RBS Football---The $64,000 Question.....

TNBballMan

This is always a wild guess. How many games will the Bulldogs lose this year? Will they be able to survive any kind of assault? They posted a better than usual record after last season but lost many key players. So could we have a start to another Guiness World Record for losses? Could the football program flop and be eliminated from the school? I am open for all remarks regarding the RBS Football fairy tale story.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lalooper

Get off their backs. I don't know the head coach from RBS, but I do know Coach Elrod. He works hard for the kids in everything he does. If they don't win, I know It's not from lack of hard work. RBS does well to have a program. The school is very small. Schools bigger or the same size don't even have a program. Clarkrange and Pickett County. Kids if you want to win in football get your buddies out on the field. No coach can win with 15 players in football.

lalooper, I am not saying each one of those players don't work hard because I know that they most certainly do. For what they have, they give it all they have but just can't seem to win. I agree that Mike Elrod does his part well, and so does Scott Baughn, but the problem I see lies within the head coach, Mr. Cadle. I think that if he was worked out of the ranks and another was brought in we could be much better. We need someone that can convince more and more young men to get out there and someone who knows the recipe it takes to win and not settle for a losing season.

Fellows to have a good program in any sport you have to have the blessing from the top. RBS has to many ast. coaches in there town that are not paid staff coaches. Plus they will never bring someone end from the outside to turn it around. Could it be done.........yep I think so. I know a very good coach who had been to the state playoffs 8 different times who apply for the job the last time it came open. He was not impress having to be inteview with a school board member as well as the principal. They told him they just wanted to keep the score close. Never did they say they wanted a state championship or even a district championship.

I know Coach Elrod and he is a friend and a very hard worker and a good coach. Any coach is going to get tired of trying when you dont have the kind of support that you want.

Plus to get a coach who has been there and done that you are going to have to pay more than this county does. Where did Coach Holmes go....Ga more money and better job. Coaches have to feed and pay bills just like everyone else. Big problems with rural schools. Check the pay that Rutherford, Davidson, Wilson, Putman, Summer, Williamson, pays compared to Macon a darn big difference. If I am not mistake Coach Elrods wife teachers in Ky. where the pay is more. So why come to the school if you are not going to get in the same league as the other counties? Plus the support!

Besides of all of the outside coaches!

Red Boiling Springs is just like about ten other really small schools in Tennessee (almost too small for football)! They struggle playing other VERY small public schools and to my knowledge have never had a winning season (not sure)? It is just my opinion, but I don't think Gary Rankin or the "master" himself (C.F.) could win that region with the bulldogs. This is not a slam on their coaches (I'm sure they are great) or their talent, it is just very difficult to win with so few players.

Guest lalooper

Antwan, I will probably be an assistant coach at Smyrna high school next year. I have visited with them. I have had a few offers, but that looks like a good place to go. I guess I'll no longer be lalooper. I need to change my name on here. Thanks for the good words.

I have never met Coach Cadle and I'm sure he is a good coach! You guys spend way too much time cutting down coaches on here. I do know RBS is very small and unless all of the coaches learn to work together and share the athletes, they will never be much of a winner. Rumor has it they will have a real rough time this year unless Cadle gets the basketball players out this summer.

Well KID ROCK, I will have you know that I support our football team 100%. If there is a game being played on the hilltop I am always there barring any kind of unexpected accident. I love football and I love our team, I just wish they could be better. And I've said it before and I will again, we will not win with Coach Cadle. And yes you are right, the community does support the Bulldogs, there is a stadium full on home Friday nights. But the administration couldn't care any less that what they do now for the program, they're not going to try and give more support or try to get another coach in. They practically want the program to be eliminated from the school, as they tried to do 2 years ago. And as for me being a basketball fan, you're right I am, but I still strongly support our football team.

You are right about the type of coach that would go to RBS. You can either attract someone who is anxious to begin his career as a head coach (knowing that unless he has success, he will most likely end up being an assistant somewhere else after leaving RBS), or you attract someone who is willing to make RBS his last stand as a coach (retire). Every now and then you might find someone who doesn't know anything about RBS (or schools like it) who are willing to give it a try, but soon they figure out the system and begin the search for somewhere else to coach. As others have said before, it could be a nice place to coach if the baseball, basketball, and football coaches agreed to pool their talent and resources together to create a solid football team.

As I said in an earlier thread there was a coach who apply for the football job and yes he is stilling coaching. He has coached in Texas as well as Tenn. He has NEVER had a losing season in football. BUT as the interview was going on he could tell that they did not want a top notch program. They never called him back for a second interview. He had coached on the 5A level to the 1A level and has alwasys turned a program around. Guys it isnt the players or the other coaches it goes back to the TOP! Why wouldnt a principal want the best coach he could get who has been there and done that?????? This is not a knock on the coach now, but if you had a chance to get a coach who has been very successful on all fronts why wouldnt you take him???? This coach will be coaching for another 13-15 years so age was not a factor. And he is still winning!