Thanksgiving "Day Behind The Lens"

StorkMontgomery

Webmaster is currently in a hot Rook game so we thought we would get this up as I promised. As always we deliver.

Thanksgiving Day and we are still alive. I have 3 topics so let’s get going.

Playing a team twice within the same season.

The Press Box and its purpose.

This time the team plays for the band instead of the band playing for the team.

So what are your chances of beating a team twice in the same season? I think they are even odds on two evenly matched teams. I tend to look at the total experience when this occurrence happens. How anybody can give an advantage to either amazes me? In basketball you play each other in your region or district twice a season regardless. If you were to give any advantage why would it not go to the most seasoned squad. At this point in the season heart is a huge factor also. A lot of coaches will tell you the team that comes ready to play will win. I like that thought but I like experience and heart more than just being ready to play. You can be ready to play and still loose in my opinion. I don’t think the second time around plays that much into it when you have the heart and knowledge. I think Army and Navy play harder when it’s against each other more so than any other time. In horse racing you may run three or four times up against the same horse on your way to the KY Derby. Why does football get more attention when it comes to this factor? Last thought on this topic you can measure a lot of things but you can’t measure the heart when it gets down to it. Enough of this let’s move on.

I am going to pass the keyboard on these next two and speak from my heart and experiences.

The Press Box and what is its purpose.

I have had the opportunity to visit a lot of different Press Boxes since I have been filming. I am usually greeted with a simple “Hey or Welcome you can setup over there or you guys are in here” type of scenario... At Gallatin we were treated like kings and at Wilson Central we were treated like dirt. Not trying to start any wars but it is what it is. My main purpose for being there is to capture the video for breakdown. We arrived at Wilson Central’s press box earlier in the year only to be shuffled around like a deck of cards. I asked about several spots in the box only to be told those spots were for anybody but media and football personnel. In my opinion the clock keeper, the announcer, radio, newspaper, both sets of coaches, film crew, and spotters are the only ones who have “dibs” on the spots in this arena. Having front spot glass to these folks is an important part of what the fans pay for. After all, it is these people that are driving what is taking place on the field. Wilson Central gave “dibs” to everybody but us. After asking for several spots in the box, we were turned down and forced to the top where there was no electricity. This school is quite new and electricity was scarce. I will admit at the Dog Pound the school is old and electricity has to be pulled from the bottom. But we always make sure everybody is plugged in and happy. We are seeing more schools use higher technology in breaking down video as the equipment has become more affordable to the school systems. Usually on our shoulders we are packing around $4000 worth of equipment. It is not something that is feasible to be used in the elements. We will be inside tomorrow night and Wilson Central will be on top only because radio, two newspapers, several TV stations and the other necessary personnel will be on the glass. I will end it at this, there won’t be two women discussing last night’s bridge match in front of the glass. Enough of that, let’s move on.

In most instances, the band always plays for the fans and athletes. They play the warm-up music. They play the fight song when the banner falls and touchdowns are scored and provide music at high moments in the game. The biggest thing though, that these bands spend many hours working on is the half-time field show. Even at 10,000 feet we all know that the band has a camp every year before school where many long hours are spent perfecting the music, the choreography, timing and positions only to bring it all together to produce the show which entertains us all. These shows all have an individual theme and are used as a strong representation of the school. It is customary for both the home band and the visiting band to perform at half-time. Since I have been filming in the state of TN, I have never experienced a one-band half-time performance. However, this year at Wilson Central, our band unloaded all equipment, positioned themselves at the end of the end zone, and prepared to take the field only to watch the time be “gobbled” up by other events other than just the two bands performing. The time ran out, and, as the players started to warm up, our band began loading their equipment back into the semis. When you get right down to it, somebody got “robbed”. A parent, who drove to Wilson Central, paid money and expected to see their child perform, got “robbed” because they had to pay admission but did not get to see what they paid for. The semis don’t run on good will, they run on fuel. The band members got “robbed” of their chance to display the show they have worked so hard to bring to you, the fan. If we take away the bands of high school football, we end up being no different than a youth football game. Me, playing music, for you until the players take the field for the second half. So maybe it is not about playing for the second time, or playing for press box turf, maybe just for once, it is about the players playing for the band that have always played for them. When the horn sounds, I hope I look up and know the Bulldogs are playing for THEIR band.

Well tomorrow night, as you can tell from above, we will be at the Dog Pound. Yes, and we will be inside. If you see us around, give a shout or a wave.

I know in the end I will be writing next week about the Dogs moving on, I feel that good about this one.

Take care, God bless,

“The Stork”

A man who truly delivers.

Webmaster is currently in a hot Rook game so we thought we would get this up as I promised. As always we deliver.

Thanksgiving Day and we are still alive. I have 3 topics so let???s get going.

So what are your chances of beating a team twice in the same season? I think they are even odds on two evenly matched teams. I tend to look at the total experience when this occurrence happens. How anybody can give an advantage to either amazes me? In basketball you play each other in your region or district twice a season regardless. If you were to give any advantage why would it not go to the most seasoned squad. At this point in the season heart is a huge factor also. A lot of coaches will tell you the team that comes ready to play will win. I like that thought but I like experience and heart more than just being ready to play. You can be ready to play and still loose in my opinion. I don???t think the second time around plays that much into it when you have the heart and knowledge. I think Army and Navy play harder when it???s against each other more so than any other time. In horse racing you may run three or four times up against the same horse on your way to the KY Derby. Why does football get more attention when it comes to this factor? Last thought on this topic you can measure a lot of things but you can???t measure the heart when it gets down to it. Enough of this let???s move on.

I am going to pass the keyboard on these next two and speak from my heart and experiences.

The Press Box and what is its purpose.

I have had the opportunity to visit a lot of different Press Boxes since I have been filming. I am usually greeted with a simple ???Hey or Welcome you can setup over there or you guys are in here??? type of scenario... At Gallatin we were treated like kings and at Wilson Central we were treated like dirt. Not trying to start any wars but it is what it is. My main purpose for being there is to capture the video for breakdown. We arrived at Wilson Central???s press box earlier in the year only to be shuffled around like a deck of cards. I asked about several spots in the box only to be told those spots were for anybody but media and football personnel. In my opinion the clock keeper, the announcer, radio, newspaper, both sets of coaches, film crew, and spotters are the only ones who have ???dibs??? on the spots in this arena. Having front spot glass to these folks is an important part of what the fans pay for. After all, it is these people that are driving what is taking place on the field. Wilson Central gave ???dibs??? to everybody but us. After asking for several spots in the box, we were turned down and forced to the top where there was no electricity. This school is quite new and electricity was scarce. I will admit at the Dog Pound the school is old and electricity has to be pulled from the bottom. But we always make sure everybody is plugged in and happy. We are seeing more schools use higher technology in breaking down video as the equipment has become more affordable to the school systems. Usually on our shoulders we are packing around $4000 worth of equipment. It is not something that is feasible to be used in the elements. We will be inside tomorrow night and Wilson Central will be on top only because radio, two newspapers, several TV stations and the other necessary personnel will be on the glass. I will end it at this, there won???t be two women discussing last night???s bridge match in front of the glass. Enough of that, let???s move on.

In most instances, the band always plays for the fans and athletes. They play the warm-up music. They play the fight song when the banner falls and touchdowns are scored and provide music at high moments in the game. The biggest thing though, that these bands spend many hours working on is the half-time field show. Even at 10,000 feet we all know that the band has a camp every year before school where many long hours are spent perfecting the music, the choreography, timing and positions only to bring it all together to produce the show which entertains us all. These shows all have an individual theme and are used as a strong representation of the school. It is customary for both the home band and the visiting band to perform at half-time. Since I have been filming in the state of TN, I have never experienced a one-band half-time performance. However, this year at Wilson Central, our band unloaded all equipment, positioned themselves at the end of the end zone, and prepared to take the field only to watch the time be ???gobbled??? up by other events other than just the two bands performing. The time ran out, and, as the players started to warm up, our band began loading their equipment back into the semis. When you get right down to it, somebody got ???robbed???. A parent, who drove to Wilson Central, paid money and expected to see their child perform, got ???robbed??? because they had to pay admission but did not get to see what they paid for. The semis don???t run on good will, they run on fuel. The band members got ???robbed??? of their chance to display the show they have worked so hard to bring to you, the fan. If we take away the bands of high school football, we end up being no different than a youth football game. Me, playing music, for you until the players take the field for the second half. So maybe it is not about playing for the second time, or playing for press box turf, maybe just for once, it is about the players playing for the band that have always played for them. When the horn sounds, I hope I look up and know the Bulldogs are playing for THEIR band.

Well tomorrow night, as you can tell from above, we will be at the Dog Pound. Yes, and we will be inside. If you see us around, give a shout or a wave.

I know in the end I will be writing next week about the Dogs moving on, I feel that good about this one.

Take care, God bless,

???The Stork???

Stork, you are not the first to have experienced such rude behavior from a Wilson County school. Lebanon High has carried that flag high for a long time. Lebanon has a history of petty behavior dating back to at least the 60s in both football and basketball...it appears that the pettiness of Lebanon High has infected Wilson Central. It's time they put that aside and host visitors like most every other school...with respect and courtesy. Stork, this behavior goes back to before you were born.

I stand by what I said too..... there is absolutely no reason for this thread whatsoever.

I usually enjoy your posts, stork and I am sure that the team appreciates all that you do for them......but this helps no one.

i agree there is no reason why you should have posted this....

and how do you know the puppy's will move on

they said the same about last week....

i guess what ever wilson central does they dont get any respect from anyone if you think of it....

Stork, you are not the first to have experienced such rude behavior from a Wilson County school. Lebanon High has carried that flag high for a long time. Lebanon has a history of petty behavior dating back to at least the 60s in both football and basketball...it appears that the pettiness of Lebanon High has infected Wilson Central. It's time they put that aside and host visitors like most every other school...with respect and courtesy. Stork, this behavior goes back to before you were born.

Thanks

I rest my case of what I witnessed your user bio says it all "experience".

Thanksgiving Day and we are still alive. I have 3 topics so let’s get going.

Take care, God bless,

“The Stork”

Topic #1 - Always tough to beat the same team twice in any sport - that is why most double-headers in baseball are splits. Losing team tries to figure out what they did wrong and adjust accordingly and has added incentive of not wanting to lose again - Winning team has a problem trying to fix something that doesn't appeared to be broke.

Topic #2 - Pressboxes - Most schools, especially in Rutherford County, have very little to any say in the size/configuration of their pressboxes. Riverdale, Blackman, Siegel and Oakland have the 'spec' the architect picked out for the press box. And in these days of building permits and code enforcement it is hard to make many alterations without jumping through a lot of hoops - note lack of pressboxes at Blackman and siegel baseball as examples.

At Riverdale, our video man has stood on top of our pressbox since the stadium was opened. We barely have enough room for the coaches and radio folks. I found the Wilson Central media folks to be very nice in both of their visits to Riverdale...

Topic #3 - The Band - If you look at Wilson Central's schedule, their last home game of the season was Smyrna - they were probably having their senior night festivities - a lot of schools like to hold those at halftime instead of before the game to make sure all the folks get to watch. Just a guess?

Good luck to the Dogs and Wildcats tonight - I'll be working the MTSU - UAB volleyball game... But calling to get scores

Yes come to think of it, when we played lebanon i met a coach in the press box (or what appeared to be a coach) that had a pretty crappy attitude towards our players. talking alot of trash at the game too. i also remeber when lebanon got arrived when we played them this year. They thought it would be nice to get off the bus, take a walk behind the field house, come through the gate behind the field house, walk all the way down to the endzone by the scoreboard, and take a long walk down the field all over our big "S" in our field to end up right where they started. I havent never really seen the bulldogs do this. i would be ashamed of my team if they did this.