Science Hill: What will happen? (off-season thread)

FTBMAN

Lots of good talent coming back and moving up, but with Smith??™s ???system??? and the lack of a strong quarterback to execute, I expect much of the same kind of season we seen in 2007. 2009 and 2010 looks to possibly be more successful. I foresee another 3-7 for 2008 or worse. But, thankfully Smith guarantees S-Hill will never be worse than 3-7, so surely the near future looks bright.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was such a let down this season that it is hard to talk about next year. If the AD / School board had any sense they would cut their losses and let Smith go now as he is not going to manage games any differently then he did this year and Science Hill doesn't have enough talent to overcome his play calling. Unfortunately expect more of the same. Seems that the majority of people I talk to both in and out of town have the same opinion. Feel sorry for the rest of the coaching staff.

i just want to say screw all the scott smith nonbelievers...he is one of the best coaches ive seen in a long time...there were certain issues on the team with some players that broke the team apart....some players were to selfish for smiths kind of coaching...and it didnt help that half the parents turned there backs on smith after they lost there second game...it might take even the next season to get rid of the rest of the cancer on the team but blieve me in a year or so...maybe evn this up coming season you will see how good of a coach he is and ppl will change their views really quick

People can talk all they want about Coach Smith and his "wrongdoings" and his "lack of knowledge", or say that the SH program is in "shambles" because of him. He was hired to help Science Hill jump over the hurdle that is the 1st round of the playoffs. I created this topic to discuss the kids who will be filling in for last year's players and not to discuss whether or not Coach Smith is the right coach, a good coach, or a good person. I have had much exposure to Coach Smith and he is a good person who has a goal in mind for his team. My questions are simple. Who will replace a senior laden offensive line, a pair of quarterbacks, a few all-region players, and a senior class with tremendous character no matter what the score of the games were? I want to know what Coach Smith is doing with his kids to prepare for spring ball, who is looking at playing both ways, and what young players can expect to make an impact this season. I know Greyson Janeway, Corey MacPherson, and Wes Forbush got extended action as sophomores and will be high on the depth chart as juniors. I also know that there is a talented senior class coming up for the next season when it comes to skill positions, but is lacking clear cut players on the offensive line. There will be much of the same on defense, with only Aaron Trent, Corey Hamilton, Rodney Smith, Javan Joslin, Matt Hayes, and A.J. Hart graduating. Trent and Hamilton are hard blows, but Smith got extended action because Caleb Mancuso suffered an injury, Joslin was all-conference, but spent alot of time on offense, Hart and Hayes were regulars in the corner rotation, but Skylar Dejesus should fill in very well alongside Isaac Kinley next season. Does anyone know anything about the kids who will be on the field, or are we going to sit and talk about the coaching situation for the WHOLE offseason?????

all i will say is that the sophmore class of this past season is very strong...we play well together and are busting our ###### this offseason with a new work out plan and thats all i will say and i thnk thats all coach smith would want me to let you know

I heard the same thing second hand. I have heard their new strength and conditioning coach is busting the kids tails. The players seem to really be fired up and cannot wait to spring drills. Good luck to the toppers throughout the winter

I am glad to hear that is the case, but we have never (or very rarely) been out-"athletisized". We have had plenty of power, speed, and agility. It is team and personal discipline that has killed us in the past (okay...and some bad breaks). Until the team recognizes that the rest of their life decisions impact their onfield performance and future opportunities we will continue to see ANY coach struggle. It would be helpful if the coach would insist upon it without major repurcussions.

i just want to say screw all the scott smith nonbelievers...he is one of the best coaches ive seen in a long time...there were certain issues on the team with some players that broke the team apart....some players were to selfish for smiths kind of coaching...and it didnt help that half the parents turned there backs on smith after they lost there second game...it might take even the next season to get rid of the rest of the cancer on the team but blieve me in a year or so...maybe evn this up coming season you will see how good of a coach he is and ppl will change their views really quick

Smith has "1" win over a 5A team with a winning record. Four years and counting.

People can talk all they want about Coach Smith and his "wrongdoings" and his "lack of knowledge", or say that the SH program is in "shambles" because of him. He was hired to help Science Hill jump over the hurdle that is the 1st round of the playoffs. I created this topic to discuss the kids who will be filling in for last year's players and not to discuss whether or not Coach Smith is the right coach, a good coach, or a good person. I have had much exposure to Coach Smith and he is a good person who has a goal in mind for his team. My questions are simple. Who will replace a senior laden offensive line, a pair of quarterbacks, a few all-region players, and a senior class with tremendous character no matter what the score of the games were? I want to know what Coach Smith is doing with his kids to prepare for spring ball, who is looking at playing both ways, and what young players can expect to make an impact this season. I know Greyson Janeway, Corey MacPherson, and Wes Forbush got extended action as sophomores and will be high on the depth chart as juniors. I also know that there is a talented senior class coming up for the next season when it comes to skill positions, but is lacking clear cut players on the offensive line. There will be much of the same on defense, with only Aaron Trent, Corey Hamilton, Rodney Smith, Javan Joslin, Matt Hayes, and A.J. Hart graduating. Trent and Hamilton are hard blows, but Smith got extended action because Caleb Mancuso suffered an injury, Joslin was all-conference, but spent alot of time on offense, Hart and Hayes were regulars in the corner rotation, but Skylar Dejesus should fill in very well alongside Isaac Kinley next season. Does anyone know anything about the kids who will be on the field, or are we going to sit and talk about the coaching situation for the WHOLE offseason?????

There is no word on the o line yet or the qb position. Lets hope coach will put the best players in those positions later when the pads come on and we see who the heavy hitters are. The boys seemed to have a new attitude comming out of the weight room this week with a lot of excitement about how hard they're working and are willing to work. We've got some great Jr's comming back next year, Jeff Green, Caleb Mancuso, Brandon Mc Auley, and Moses Green. The biggest changes ( in the line) should come from this years sophomore class. These guys have a great TEAM attitude and work very well Together. Defense should be great again next year with Jeff Green, Caleb Mancuso, and Logan Honeycutt setting the tone from the LB positions. Offensive leaders should be Ashlon Adams, Moses Green, Corey Mc Pherson, and Armando Canepa. If we can keep the attitudes in check and keep the energy they have right now we could have a great season next fall.

If I were a Science Hill fan (and I am not) I would take the silent approach this year. All before this season the message boards and some press was about how The Hill has all the talent, speed, size, and now a great coach. Going by what most posters on here were saying (most no longer show their face on CoachT) Science Hill was a lock for the conference title and a top team in the state. All this did was motivate the other teams even more and it had a reverse effect in the end. The Hill has the tools to make it happen, but posting stuff on CoachT and running mouths are not part of what makes a good team. The Hill needs to get in better shape for endurance and strength and work on some basics. The talent is there and it will come. This time around, please don't tell the Big East how everyone else is in trouble and how you can't wait to humiliate DB at home. Just show it on the field; that is how you do it!

PS; I hope the hill does raise the bar because it will help all of NE TN football.

Roll Tribe! Go Toppers

all i will say is that the sophmore class of this past season is very strong...we play well together and are busting our ###### this offseason with a new work out plan and thats all i will say and i thnk thats all coach smith would want me to let you know

I played ball for coach smith in this disasterous season and i know that the freshman and JV had terrific records. I also know based on the workouts i participated in over the summer that your not busting it like you need to. I know yall got a new weights coach who is workin yall NOW but thats the 1st in a long line of changes that need to be made. And don't hold back on what you think coach smith would want me to know because I can march right up to the plato lab at the school and have a chat with him if I need to about what's going to happen this year. I'm graduating and I just wanna know if yall are gonna make noise in the conference this year, noise for wins and records instead of noise for futility.

I played ball for coach smith in this disasterous season and i know that the freshman and JV had terrific records. I also know based on the workouts i participated in over the summer that your not busting it like you need to. I know yall got a new weights coach who is workin yall NOW but thats the 1st in a long line of changes that need to be made. And don't hold back on what you think coach smith would want me to know because I can march right up to the plato lab at the school and have a chat with him if I need to about what's going to happen this year. I'm graduating and I just wanna know if yall are gonna make noise in the conference this year, noise for wins and records instead of noise for futility.

Good post. Actions speak louder then words and before last season, all we heard was the talk. Heck, I even (until South smoked The Hill) that The Hill would beat DB; they had the tools to do it. Problem was, execution and endurance. Work on on those and The Hill can and will be a top program.

Good post. Actions speak louder then words and before last season, all we heard was the talk. Heck, I even (until South smoked The Hill) that The Hill would beat DB; they had the tools to do it. Problem was, execution and endurance. Work on on those and The Hill can and will be a top program.

Bud, you couldn't have said it better. "ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS". We had the tools to get it done, but we have the tools every year. We've had kids come through recently that are playing college ball as I post. Justice Joslin was a match-up problem at the slot my sophomore and we had arguably one of our strongest skill sets on offense with Brandon Shoun at QB, Michael Forney playing TB and CB, Chris Collins at X, Quentin Bassett at Z, and Joslin and David Alexander at the slots. We were FAST. But that speed put us 7-3 after starting off 4-2 and we finished up with a whopping at Oak Ridge in the 1st round of the playoffs. My junior year, another good line-up, Ashlon Adams out wide, John Barcel, Larry Smith, and Andrew Ferguson were also primary wides in our spread set. A.J. Tucker was playing QB and Solomon Duanah was at Tailback. Another speed line up, but we finished 6-4 and took a beating at Oltewah for our 1st round loss AGAIN. This year, another good line-up out wide with Adams and Smith returning, a senior in Phillip Denton out wide, and Isaac Kinley played both ways. Daniel Sharp and Tomas Hill played QB and Hill had some nice plays at wideout also. 3-7 without a playoff appearance. I think the key is getting our offense to move the ball. Over 3 years I witnessed 3 and outs and went out on the defensive side of the ball hoping to give our offense another chance. Needless to say, a defense gets tired when it is always on the field. 3 years, 2 coaches, and the same results. Under Coach Bowles, we were a physical, ball pounding unit. Under Coach Smith, we were a pass happy, SOMETIMES physical units that continually went 3 and out. Instead of wondering how many points the O would score, I wondered how many times I would go out on D and how many punts we would have. I became a student of field position because it was all I could count on. We need to run the ball to establish field position and open up our passing game. Until then, 3 and out it is, and the defense will have to be the hero to have a chance in ball games. BTW, I hope Pritchard gets the start at QB because he is a smart kid with a good attitude and always tries hard. The play that sticks out is a 4th down when we are losing to DB 38-14. The kid tucks and runs, and puts his head down. He comes up way short, but that is the effort we need to win games. And the kid displays a toughness that i havent seen since a.j. tucker played QB. Until the whole team becomes a unit that leaves everything on the field, we can count on more 1st round playoff exits, or no playoffs at all. No amount of weightlifting and conditioning can teach effort. Effort is the one thing that they need to succeed.