Sequoyah Football

warchief

Wouldn't flat out domination be nice. There are not many teams that have that luxury. But, if we did things would be a lot easier.

You're right about that. Probably could count on one hand the number of high schools that have that ability,starting with Alcoa and Smyrna. Both had big,dominant lines. Strength being the key,but knowing how to apply that strength is just as important. I don't believe you can teach too much technique. There is a saying that practice makes perfect,and repetition brings improvement. As these young men get stronger,the technique will be more noticeable,and the offense more successful. Even as young as the linemen were this past year(even you have to agree X-knocker) they were improved over past efforts. Still a ways to go,but they are getting there. It will continue to take harder work than they have ever known to compete and be successful,but I believe they are willing to put in the work and effort,and that will show next year on the field. From my viewpoint,they improved tremendously this past year,and coaching has to receive at least a portion of the credit. Saw John-Ray's car yesterday,again I have to say thank you God for sparing him. Man,that car looks bad.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Dum Dum what positon do we discuss now?

Great job, great discussion on the offensive side of the ball, now lets flip it over and talk a little defense. Athletes and speed, 20 years ago thats wasnt what defense was all about and for me to see these little but extremely fast guys on the defensive line, well you just can see how times have changed. Last years defense wasnt too shabby, yeah I know we gave up some big numbers but we gained alot of experience. Jacob should have a good year but I hope the workload will be divided up in the tackle catagory. Whatever defense we will be in this year I believe we will have the right athlete in the right position. So lets start with the heart of the defense at the linebacker positions, I think we all agree Jacob will do well, but I look for Mathew Payne to have a monster year along with that kid #11 (cant remember his name, help me out) maybe 'Topa' (I think). After that at the linbacker position I need help, so come on folks jump in here and let me know, "Step Up!" Coach Summey would say. GO CHIEFS!!!

Linebackers, we need some real hole feelers to step up here. White is definitely one who will feel the whole quick and put a lick on someone. We will need better play out of our outside linebackers in order to stop those off tackle plays that absolutely killed us last year. I like the Payne kid he seems to have a real passion for the game and we will need him.

Linebackers, we need some real hole feelers to step up here. White is definitely one who will feel the whole quick and put a lick on someone. We will need better play out of our outside linebackers in order to stop those off tackle plays that absolutely killed us last year. I like the Payne kid he seems to have a real passion for the game and we will need him.

I thought a lot of the time last year the weaknesses were recognition as much as anything. To play aggressively at linebacker,you've got to realize at the snap what the offense is trying to do to you. Read the keys,then arrive with an attitude. A lot of the time we were content to make the tackle 6-8 yards downfield. Again,strength is a key in the ability to shed blockers. I look for the 'backers to be much improved as they gained needed experience on the field. This could wind up being a strength on the team next year,as several youngsters played quite a bit due to injury.

I thought a lot of the time last year the weaknesses were recognition as much as anything. To play aggressively at linebacker,you've got to realize at the snap what the offense is trying to do to you. Read the keys,then arrive with an attitude. A lot of the time we were content to make the tackle 6-8 yards downfield. Again,strength is a key in the ability to shed blockers. I look for the 'backers to be much improved as they gained needed experience on the field. This could wind up being a strength on the team next year,as several youngsters played quite a bit due to injury.

Over the last 12 years of watching the chiefs this is an area were we have struggled abit. We have had a couple of good ones along the way, but overall we have'nt been real strong in this position. But i do believe that the tide may be starting to turn. We have alot of goodlooking young linebackers on this team. This could be the strength of the "D" over the next 3, 4, 5 years. Now as far as this year goes I also agree the linebackers need to step it up. BlueQB12 nailed it on the head in recognition. We can't give up the yardage we have been. I know we were young, but we need to do a better job of understanding what the offense is trying to do. Linebackers are taught to read & react, but really good linebackers read & ATTACK. White done a good job. And I was also impressed with the Topa kid late in the season the few games he played. There may be some real competition as to who gets these spots. I don't think they are a lock at all. This i do know, the defense must play better. In high school football if you can't stop the run you are in trouble, and the linebackers are the ones who are feeling those holes and meeting those ball carriers. Hey Dumdum, are we done with the offense? I don't remember discussing the recievers, but i may of just missed it.

You're right about that. Probably could count on one hand the number of high schools that have that ability,starting with Alcoa and Smyrna. Both had big,dominant lines. Strength being the key,but knowing how to apply that strength is just as important. I don't believe you can teach too much technique. There is a saying that practice makes perfect,and repetition brings improvement. As these young men get stronger,the technique will be more noticeable,and the offense more successful. Even as young as the linemen were this past year(even you have to agree X-knocker) they were improved over past efforts. Still a ways to go,but they are getting there. It will continue to take harder work than they have ever known to compete and be successful,but I believe they are willing to put in the work and effort,and that will show next year on the field. From my viewpoint,they improved tremendously this past year,and coaching has to receive at least a portion of the credit. Saw John-Ray's car yesterday,again I have to say thank you God for sparing him. Man,that car looks bad.

This is a very good post. When you look at schools who win consistantly they have 1 of 2 things going for them. #1. they have a great athletic base in which to pull from. There are certain schools across the state who are just going to have an athletic advantage. Add that with some decent coaching it will equal wins. #2. This is schools that for the most part do not have an athletic advantage ( which BTW is probably the majority of the schools in the state and also the catagory that we would fall under.) But what they have is extremly good coaching. They have a great program which is always going to produce players who are fundamentally sound, dedicated to the weight room, understand and know how to play the game, and are taught to play using technique to help them overcome the other teams advantages. This also equals WINS. Now some teams have both of these things and there is where you will find one of those elite programs.( best example of this right now is Alcoa). Most teams most years will not come out and just dominate athleticly. They will dominate because they are prepared (thru technique, fundalmentals, and knowledge) to do so.( best example of this right now is maryville.)

No, I just did't think you were worth answering. MERRY X-MAS

Since i'm not worthy,would someone else mind asking slobber this question.I think its a great one for him to answer.You see he either thinks that Sanders needs to go to or the o-line done a better job.So someone on here as the be worthy enough for him to answer.

p.s.Merry CHRISTMAS to you also Slobber.

well i must be like a pilot and fly.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.

Most of the time they were content to make the tackle 6-8 yards down field. It seemed to me that reaction was as big a concern as recognition. It seemed that they new where the play was going but chose to let it come to them. That will definitely have to change. I would like to see more plays made in the backfield or on the line of scrimmage. But, maybe with better D-Line play this will help. Also, was this just me or did the LB's seem to almost always blitz toward the middle, when most teams were killing us off tackle. That was something that seemed to hurt us. Never really noticed a blitz to try to stop those off tackle plays.

Since i'm not worthy,would someone else mind asking slobber this question.I think its a great one for him to answer.You see he either thinks that Sanders needs to go to or the o-line done a better job.So someone on here as the be worthy enough for him to answer.

p.s.Merry CHRISTMAS to you also Slobber.

well i must be like a pilot and fly.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.

DO NOT PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH. If I thought Sanders needed to go I would have put that on here. I credit him with the improvements that were made this year on the O-Line.

DO NOT PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH. If I thought Sanders needed to go I would have put that on here. I credit him with the improvements that were made this year on the O-Line.

Hah!!!

Slobber can make a positive post "giving credit to Co.Sanders and improved O-line play"

and still find a way to through a negitive plug at the Doc.

I would be willing to bet a 20 spot he has never looked him in the eye and told him what he really thaught.

If your giving credit to the O-line for improved play. Give a lot to R-Nation for coming in at 6:30am

for 2 years and haveing these boys lift because all but 1 of the starting 5 where your 6am lifters daily and came every day thats where our improved line play started.

Oh thats right SLOBBER is only on the negitive side of things.

Over the last 12 years of watching the chiefs this is an area were we have struggled abit. We have had a couple of good ones along the way, but overall we have'nt been real strong in this position. But i do believe that the tide may be starting to turn. We have alot of goodlooking young linebackers on this team. This could be the strength of the "D" over the next 3, 4, 5 years. Now as far as this year goes I also agree the linebackers need to step it up. BlueQB12 nailed it on the head in recognition. We can't give up the yardage we have been. I know we were young, but we need to do a better job of understanding what the offense is trying to do. Linebackers are taught to read & react, but really good linebackers read & ATTACK. White done a good job. And I was also impressed with the Topa kid late in the season the few games he played. There may be some real competition as to who gets these spots. I don't think they are a lock at all. This i do know, the defense must play better. In high school football if you can't stop the run you are in trouble, and the linebackers are the ones who are feeling those holes and meeting those ball carriers. Hey Dumdum, are we done with the offense? I don't remember discussing the recievers, but i may of just missed it.

OK, I need to apollogize to everyone, I did forget the wide receivers, but it was a total accident, so this week we will go with Linebackers and Wideouts. Again, sorry folks. This subjuect was actually one I was looking forward to because I gotta youngster at that position. Last Season, well it was hard to tell how important wideouts were to our offense, dont get me wrong Watson had a nice season, I just thought with all the one-on-one matchups we had we could have taken advantage of that, not my call and I know that and I respect all coaching desicions. This year we got speedster, Corvette, coming back, along with Brewster, Thompson (I think) and 'Lil' Bell. I know we kicked around the ideas of Carson maybe play a little wideout, I was even talked to about the idea of Moser playing wideout if Rogers could take over at QB (not trying to start anything there). If memory serves me right, I think Corvette and Brewster both run on the track team and that interfere with spring practice, so this will give a chance to everyone else to "STEP UP!" Anyway, again folks, sorry about my forgetfulness (is that a word). GO CHIEFS!!!

OK, I need to apollogize to everyone, I did forget the wide receivers, but it was a total accident, so this week we will go with Linebackers and Wideouts. Again, sorry folks. This subjuect was actually one I was looking forward to because I gotta youngster at that position. Last Season, well it was hard to tell how important wideouts were to our offense, dont get me wrong Watson had a nice season, I just thought with all the one-on-one matchups we had we could have taken advantage of that, not my call and I know that and I respect all coaching desicions. This year we got speedster, Corvette, coming back, along with Brewster, Thompson (I think) and 'Lil' Bell. I know we kicked around the ideas of Carson maybe play a little wideout, I was even talked to about the idea of Moser playing wideout if Rogers could take over at QB (not trying to start anything there). If memory serves me right, I think Corvette and Brewster both run on the track team and that interfere with spring practice, so this will give a chance to everyone else to "STEP UP!" Anyway, again folks, sorry about my forgetfulness (is that a word). GO CHIEFS!!!