FOOTBALL ON THE COURT

dawgfan12

I have mixed emotions about this topic. Our girls play a very fast-paced, high energy, pressure game. That mean's they are going for the steal, going for the pass, rebounding, and setting hard screens. On offense, we push the ball up the floor quickly and drive to the basket. That means we are going to be initiating contact and getting called for fouls. Okay, that is acceptable to us.

I don't like the intentional dirty play we encounter. And honestly, since we are a border county, we play a lot of out of state teams, they can be worse. One of our players received a bruised sternum from an Alabama team (intentional elbow), and in another game a strained knee ligament from another out of state team. We just recently played a North Carolina team, and as the team videographer I got to film three girls in one play intentionally trying to hook our point guards foot as she rebounded and took off for our goal. The same point guard was tackled from behind in another game and had the girl roll up the back of her leg. Ankle sprain there.

Our other guard went driving on the basket and had a girl "low-bridge" her into the floor. The result was a fractured shoulder-blade.

Injuries and contact are a part of the game, I just don't like the intentionally dirty plays. Usually when you see hooking, holding jerseys, etc. it is because the player is too out of shape to keep up and just wants to slow you down. I don't think it necessarily means a poor player, just a player in poor shape.

The players today, both female and male, are so much better athletes than we were in our generation. Don't forget that with harder more aggresive play, the chance of injury will go up. Let's just hope the ref's will take care of the intentional stuff, and consider the rest a part of the game. As I have said in other thread's, we have made our share of trips to the physical therapists', emergency rooms for stitches, and chiropractors offices. And that is with two girls playing. The boy's can be even rougher!

My $.02.

The Highlander

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AS A PARENT I HAVE TOLD MY DAUGHTERS TO PROTECT THEIRSELVES ON THE BALL COURT OF SOFTBALL FIELD.

SOMETIMES THERE IS JUST ONE GIRL WHO TAKES PRIDE IN HURTING SOMEONE!! YOU CAN USUALLY TELL THAT

WHEN THEY ARE SMIRKING ON THE COURT OR THE FIEILD... AND SOMETIMES ACCIDENTS JUST HAPPEN WHEN

TWO AGGRESSIVE ATHLETES ARE GOING ONE ON ONE.. AND YOU CAN TELL A TEAM HAS RESPECT FOR ANOTHER TEAM WHEN SOMEONE IS HURT BY THEIR COACH!!! SEVERAL YEARS AGO MY DAUGHTER PLAYED SOFTBALL AGAINST A TEAM FROM JOELTON.. IN NASHVILLE AREA.. WHEN THE COLLISION OCCURED ON THIRD AS A BLOCKING THE BASE AS THE RUNNER CAME FROM SECOND.. WHICH HAPPENS QUITE FRENQUENTLY THE OPPOSING TEAM SHORT STOP LANDED ON TOP BUT DID NOT ROLL OFF.. SHE PROCEDED TO HIT OUR PLAYER WITH ELBOWS AND HER CLEATS JUST LIKE KICKING OR STOMPING HER.. AND TO MAKE IT WORSE THE COACHES FROM THIS SUMMER TEAM LET THEIR PITCHER WARM UP NEXT TO THIRD BASE WHILE SHE WAS LAYING ON THE

GROUND!!!! WAITING FOR AMBULANCE TO GET A CT OF THE HEAD. THAT'S EXAMPLE OF THE COACH WHO HAD NO RESPECT AND HIS TEAM... TO MAKE IT WORSE AT THIS NASHVILLE TOURNAMENT THE UMPIRE SAID HE WAS NOT THEIR TO BABYSIT... THE UMPIRES AND COACHES/

PARENTS HAVE TO SET A ROLE MODLE... BUT SOMETIMES IT HARD TO SET TO PLAY CLEAN WHEN YOU KNOW

CERTAIN TEAMS PLAY DIRTY... IN OUR CASE OF SOFTBALL IT'S CALLED A MUGGIN ON THE FIELD/ COURT..

I HAVE HAD MY SHARE OF INJURYS WITH MY 3 GIRLS PLAYING SPORTS MOST OF THEM NOT BY ANOTHER PLAYER ON THE COURT OR THE FIELD... ALOT OF THIS GOES BACK TO THE PARENTS/COACHES AND UMPIRES/REFS..

THERE HAS TO BE SOME CONTROL OF A GAME...IT IS ALWAYS NICE TO SEE AN ATHLETE APOLGIZE OR SAY I AM

SORRY... TO THE OPOSING PLAYER.. I FELT BAD WHEN MY DAUGHTER PITCHING IN 12 UNDER TOURNAMENT

IN OHIO.. THE BALL HIT THE ONLY PLACE NOT PADDED HER ELBOW...SHE HAD TO LEAVE IN AMBULANCE..

BUT I STILL TOLD HER I WAS SORRY AND HOPED IT WASN'T BROKE... BUT THE UMPIRE RESPONSE IS IT WAS ACCIDENT AND I TAKE THE CHANCE WHEN I GET BEHIND THE PLATE... WE ALL STILL NEED TO SAY I'M SORRY.

Highlander, I agree with everything you said, except for the last sentence,

I'm not sure that the boys are rougher. Bigger and faster, yes. So they hit harder.

But the girls get serious. In the boys game, they beat, bang, crash into each other, the walls, the floor. Then they get up and forget about it. The girls hold a grudge, and that makes their game more physical. A jump ball situation usually ends with a player being slung across the floor. And the big post players will do everything short of bludgeoning each other with ballbats to get position. Our post players come home every day with bruises, lumps, and pumpknots, and that's just from PRACTICE. I have to say, though, that I enjoy watching a good physical girls game, as long as, like you say, it doesn't get out of hand.

Highlander, I agree with everything you said, except for the last sentence,

I'm not sure that the boys are rougher. Bigger and faster, yes. So they hit harder.

But the girls get serious. In the boys game, they beat, bang, crash into each other, the walls, the floor. Then they get up and forget about it. The girls hold a grudge, and that makes their game more physical. A jump ball situation usually ends with a player being slung across the floor. And the big post players will do everything short of bludgeoning each other with ballbats to get position. Our post players come home every day with bruises, lumps, and pumpknots, and that's just from PRACTICE. I have to say, though, that I enjoy watching a good physical girls game, as long as, like you say, it doesn't get out of hand.

As a referee in TN high school BB, 9 times out of 10 the girl's game is "rougher and more physical" than the boy's contest. I agree with Buc. The ability by the boy's to avoid as much contact makes their game somewhat easier to officiate.

It's pretty obvious this thread has posters that that have opinions but have no concept of girls basketball, i.e Sisco61. To broadbrush the game is to leave the impression that Tennessee's game is in very bad condition. But realize this poster has only one post and hopefully just have a sense of humor. However, the more I have seen girls basketball being officiated this year, the more offensive players are taking chances that they should not be and the more defensive players have decided that the game is all out war. The real problem is the Officials are letting them do it on both ends. Players are getting hurt and will in the future and careers will end and players are going to be disappointed. It is obvious that parents are going to have to take a stand somewhere along the line as they did almost 3 years ago and demand that there is a point that things have to get back in reason.

Some say that the girls game in some areas has caused it because the skills are being taught and the players have developed so much theat they can implement these tactics. Yep, had a player have a broken collarbone, snapped in too because very honestly the player pushed herself to drive between two larger players, they were determined she was not going to, tripped her and gave her two hips and down she went and outfor some time. No foul called whatsoever. Officials stood there looking at each other. No harm no foul, not quite. Something had to be called, maybe jsut to make a point that it wasn't gong to happen on my watch. Holiday tournaments usually have referees which might not be as expert in making calls and if two teams play that really play agressively, there is the time for trouble. It is obvious that holding and pushing and tugging is actively being taught. It is also obvious that some teams have players, some more than others, that take every opportunity to punish the other players as much as they can. The officials know who they are and it is obvious whn it starts happening, anything goes instead of it stopping right there.

I am not going to broadbrush the officials because some do stop it and can but if it starts and the game winds up at the end of the half with each team having 6 fouls each its very likely someone might get hurt. Then add the calls that could have been missed whatever the reason and there are a few....... If a player reaches out and grabs holdof another players shirtas they are running down the court, it is a foul. If a player is driving to the goal with 3 seconds left and goes up for a layup, and is hit across the arms, it is a foul. If a player drives to the goal and is thrown to the ground, intentionally, it is an intentional foul: two free throws and the ball out on the side. If the play continues like that, whats wrong with the official stopping the game and discussing the matter with the coaches and for that matter with the players. Isn't that a responsibility of the Official, is he or she responsible for the conduct of the game?

IMO, the game has gotten a little too rough. Now that does not mean ticky-tacks need to be called. maybe someone needs to be keeping up with injuries and wherre they and how they have happened again because 3 years ago that is what happened and it did calm down things because they were posted from all over the state on this web site and they were responded to and explained by some very articulate officials. IMO, this poster thought officials were upgraded during that time and officiating got quite good. I still think they are good but the play, in some areas, has gotten rough again.

And the big post players will do everything short of bludgeoning each other with ballbats to get position. Our post players come home every day with bruises, lumps, and pumpknots, and that's just from PRACTICE. I have to say, though, that I enjoy watching a good physical girls game, as long as, like you say, it doesn't get out of hand.

I don't think it's fair to put everything off on the "big" post players. They are on the receiving end of just as many if not more dirty tactics. Many times the ref can't see what the smaller player is doing so they get away with more. My daughter has been bit in the chest has had pinch marks up & down her sides with no fouls called. The sad fact is alot of players feel like "I can't beat them, so I'll BEAT them". And the ref will tells the bigger player "you are big enough to handle it" and they won't call the foul on the smaller player. Hoopgurlz.com had an article on this last year featuring Regina Rogers who is now @ UCLA. I've also seen smaller player try to draw the foul on a bigger player. When the bigger player holds her spot and takes the charge the smaller player will bounce off & hurt themselves.

Basketball is a contact sport, not football contact but contact. Sisco61 does have a point, I have seen girls that have not been taught the proper fundamentals of blocking out or moving their feet on defense, grab, hold, knock down & push trying to regain the position they loss. It's not to say these players are not athletic, but their lack of being able to do some of the basic fundamental, can result in some of the alleged "football play" you folks are witnessing. I don't like to see players get hurt, but girl's basketball has come a long way & unfortunately folks the days of the prim & prissy are over.

I have two sons and two daughters, and no my girls may not be as rough as my boys; however, they are just as mean and determined.

1) The parents & coaches tell those kids whether they are big post players or small point gaurds :

TO BE ROUGH DO NOT LET THOSE GIRLS PUSH YOU AROUND.

2) Most of the time the refrees could really care less ( a few care). I have seen a refree call a fall foul for reaching in or coming over the back then see a player tripped or pushed down and just stand there and do nothing at all.

3) I have never seen a boys game be anymore physical, and if you think that you are just plain stupid!

How many did Russell win at Bradford? 5!!! Your clueless dude, your better off keeping your mouth shut especially when you have no clue. The times that he has taken Gibson Co. to state we have lost to the future state champs every year. South Greene back a couple of years ago and then Chester Co.(they did lose in the next round) with Rebecca Rowsey and Livingston Acadamy with Katrina Beechboard just 3 years ago. Go stick to the tennis or bowling forums, your clueless when it comes to basketball!