB's(especially in the middle). Yeary was a search and destroy missile all year, we haven`t seen one LB make so many plays on his own since who Todd Collins? Out of all guys we`ll miss next year, Yeary has to be at the very top.

Grade-A+

CB/Safety-Achilles heel of the defense, I know we had some injuries, and we didn`t put our guys in the best position to make plays, but when it came down to it we simply didn`t get it done in the secondary. Secondary got better when McFall was put at CB, but we still struggled overall.

Grade-C-

Special teams-Didn`t add a kicker till right before the 1st game, so its a wonder we were so good in the kicking game. Kicker came in a did a great job(S.Hill comes to mind), punting was up and down but we didn`t lose because of it. Did some good things returning when we had the chance, and we really never gave our opponent a chance to set up a return.

Grade-A

I`ll save coaching grades for another day, thoughts?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I better start this thread now cause if not people will just sink off till around spring. I know we did grades for coaching in the middle of the season but now that the season is over I`m interested in seeing how everyone grades the individual units as well now. Might as well give mine to kick things off

QB-We didn`t ask ask Zack to do very much in the passing game, so when we did we basically had to have perfect execution because there weren`t many chances for Zack to get into any kind of rhythm. The passing game was up and down for the most part, can`t say that we passed very well or very badly. Zack did do a very good job running the offense and managing the game(at least when the got the play in on time) Option was up and down much like like the passing game, its hard to gauge how well we executed the option because we may have been calling for Zack to hand off more than keep and set up the pitch. Didn`t seem to me that we actually got out and ran the option very much.

Grade-B+

RB/FB- I`m going to say up front that the grade for this group is going to lower than it should just because of the sheer number of fumbles we had. We lost some games for no reason other than turnovers, and fumbles from this group was a large part. Other than fumbles I thought our backs did a very good job considering how many men in the box they had to run against. We basically rode Brooks to wins in most games.

Grade-B-(should be an A)

WR/TE- We underutilized this unit for much of the season, so its very hard to give out a grade. Most of the times our WR just blocked, we did have a great average per catch number from all of our WR's(none averaged below 9yds a catch but we only completed 24 passes all year) We didn`t use our TE at all, forget glorified blocker, our TE was just an extra linemen.

O-line- Another unit thats very hard to grade, we asked our line to block 8 guys just about every play. Its a wonder we were able to move the ball going up against that many guys in the box. Personally I think the line did a great job considering the circumstances, we had our share of guys get beat, but we also dominated the line of scrimmage at times. My grade might surprise some people, if it does just consider how hard it is to block as many guys as we faced most games

Grade-A-

D-line-Tell of two units, we got great production from our DT's, but our DE's barely ever showed up. I can`t think of another time when we`ve had two playmakers at the DT spot. We probably have had similar guys before my time, but I`ve never seen it at Jeff County. The only thing this unit didn`t do very well was rush the passer, which is where our lack of playmaking DE's came in IMO

Grade-B+

LB-Like most good Jeff County good teams, the strenght of the defense was in the LB's(especially in the middle). Yeary was a search and destroy missile all year, we haven`t seen one LB make so many plays on his own since who Todd Collins? Out of all guys we`ll miss next year, Yeary has to be at the very top.

Grade-A+

CB/Safety-Achilles heel of the defense, I know we had some injuries, and we didn`t put our guys in the best position to make plays, but when it came down to it we simply didn`t get it done in the secondary. Secondary got better when McFall was put at CB, but we still struggled overall.

Grade-C-

Special teams-Didn`t add a kicker till right before the 1st game, so its a wonder we were so good in the kicking game. Kicker came in a did a great job(S.Hill comes to mind), punting was up and down but we didn`t lose because of it. Did some good things returning when we had the chance, and we really never gave our opponent a chance to set up a return.

Grade-A

I`ll save coaching grades for another day, thoughts?

I understand that we will practice next year in January and we will also scrimmage MARYVILLE in February.

Also, is there any truth that we may lose some assistant coaches for next season, like 1-3 ?

I`m surprised more teams don`t practice early like Maryville, really the only other sport that is effected is basketball, maybe wrestling. I have been to a b-ball game in who knows when so I`m not sure who we won`t have from basketball, but I think its a pretty good idea to move practice you. Whether we'll have a 100% healthy QB by the end of Jan could be a major issue, not sure how long till Darby is ready to go, but we`ll need him. Nice to see Gut easing into his first off season by scheduling Maryville /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Would not be surprised to see some turnover in the coaching staff, most schools lose a few and gain a few.

I`m surprised more teams don`t practice early like Maryville, really the only other sport that is effected is basketball, maybe wrestling. I have been to a b-ball game in who knows when so I`m not sure who we won`t have from basketball, but I think its a pretty good idea to move practice you. Whether we'll have a 100% healthy QB by the end of Jan could be a major issue, not sure how long till Darby is ready to go, but we`ll need him. Nice to see Gut easing into his first off season by scheduling Maryville /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Would not be surprised to see some turnover in the coaching staff, most schools lose a few and gain a few.

same here with bball... i believe it was the rocky blair show in fact. i digress, i have heard all the coaching and practice rumors as well. time will tell. like we have said before, changes need to be made for the program to go from mediocre to good/great. i think starting practice earlier will help. its a year long sport at the next level, if the kids arent two/three sport athletes, it will not hurt them to put in more time... and not just voluntary haphazard lifting sessions either.

Might have to pencil in McFall as the quarterback !

Yeah, your backfield next year might be mcfall (qb) brooks and tolliver

3 points

1. i don't see darby being full speed in the spring, but he should be ok to go in the summer, no? i like the backfield of darby, brooks, and mcfall

2. yeary is a great player, and had an unbelievable year.... but todd collins comparisons? i know you are talking about making plays by himself, but its a reach. watching '87 game film, he was a man among boys. the kind that wins nat. def. player of the year. however, yeary is great in his on respect and he should most certainly be a 1st team all-stater.

3. DZ get over the bball board and let us know what to expect. Get on Gentry, he should pay you for coacht posts as well

2. yeary is a great player, and had an unbelievable year.... but todd collins comparisons? i know you are talking about making plays by himself, but its a reach. watching '87 game film, he was a man among boys. the kind that wins nat. def. player of the year. however, yeary is great in his on respect and he should most certainly be a 1st team all-stater.

It wasn`t so much a comparison as, since Collins

If we are losing 1-3, I wonder which ones.

There are a few I think we could survive without, and I`ll leave it at that.