junior college

Indian

All six Motlow sophomores from the past season:

• Kerry Sill...(transfer from Okaloosa-Walton in Fla.)...CF.....Athens State

• Nicole McGrew...Coffee Co.....SS/2B.....Tennessee Wesleyan

• Meri Leigh Keith...Lincoln Co...Catcher.....Tennessee Wesleyan

• Amy Taylor...Franklin Co....P/3B/OF.....Tennessee Wesleyan

• Kellie Finney...Coffee Co....Catcher.....MTSU

• Christy Hampton...Marion Co.....OF...Still trying to make up her mind between two offers last I heard

Every Motlow sophomore for the past four years who has desired to go on and play at a four-year school has done so.

[Edited by mikemcgee on 6/10/02 10:36P]

I got the privilege of seeing these girls in action and they are awesome. Looks as though the majority are staying together. That is great for Tennessee Weslyean. It isn't any wonder that Motlow wins everything in their division/conference. Every year, they just keep getting tremendous tallent for their school and it is a thrill to watch them play. Should be able to see the new recruits coming in in the Fall. Cumberland University hosts a Fall tournament and Motlow is usually there.

I agree with everything you say except that they win everything in their division/conference. They still haven't been able to get past Chattanooga State for the championship. Hope springs eternal, though, especially with Charmaine Johns finally leaving Chattanooga after two years of totally dominating the state's junior colleges on the mound. Hope to see you at Cumberland in the fall. I think Motlow has a great class coming in.

I haven't seen Chattanooga State play, but I have heard great things about their team/s. I do understand that it has always been a big rivalry between Motlow and Chattanooga State. Hadn't really kept up with Motlow until I saw them play 2 years ago. Now I try to follow them. These girls would have been incoming Freshmen and now they are transferring. Tennessee Wesleyan has the right idea by recruiting these girls since they got the majority of them.

How does Cleveland State compare to Motlow and Chattanooga State? They (Cleveland State) normally get good recruits as well, maybe not the powerhouses that the other 2 have.

Which college are you following since you will be @ Cumberland University for Fall softball?

Cleveland State had a very good team this year after being down a couple of years, mostly I think due to injuries and other factors that cost them some players. The Weaver girl from Knoxville is an outstanding pitcher and they hit the ball well this season.

I'm a sportswriter in Tullahoma and follow Motlow closely but not just because they are successful (coach Gary Barfield has a 210-80 record in five years there) but mostly because I love the kids and the way they and their coach conduct themselves. They'll fight you tooth and nail on the field but they keep their mouths shut, and if you beat them, they'll shake your hand and go try to get better. No excuses.

As for Wesleyan, coach Jeff Rice had found a gold mine at Motlow. He and coach Barfield are good friends and he establishes a good relationship with the girls before they're even sophomores. It pays off. Last year he had five former Motlow players and won the conference tournament. Only one graduated, so with the three new signees, he'll have seven former Motlow players next year and he's tickled to death. The girls have other choices but many choose Wesleyan because of the relationship he establishes with them. Also, the kids at Motlow usually become good friends so it's fun for them to go somewhere to re-join former teammates.

You are a wealth of information. Thank you.

Sure is smart thinking on the part of the Tn. Wesleyan coach. Keeping those girls together and the fact that he now has 7 Motlow girls should make for a good program for him in the years to come.

Where are the Chattanooga State girls going?

I think you're right about Favor going to UT-C. Don't know about the rest, but I do know this much--they can all flat out play the game. Charmaine Johns told the Motlow girls she was returning to her home in Australia after the season, so I imagine that's what she ended up doing. She was one of the best I ever saw.