Staffs and Assistant Coaches in Upper East Tennessee

screenandroll

Just wondering who has a really good coaching staff in upper East Tennessee. Many times these are the true hard workers of a program that go unnoticed. I am interested in finding out who some of these people are and which teams they help and do any of you think they might be a good head coach one day. I don't know many coaches below Greeneville so let's please limit this thread to teams from Greeneville eastward. Krich, Highlander, Bucdad, Cyclonefan, I know each of you follow a program really close, let me know the staff members and what your opinion is of their coaching ability. As Krich and I have discussed many times this is not an opportunity to settle personal differences between anyone just a thread to let others and myself know who are the ones doing a good job behind the sceens.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SNR,

I can indeed give you commentary on the Cloudland Teams. You are correct that these people don't typically get the attention they deserve, but I've also noticed that many of them may not be interested in any head coach position, they are quite content where they are.

The Lady Highlanders coaching staff is headed by Matt Birchfield of course, and has been for a number of years now. I do not have his record on hand, but he has done a great job year in and year out. One assistant is former Cloudland standout, Ashley Stocton. She was one of the best to ever play at Cloudland, and then had a nice college career as well. The longest tenured assistant is Deani Smith. Deani is the mother hen to the ladies, and is incredibly well-respected and loved by both the players and the parents. Ashley and Deani also handle the coaching duties for the junior varsity since the TSSAA idiots think the head coach might get too tired if they were to actually coach two games a day.

The Highlanders head coach is Ned Smith, Deani's brother. He is very ably assisted by Brandon Carpenter. Brandon also has the privilege of running the JV team. These two are well-matched, and make a great team. Every year it seems like they spend the first 10 games just getting the football out of the players and getting them into b-ball mode. This year is no exception if you review their record. The last four games have probably been their best, and they are winning and playing much more consistently.

I will not speak about the potential for head coaching among any of these people. I think all are quite capable of contributing to any program at which they find themselves. However, I'm not sure the interest is there. All of them bleed Old Gold and Royal Blue.

The Highlander

Thanks for the info Highlander. I remember the Stocton girl. She was a pretty good player. Did she go to King College? I think that is where she went. Sounds like the Highlanders have a good mixture of coaches. I think that is whats needed to make a good staff. Some have the main job of getting on the players and others of patting them on the back. It is hard for a person to be both.

I do follow a team closely, and I do have opinions about each member of the staff.

However, I also have a daughter playing on the team, so I would have to be some special kind of moron to state my opinions on here. As a coaching staff, their record over the years speaks to their ability. They are well respected and are always a major factor in the conference.

Anything else, I'll keep to myself. Anything bad might hurt my daughter's interests, and anything good might be seen as

"apple-polishing" to advance her interests, so no thanks.

I do follow a team closely, and I do have opinions about each member of the staff.

However, I also have a daughter playing on the team, so I would have to be some special kind of moron to state my opinions on here. As a coaching staff, their record over the years speaks to their ability. They are well respected and are always a major factor in the conference.

Anything else, I'll keep to myself. Anything bad might hurt my daughter's interests, and anything good might be seen as

lol "special kind of moron" that was very funny!

Oh well, I guess since I was quite happy to brag on our coaching staff, I can now be considered a "special kind of moron."

Actually, I feel a little remiss for not mentioning that no program is going to be successful without a good feeder system. The middle school programs at Cloudland provide the high school with players that have at least heard about the fundamentals of the game, and have experienced what it is going to be like at the next level.

On the ladies side, Lance Jarrett is in only his third year of coaching. Last year, his eighth grade team won the Sectional State Championship. So, I'd have to say Lance is doing things right. This years team may or may not repeat last years success, but they are well-coached, and giving good effort.

The boys side is coached by Scott Potter. Scott's program has had good success, and I believe they will continue the tradition this year. I don't think the 8th grade record is truly indicative of their potential, and the 7th grade team is doing very well I believe. I'm unable to attend many of their games due to my schedule however.

The Highlander (aka, Special Kind of Moron)

bucdad, you don't have to give a personal opinion on their coaching ability, just wondered who was on the staff. I know Coach Campbell and he has been very successful. I just don't know who is on his staff. If you don't want to comment on them that's ok. I'm pretty sure they already know how you feel about their coaching weither it is a good or bad opinion. Most parents at one point or another disagree with the coaching philosophies or technques of the coaches and any coach that can coach a lick won't let the parents attitudes (good or bad) effect the treatment of a player.

Highlander, again thanks for the additional information. I do agree for a high school program to be very successful they need a good feeder program. If these programs can work together a high school coach's job becomes a lot easier. Feeder programs must teach the fundamentals needed to succeed on the next level.

I'll take a simple approach, as I don't know many of the assistants. The programs that are the most successful over time are clearly doing something right. Single A teams that fit the bill are Cloudland and Unaka, so Birchfield and Chambers have to get some credit and there assistants must be capable. AA teams have to be Unicoi Co., Elizabethton, and South Greene. Elizabethton's staff has turned over three times in four years and South Greene's has transitioned since Ricker left. AAA staffs worthy of mention are Daniel Boone, Tennessee High, Science Hill, and Greeneville. Galyon has also done well at Morristown West. The feeder factor of the middle schools cannot be overlooked. Greeneville and Elizabethton began their building processes at the middle school level. Stability of the coaching staffs, especially at the lower levels, is one key element of a successful program. Community support and administrative also play a big role.

Buc. Your not going to give your opinion on this you give it on everything else! Does Coach Campbell Know who you are? Lets cut to the chase I'll give you my opinion. Coach Jenkins is the head football coach and was head girls coach at South for 3 year's before coming to Boone, Some people are born to coach and he is one of them. Coach Good is a

nonfaculty coach he played for Bobby Snyder at Boone and against Campbell in high school. He seems to be a student of the game.They all three are very competative and fiery, but i think they are all on the same page, a package.

Seem to get it done year in and year out with different kids and with less talent than most teams.

Buc. Your not going to give your opinion on this you give it on everything else! Does Coach Campbell Know who you are? Lets cut to the chase I'll give you my opinion. Coach Jenkins is the head football coach and was head girls coach at South for 3 year's before coming to Boone, Some people are born to coach and he is one of them. Coach Good is a

nonfaculty coach he played for Bobby Snyder at Boone and against Campbell in high school. He seems to be a student of the game.They all three are very competative and fiery, but i think they are all on the same page, a package.

Seem to get it done year in and year out with different kids and with less talent than most teams.

I don't think anyone needs me to tell them how talented a coach Tim Campbell is. His record and history speak for themselves. Jeremy Jenkins is the head football coach, assistant principal, and as talented a coach as any head coach in the area. Danny Good is a non-faculty coach, but he really knows the game, and is a powerful motivator. And Mulett22, you left out Kim Brewer, who is assistant on varsity, and JV head coach.

And don't worry, Mulett22, when I give my opinion, as I "always do", it is always right! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> (yeah, right.....)

And another thing, don't be fooled into thinking they have less talent. It's just that the system does not usually produce the star player, because it is a "team-oriented" system.

I don't think anyone needs me to tell them how talented a coach Tim Campbell is. His record and history speak for themselves. Jeremy Jenkins is the head football coach, assistant principal, and as talented a coach as any head coach in the area. Danny Good is a non-faculty coach, but he really knows the game, and is a powerful motivator. And Mulett22, you left out Kim Brewer, who is assistant on varsity, and JV head coach.

And don't worry, Mulett22, when I give my opinion, as I "always do", it is always right! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> (yeah, right.....)

And another thing, don't be fooled into thinking they have less talent. It's just that the system does not usually produce the star player, because it is a "team-oriented" system.

Hats off to Coach Buchanan at North Greene. I have worked with him two years now he puts as much effort into the game as anyone I know. You can not find a better person. He has devout beliefs and his actions are an example of his beliefs. The girls are very lucky and I hope they take his teachings from the court and into life. Great job coach. Your work will be rewarded.

your right buc my bad.