Tri-County Seven - Week of 9 December, 2007

krichunaka

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have another suggestion as well. Since Providence is the weakest link on Cloudland's schedule (and I agree that we would be better off playing almost anyone else...I'll just miss the ice cream) we can drop them to free up a non-conference game.

Since Elizabethton doesn't play a creampuff non-conference schedule it will be much harder for them to find a weak game on their schedule to dispose of. But I'll suggest single-A bottom rung University High. Sorry CycloneFan, I hope I'm not TOO high on the creampuff-sarcasm scale there!

Anyway, that takes care of Elizabethton-Cloudland and it also matches up two basically equal teams that now need games. The University High vs. Providence Academy game could be added to the schedules to complete the lineup.

Seems like that would take two power programs and have them play each other, and take the two creampuff's and match them up. Everyone wins!

The Highlander

By the way King-ZazA, I would like to congratulate you on your impending fatherhood. It is a life-changing event, and one you will never regret. I can already detect a more mature, introspective, and respectful tone in your posts.

And I agree that the baby will have a good mother, if it is a little girl, she can be another Lady Highlander. If a little boy, then Uncle Mark would make a fine athletic role model.

The Highlander

I know that Cloudland and Elizabethton played a regular season game each year (played at Elizabethton) when Coach Wilson first coached at Elizabethton and Coach Anderson was at Cloudland. It might have even started when Coach Hardin was there, come to think about it I do believe that was when it started was in the Coach Hardin era. They did also meet in the McDonalds Classic as you said. I don't know who ended the games but also agree it would be good for each team to play each other at least once. I do understand the limited amount of games but even if it would be a HOF game to begin the year. This would be a great way to start the season. Could even rotate the site each year. Since the game doesn't count (on record) teams from different conferences could play. Just a thought.

Krich, you and CY are big buddies, and I know he likes to put on tournaments, so there you are. How about getting that done for next year.

The cause for Elizabethton not playing Cloudland or Unaka should be water under the bridge, of little significance/importance now; and with the pre-season tournaments, Hall of Fame (My preference, because it's a no-counter; nothing to lose or gain, 'cept for Very-Temporary braggng rights), I truly expect we'll see them play as early as next season.

CycloneFan is old enough (almost /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> ) to remember McKesson (What a Great Player), Jenkins, Goodwyn Fair vs, Holly (best I've ever seen), Davis, Hardin, Bowers, Taylor on the Mens side. Great games, and due to the short turnaround (Science Hill, Happy Valley, Dobyns Bennett, Hampton often looming on both teams' schedules), there was little time (for either team) to boast. With the recent classic matchups with Elizabethton vs Unicoi County, and Cloudland vs Unaka, I think both "friendly rivalry" games could be played in early-season, or just before district tournament play.

By the way King-ZazA, I would like to congratulate you on your impending fatherhood. It is a life-changing event, and one you will never regret. I can already detect a more mature, introspective, and respectful tone in your posts.

And I agree that the baby will have a good mother, if it is a little girl, she can be another Lady Highlander. If a little boy, then Uncle Mark would make a fine athletic role model.

The Highlander

Thank you Highlander. I know its going to be a big responsibility. I think the girls teams in our area are great role models to look to. And the Byrd man is getting ready to graduate and get his degree after facing great adversity in not getting to play anywhere. A lesser man might have threw in the towel. He's just a great guy. As for my posts, I have a ways to go yet. I'm still having way too much fun sticking it to the creekers on the boys forum. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

A sluggish start as the Lady Rangers trailed 13-8 after one.

Couldn't buy a bucket.

Twenty-three-to-nine second quarter - - Unaka 31 - Cosby 22.

Sixteen-to-twelve third quarter - - - - - - Unaka 47 - Cosby 34.

Eighteen-to-nine fourth quarter.

Final - - Unaka 65 - Cosby 43.

Turnovers, missed shots early on. Looked like the Lady Eagles would make a real game of it.

Five threes in the second- two by Taylor Byars, three for Kaleigh Elsea. Byars, Elsea and Brittany

Scott each hit three 3s for the game; Natalie Johnson hit one.

Scott continues her sensational play with 27 points. Byars scored a dozen; Elsea had 11; Johnson

scored 3; Kayla Winters had ten points and twelve rebounds, and Kayla Wilson scored 2 points.

Danielle Jones contributed mightily, especially defensively.

Encouraging play by Ally Nidiffer and the four freshmen, of course, led by Byars. Tayler Nidiffer,

Kayla Wilson, and Chesnie Cox got to play a lot of minutes. Cox is still fighting Strep; might have

to sit out a few days.

Unaka next plays in Mitchell County, North Carolina.

Happy Valley had an impressive thirty-point win in Mountain City, 66-36.

Cara Bowling is having an impressive freshman season. She hit 16 points.

Hannah Banks led all scorers with 19.

Elizabethton's margin-of-loss is a little surprising.

The Lady Cyclones couldn't hit shots - 25% from the field.

Mariah Pietrowski was held to 4 points (she sat much of the second quarter

with two fouls).

The Lady Cyclones kept the game within reach while Mariah sat, only to see

Unicoi County go on a third quarter, 15-8 run to make it 40-24.

Jasmine Jefferson is having a good season. She had 13 points and 7 rebounds.

Elizabethton's perimeter players - Culler (2), Jones (2), Powell (2), Fritz (2.

Hannah plays guard and forward), and Treadway (3) can, and will shoot the

ball better as the season progresses.

Alisha Mainer (17 points) and Payge Barnett (13 points) continue to provide

scoring and leadership. Amanda Vanhoy and Ali Gardner each scored six points;

Jennifer Edwards scored 2; Kara Lynch and Candice Meadows scored four each.