THE Smyrna Football Hall of Fame

voldawg08

the qb was larry daniels, cant remember who the pass was attended for "from where i was standing i never saw it" just reacted from everyone around me, yes hafner is good one too their is more that started the foundation that i will probably think of later

This is how I remember that play. I think there was no time left on the clock and Daniels threw it up It was a jump ball luke got his hands on it but could not hold on. WOW That was a great game.

I sure miss Josh. He was a great guy and His kids sure are missing out. R.I.P. Josh

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is how I remember that play. I think there was no time left on the clock and Daniels threw it up It was a jump ball luke got his hands on it but could not hold on. WOW That was a great game.

I sure miss Josh. He was a great guy and His kids sure are missing out. R.I.P. Josh

It's so funny that people forget how this game ended. I'll tell you how the play went. First of all, it was second down. I think there was more than 1 minute left on the clock. The route was a hitch. It's a 3 step drop for the QB. Larry took his drop, then rolled out and signaled for Luke to go deep. Luke spins off the DB and goes to the endzone. Larry lobs the ball and the safety hits Luke as the ball touches his hands. The next two plays (which no one seems to remember) go like this. On 3rd down, Larry rolls out again, fumbles the ball, picks it up but loses about 10 yards. Then on 4th down, there was a pass in the endzone that fell incomplete. Cleveland then took a knee and ran the time out.

Also in '95, to correct another posting, Smyrna got beat by Maryville in the regular season. Then Smyrna played them in the 2nd round. Maryville was undefeated, but Smyrna won in the playoffs 18-0. The next year ('96) Maryville played at Smyrna in the regular season and Smyrna won again. Maryville had Toki McCray at QB. Although it was over 10 years ago, Smyrna has a winning streak against the Rebels.

As for the Smyrna Hall of Fame, there are only two numbers retired and you guys forgot to mention one, Walter Jordan. And, from growing up there, I learned Donnie Holland was a darn good player in his time too. Some would argue he was the best to come through Smyrna. It's funny how nearly all of your hall of famers are from the late '90s and later. Some of the people you name were not even significant starters for more than a year. You forgot some pretty good (for Smyrna standards) players. What about Brad Lindquist ? He was all-state. What about O.J. Smith? Tommy Alexander? Sean Rhodes (all-state in '95 I think)? What about Ashley Hunter? He had probably the best career of any LB at Smyrna in the past 15-20 years.

It's so funny that people forget how this game ended. I'll tell you how the play went. First of all, it was second down. I think there was more than 1 minute left on the clock. The route was a hitch. It's a 3 step drop for the QB. Larry took his drop, then rolled out and signaled for Luke to go deep. Luke spins off the DB and goes to the endzone. Larry lobs the ball and the safety hits Luke as the ball touches his hands. The next two plays (which no one seems to remember) go like this. On 3rd down, Larry rolls out again, fumbles the ball, picks it up but loses about 10 yards. Then on 4th down, there was a pass in the endzone that fell incomplete. Cleveland then took a knee and ran the time out.

Also in '95, to correct another posting, Smyrna got beat by Maryville in the regular season. Then Smyrna played them in the 2nd round. Maryville was undefeated, but Smyrna won in the playoffs 18-0. The next year ('96) Maryville played at Smyrna in the regular season and Smyrna won again. Maryville had Toki McCray at QB. Although it was over 10 years ago, Smyrna has a winning streak against the Rebels.

As for the Smyrna Hall of Fame, there are only two numbers retired and you guys forgot to mention one, Walter Jordan. And, from growing up there, I learned Donnie Holland was a darn good player in his time too. Some would argue he was the best to come through Smyrna. It's funny how nearly all of your hall of famers are from the late '90s and later. Some of the people you name were not even significant starters for more than a year. You forgot some pretty good (for Smyrna standards) players. What about Brad Lindquist ? He was all-state. What about O.J. Smith? Tommy Alexander? Sean Rhodes (all-state in '95 I think)? What about Ashley Hunter? He had probably the best career of any LB at Smyrna in the past 15-20 years.

Sorry, I'm only 17 and can't remember past when I was born. Or when Smyrna football was irrelevant to me when I was in 4th grade.

And it doesnt matter how long they started. If they were great players and had an impact on other people, they deserve to make the list. And maybe the reason so many players are from recent years is because in recent years, Smyrna High football has been at its best ever.

Sorry, I'm only 17 and can't remember past when I was born. Or when Smyrna football was irrelevant to me when I was in 4th grade.

And it doesnt matter how long they started. If they were great players and had an impact on other people, they deserve to make the list. And maybe the reason so many players are from recent years is because in recent years, Smyrna High football has been at its best ever.

Well since you are just a kid, you should realize that there were many players who were before your time that were pretty good. And since Smyrna hasn't had a whole bunch of All-State selections historically, I would put All-State selections on a Hall of Fame list before the Daily News Journal's All-Area selections. But that's just me. I lived in Smyrna longer than you've been alive. Someone on here has lived in Smyrna longer than me. I'm sure they would think of someone I don't know of. And btw, it DOES matter how long they started. Halls of Fame don't reward single seasons of being good.

Oakland has an official Hall Of Fame and players are nominated and voted on each yr for inclusion . Three nominees are presented each yr at half-time of one of the football games. I have enjoyed hearing and seeing these former greats be rewarded and hearing of their accomplishments. Most of the ones have been from the early days that were the foundation of Oakland. Only this yr have they included players from the 98 Champ team. Just b/c I don't recognize some of their names ( have only followed OHS since 88) doesn't mean they aren't worthy. I know it is the same with Smyrna.....old-timers first.

Thought I'd add this year's graduating stars to a legendary list of former Smyrna players. If anyone has somebody I forgot, then please post them.

QB Sonny Gray '08

QB David Wolke '04

QB Larry Daniels '??

RB/DB Marsalous Johnson '05

WR Luke Powell '??

WR/DB/KR Rodriguez Wilks '08

WR/DB Josh Crouch '07

OL/DL Adam Smotherman '06

OL James Williams '07

LB Josh Day '08

LB Brock Willis '06

LB Blake Winters '05

Future Hall of Famers IMO:

RB Jeremiah Bryson '11

LB Deon Meadows '11

DB Andrew Jenkins '10

OL Tyler Eady '09

WR/DB Cody Hager '09

OL Nate Smith '11

Did you really put Josh Crouch in this group?