Science Hill: What will happen? (off-season thread)

FTBMAN

cbg, that is probably the best reply I have seen on coacht in a long time.

If he was so wrong for the job, why did SH hire him? That's the purpose of the interview - to reach an agreement that the applicant is the best man for the job and you are the place for him to win games.

Football was broken or you would not have fired Bowles. Even if Smith is the wrong guy, you still lived up to the expectations that were established under Coach Bowles - 5th place. You've got to give a guy enough time to get his guys, working his scheme, in place before you make a judgment. For SH, that's 5 years (8-12 school). You lay the blame on the coach when, in reality, he didn't lay the first hit, throw a block, hit a hole, catch a pass, or hand off the football.

Have you ever stopped to consider that you were just a bad football team? I taught/caoched at Science Hill and some of those kids were great kids and they will grow up to be outstanding, contributing members of society. Some of the kids that have been mentioned as the best of SH have little work ethic, no character, and wouldn't know discipline if it bit them in the butt. They have grown up in peewee league football being told how great they are going to be. No one ever mentioned that hard work that goes into being a winning football team. I can tell you this - football players worked harder under Coach Smith (weight room, conditioning, etc.) than at any point in the last four years.

You just didn't have it. Stop complaining and find out what you have to do to get better. You hired the best coach available to you. Live with it.

I know that you Smith-haters are going to fry me. That's OK, I'm not drinking your Kool-Aid.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, you guys are hard on Scott.

I have no idea what went on up there this year, but it seems like a bunch of drama. I know this from being coached at the QB position by the man, Scott Smith is a darn good offensive football coach.

Did he make mistakes this year? Probably.......he'd probably tell you that. Anytime you lose 7, there is blame to go around.

Is he Mr. Perfect?..................No

Has he been successful everywhere he's been? A resounding yes.

The guy knows football and how to coach. Everyone dogs him because his ultimate success came at a private where he did have some athletic "ringers". Well, that's true of almost any team that wins big. But the guy led a nice little run at Greenbrier before they were really any good. And I know another program that he built from the ground up is still playing football this week. The current coaching staff at Independence deserves the bulk of the credit for what's gone on there, but he assembled that staff and raised those players from the ground floor. He did the leg work.

To be honest, I hated to see him go up there because I thought it was a bad fit. I may be right. But I know that if Science Hill did the one and done thing with Scott, he would get a job elsewhere. To be honest, there is a job opening (and maybe a second) in Rutherford County that is potentially a MUCH BETTER JOB than Science Hill.

If you wanted a winning program...we had that...but were we the "best we could be"? The reason the goal is to beat DB is they are the perennial (sp) champion of the conference. If you are beating them it is likely you are beating everyone else as well. Anyone that doesn't respect that program is not being rational or objective. Coach Clark has done more with less than any high school coach I have seen in my many years of watching and playing football. I believe that is what most of the people who say that beating DB is a priority really mean.

I agree with your post in most aspects. I do believe that parents play a large role in the discipline issue that I bring up time and time again. With some of the things that have gone on in the past and this year...if it had been my kid, the least of their worries would have been what the coaches were going to do to them. Also, whether you believe the kid should be playing at that position or not...support the kids! Even if you feel that your kid should be in their place...support the kid.

I agree with ya ucfpunter in the fact that the parents play a large part in the discipline problems. Discipline begins at home. To me the kids are the ones that have to want to win first and as a whole. What we have is mostly parents wanting to win more than the kids. Players today at the Hill and in general don't want to put the hard work and effort in it takes to turn around a program.

As for Bulldog69 the bottom line is we support coach smith and I don't care what say about smith getting any credit in indy he will get credit anyway. When Tony Dungy left Tampa and Grudion came in and won a Super Bowl the next year he did it with Tony's work. And the same goes for coach smith. He had to have some kind of imprint on that team.

Topper Nation just hold on a change is coming!!!!

As for Coach Smith and the topper players Coach, Play, and live by my signature!!!!

Oh one more thing, this my boys moto "IF WE PRACITCE LIKE CHAMPIONS WE WILL PLAY LIKE CHAMPIONS

By the way quack "is" smitty lurking around like he always does.....who else would know more about Middle Tn jobs

I dare say if ANYBODY came to INDY right now and gave smitty credit for anything positive...they would leave with lots of bruises

By the way, this QB dilemma with smitty is not new...he had it at Indy also.

By the way quack "is" smitty lurking around like he always does.....who else would know more about Middle Tn jobs

I dare say if ANYBODY came to INDY right now and gave smitty credit for anything positive...they would leave with lots of bruises

By the way, this QB dilemma with smitty is not new...he had it at Indy also.

sounds like maybe you coach down there--give it a rest man and quit blowing your own horn--you post the same thing over and over and over... coach smith is gone and you guys are awesome-- thanks only to you --let it go

sounds like maybe you coach down there--give it a rest man and quit blowing your own horn--you post the same thing over and over and over... coach smith is gone and you guys are awesome-- thanks only to you --let it go

I don't coach ...I have followed the smitty antics for years......and buddy....if you think I am going away....don't count on it. He is infamous for saying publically "that public school coaches need to work harder".....this has come back to bite him and follow him everywhere. In a few more months...there will be an army like me.

I don't have anyone at Indy...I just know football and Gilligan ....just wait!!!!!

Talked to one of the parents the other night after the banquet and they said it was really upbeat.

Said that the team had to take the mandatory 3 weeks off and will start maxing today. The kids seem really excited to get bigger and stronger, they are expecting between 75-100 for winter workouts.

They have just added a new coach whose speciality is strength and conditioning...i imagine he will help a ton

good luck to the 2008 toppers

I don't coach ...I have followed the smitty antics for years......and buddy....if you think I am going away....don't count on it. He is infamous for saying publically "that public school coaches need to work harder".....this has come back to bite him and follow him everywhere. In a few more months...there will be an army like me.

I don't have anyone at Indy...I just know football and Gilligan ....just wait!!!!!

Man,

I also played for Scott Smith in the late 90's when he was an assistant at Antioch (I was a teammate of Quack 4's...and he's not Scott) and I can verify that he is a very good coach. You seem like one of those dudes that just loves to "hate" on people when you see them down. Smith will win again soon. He may or may not get the necessary time and support to get it done at Science Hill, but he'll bounce back.

Not taking away anything from Indy's current staff (I think Eubanks and Felts are outstanding...and two Scott Smith hires, BTW), but that is a solid program that was well built from the ground floor and SS has a lot to do with that. So bulldog, would you show some class and back off the guy, unless you can come on here with concrete evidence of where Smith has wronged you! You have made it your crusade to bash him at every turn.

Who said they would want the position? No offense, but JC is pretty cut throat about their teams. I can understand that part since when I was younger, that was the team to beat. Science Hill was tough and that was all there was to it, no matter what sport they played. Something that fans seem to be forgetting though is that SH isn't the team sports school that it used to be. As a matter of fact, I would say that they are one of the weaker schools in the area compared to what they used to be.

Why would they want to go to JC. Every move they make would be looked at, if something goes wrong, people will be calling for them to be fired. Look at where they are at right now. Volunteer had one of the best teams in a long time and East is much stronger than they used to be. Both schools used to be the regional whipping boys, and now they are something you can't snub your nose at. Nelson and Rider both can stay in Hawkins County and Sullivan County without worrying about people always second guessing them.

Good post. Why would either one of them want to leave a place where they are well respected and left alone by the fans so they can do what they came to do "COACH". Listening to the people on here talking about this coach's first year I would consider yourselves lucky to have any coach at all who would put up with this kind of crap from parents/fans.

Man,

I also played for Scott Smith in the late 90's when he was an assistant at Antioch (I was a teammate of Quack 4's...and he's not Scott) and I can verify that he is a very good coach. You seem like one of those dudes that just loves to "hate" on people when you see them down. Smith will win again soon. He may or may not get the necessary time and support to get it done at Science Hill, but he'll bounce back.

Not taking away anything from Indy's current staff (I think Eubanks and Felts are outstanding...and two Scott Smith hires, BTW), but that is a solid program that was well built from the ground floor and SS has a lot to do with that. So bulldog, would you show some class and back off the guy, unless you can come on here with concrete evidence of where Smith has wronged you! You have made it your crusade to bash him at every turn.

There is not enough space on here for smitty's wrongs. Buddy, I went after smitty when he was running it up 71-0 and 65-6 on teams a long time ago(get it now). I don't "hate" on people.....just pointing out smitty for what he is. Thank you for calling it a crusade. I had been thinking it was more like badgering.....but yours is better. In life this is called what goes around comes around. While you are at it, defend what he did in leaving Indy how he did.

People can talk all they want about Coach Smith and his "wrongdoings" and his "lack of knowledge", or say that the SH program is in "shambles" because of him. He was hired to help Science Hill jump over the hurdle that is the 1st round of the playoffs. I created this topic to discuss the kids who will be filling in for last year's players and not to discuss whether or not Coach Smith is the right coach, a good coach, or a good person. I have had much exposure to Coach Smith and he is a good person who has a goal in mind for his team. My questions are simple. Who will replace a senior laden offensive line, a pair of quarterbacks, a few all-region players, and a senior class with tremendous character no matter what the score of the games were? I want to know what Coach Smith is doing with his kids to prepare for spring ball, who is looking at playing both ways, and what young players can expect to make an impact this season. I know Greyson Janeway, Corey MacPherson, and Wes Forbush got extended action as sophomores and will be high on the depth chart as juniors. I also know that there is a talented senior class coming up for the next season when it comes to skill positions, but is lacking clear cut players on the offensive line. There will be much of the same on defense, with only Aaron Trent, Corey Hamilton, Rodney Smith, Javan Joslin, Matt Hayes, and A.J. Hart graduating. Trent and Hamilton are hard blows, but Smith got extended action because Caleb Mancuso suffered an injury, Joslin was all-conference, but spent alot of time on offense, Hart and Hayes were regulars in the corner rotation, but Skylar Dejesus should fill in very well alongside Isaac Kinley next season. Does anyone know anything about the kids who will be on the field, or are we going to sit and talk about the coaching situation for the WHOLE offseason?????