Cocke County

5wide

I am a MoWest graduate (1981) and fan. I remember the dread we had of playing Cocke County because we always knew it would be a hard game. It seems to me that back then Cocke had the numbers to play with anyone but that does not seem the case now. I know that numbers can be deceiving, but if you can get the players on O'Line and D'Line rest the team will do much better. Also, it helps to have some subs for special teams so that the starters do not get hurt. Numbers also make practices easier so that you can have a scout team to mimic your opponent. So, I think if they can get the numbers up that would do a great deal to help the team. Unfortunately, I do not know how to get the numbers up. Perhaps instilling pride in the high school and placing importance on playing for that pride, but I am not sure if that is even a key.

Also, the kids need to believe they can win. After coaching rec league sports a number of years I have noticed that winning is catching (losing is also catching, unfortunately). It will take a paradigm change to get the players to expect to win. I would love to see Region 2 4A strong from top to bottom and would like to see Cocke in the mix again.

Another reason I feel it is a number's game is due to the fact that the basketball program and the baseball program are competitive most years. It obviously takes less players for both of these sports for a team to be competitive.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen COCKE COUNTY a few times over the past 3 or 4 years. They have really big kids and decent speed. Why cant they win ??? It can't all be about the HEAD COACH. How is the administration, the students, and the community ? What will it take to win in NEWPORT ????

First and foremost, we lack fast players at the skill positions to keep up. It's rare for us to play a game against a slower team. Some of the best athletes in Cocke Co. choose to only play basketball and/or baseball. For a school that has numerous kids to choose from, this wouldn't be a problem. But, we are not privileged in that regard. Everyone has their own opinion as to where the problem lies. With the numbers and talent dwindling as they are now, I believe that it would be hard to win even if Spurrier was still in Newport. We have to find a way to motivate our students to play and have pride in good ol' fashioned Cocke Co. football.

First and foremost, we lack fast players at the skill positions to keep up. It's rare for us to play a game against a slower team. Some of the best athletes in Cocke Co. choose to only play basketball and/or baseball. For a school that has numerous kids to choose from, this wouldn't be a problem. But, we are not privileged in that regard. Everyone has their own opinion as to where the problem lies. With the numbers and talent dwindling as they are now, I believe that it would be hard to win even if Spurrier was still in Newport. We have to find a way to motivate our students to play and have pride in good ol' fashioned Cocke Co. football.

well cocke county could have won ball games the last few years....we beat and played very competitively in scrimmages with sullivan south, bearden, sullivan north, and red bank....the main problems are athletic director because he is terrible...feeder programs have also fallen off middle school team was pretty good the years i was around it but now they are struggling bad and the freshman team hasn't won in 3-4 years....coaching also hasn't been good...coach jones was a knowledgeable coach and we liked him but support for the program wasn't there so his desire faded fast in the last 2 years he was there and my junior year we ended with 28 players on a 4A high school team....coach crawford came in with a bad hiring because of the athletic director mt. juliet is a whole lot better with him not running the show it looks like...good guy and everything just not a good football coach....support for the program is there they just need results on the field....with all that said the talent coming up is not even close to what we had in my 4 years there...there's not going to be any speed or skill really except for a few players here and there who can really play and the line is going to get worse the best athletes won't play football because they don't won't to lose....if they get a coach that can garner support and get the best athletes to play then they can turn it around...we have had some talent in the last few years which could be seen in some of our scrimmage and jamboree performances but lack of support hurts....i hope they can get it turned around good luck to all you guys with the program now and in the future

well cocke county could have won ball games the last few years....we beat and played very competitively in scrimmages with sullivan south, bearden, sullivan north, and red bank....the main problems are athletic director because he is terrible...feeder programs have also fallen off middle school team was pretty good the years i was around it but now they are struggling bad and the freshman team hasn't won in 3-4 years....coaching also hasn't been good...coach jones was a knowledgeable coach and we liked him but support for the program wasn't there so his desire faded fast in the last 2 years he was there and my junior year we ended with 28 players on a 4A high school team....coach crawford came in with a bad hiring because of the athletic director mt. juliet is a whole lot better with him not running the show it looks like...good guy and everything just not a good football coach....support for the program is there they just need results on the field....with all that said the talent coming up is not even close to what we had in my 4 years there...there's not going to be any speed or skill really except for a few players here and there who can really play and the line is going to get worse the best athletes won't play football because they don't won't to lose....if they get a coach that can garner support and get the best athletes to play then they can turn it around...we have had some talent in the last few years which could be seen in some of our scrimmage and jamboree performances but lack of support hurts....i hope they can get it turned around good luck to all you guys with the program now and in the future

Wow! A dissertation about CCHS!

It is hard to say why CCHS has fell off so bad. The easy thing to do is point fingers at the coaches. Well, the talent isn't there. There just isn't enough good players in the school to compete. I am an 07 Cosby graduate. My senior year we would have beat Cocke county. When there is more talent in a 500 kid school than a 1400 kid school, something is wrong.

Next it is the coaching. You cant come into a struggling program and be a diciplinarian. You can't be a stickler and run off kids you don't have enough of. You have to be a fun coach and make great relationships with the kids and parents. Get the respect of the community. Once you build a system you can get a little more tough. Hire a coach who knows the game well and will gets all the athletes out. It is possible to be good again. Also, back in the day, CCHS had a lot of black players. Now they have one or two. Get some speed out there.

I have seen COCKE COUNTY a few times over the past 3 or 4 years. They have really big kids and decent speed. Why cant they win ??? It can't all be about the HEAD COACH. How is the administration, the students, and the community ? What will it take to win in NEWPORT ????

That's an easy one....attitude.

It is hard to say why CCHS has fell off so bad. The easy thing to do is point fingers at the coaches. Well, the talent isn't there. There just isn't enough good players in the school to compete. I am an 07 Cosby graduate. My senior year we would have beat Cocke county. When there is more talent in a 500 kid school than a 1400 kid school, something is wrong.

Next it is the coaching. You cant come into a struggling program and be a diciplinarian. You can't be a stickler and run off kids you don't have enough of. You have to be a fun coach and make great relationships with the kids and parents. Get the respect of the community. Once you build a system you can get a little more tough. Hire a coach who knows the game well and will gets all the athletes out. It is possible to be good again. Also, back in the day, CCHS had a lot of black players. Now they have one or two. Get some speed out there.

easy chief. there is a HUGE difference between 1A and 4A football. a bad 4A team could still easily beat a good 1A team.

last year Cocke Co. finished 1-9. Their only victory was over a 2A team that finished the season 6-4 and made the 2A playoffs. If Cosby was on CC's schedule, the cocks would have finished 2-8.

Ask just about anyone in Cocke County and they will tell you that in 2006 (the season ENHwasps is talking about) Cosby most likely would have beaten CCHS. You are right there is a huge difference between 4A and 1A butthat was an exceptional 9-1 1A Cosby that year and a not so great CCHS. Oh and to go with your 1 win over a 6-4 2A school , Cosby beat a 1A school that year 26-0 (Cloudland) that traditionally beats Cherokee (not sure if they did that year or not) a team that usually beats CCHS.

that year, a 5-5 cherokee team beat cloudland 40-8, and it could have been a lot worse. even when cloudland is dominating 1A they still struggle with an average 4A team.

2004 Cherokee 34, Cloudland 0

2005 Cherokee 20, Cloudland 12

2006 Cherokee 40, Cloudland 8

2007 They didn't play each other