Claiborne at Union Co. Tuesday night

rSquared

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I admit to being a bit of a homer and HOPE Claiborne wins, but realistically it probably isn't going to happen short of a complete team transformation coming out of the holiday break.

CHS is depleted and bruised right now, just off a series of losses in a tournament held in Middlesboro. It will however be somewhat interesting to see coach Cook bring her CHS team to Union County and play her UCHS team from last year.

Well, I admit to being a bit of a homer and HOPE Claiborne wins, but realistically it probably isn't going to happen short of a complete team transformation coming out of the holiday break.

CHS is depleted and bruised right now, just off a series of losses in a tournament held in Middlesboro. It will however be somewhat interesting to see coach Cook bring her CHS team to Union County and play her UCHS team from last year.

Yea... It will be interesting to watch to teams she destroyed play eachother to see which one she done worse damage to.

I thought both Claiborne teams played a heck of a game tonight. That's the first games I have watched them play since before the holidays and they have definitely improved based on their performances tonight. Whatever has happened in practice was working for them tonight.

Coach Murphy getting two T's called and ejected was entertaining. That was unfortunate for them since they had a run going and that took the wind out of it. I tend to think the officials were a little sensitive on both calls, and they've sure got guts to do that with the UCHS fans screaming at them.

I saw a ray of hope with the girls tonight. They've learned how to rotate the ball and value each possession more than in the past. Ariel has improved a lot, out of necessity I'm sure, but she is handling being the go-to player very well I think. Team chemistry was noticeably better also.

There are still several tough games left but they should be proud of themselves for their hard fought wins tonight and hopefully can build on that going forward.

I thought both Claiborne teams played a heck of a game tonight. That's the first games I have watched them play since before the holidays and they have definitely improved based on their performances tonight. Whatever has happened in practice was working for them tonight.

Coach Murphy getting two T's called and ejected was entertaining. That was unfortunate for them since they had a run going and that took the wind out of it. I tend to think the officials were a little sensitive on both calls, and they've sure got guts to do that with the UCHS fans screaming at them.

I saw a ray of hope with the girls tonight. They've learned how to rotate the ball and value each possession more than in the past. Ariel has improved a lot, out of necessity I'm sure, but she is handling being the go-to player very well I think. Team chemistry was noticeably better also.

There are still several tough games left but they should be proud of themselves for their hard fought wins tonight and hopefully can build on that going forward.

I agree that both Claiborne teams played well and were definitely the better teams on the floor, last night anyway.

I want to clarify something you said, however. Coach Murphy did NOT get two technicals called on him last night. The first one was on an assistant coach on the Union Co. bench who questioned whether the officials were calling fouls consistently on both ends of the court, as the foul count was 6 or 7 fouls called on Union Co. to 1 called on Claiborne at the time. I know this for a fact because I happened to be the person that was whistled for the technical.

The second technical foul was called on Murphy for standing up and slamming his fist on his chair after a Union Co. miscue. The official had previously warned him that he had to stay in his seat due to the earlier technical on the bench. So, the second technical was issued, not for complaining about the officiating, but for the violation of being on the floor.

When the second technical was issued, the officials wrongly ejected Murphy. They realized their mistake after the game, and the head of the officials association apologized to Coach Murphy for the mistake. He should NOT have been ejected.

Hopefully, the officials will set the record straight and the wrongful ejection will be erased from any TSSAA report.

I agree with your statement about both technicals being somewhat too quick and sensitive, and certainly feel that the officiating staff should have been more cognizant of the rules and never made the wrongful ejection!

Also, not trying to justify the technicals, but the ejection did not take the wind out of Union Co. as you suggested. Just the opposite actually happened. We were down by 12-14 when Murphy left the game and went on a run in the final 3-4 minutes to cut the lead down to 4, I believe, at one point. In fact, if it weren't for some missed layups and foul shots toward the tail end of that run, the outcome of the game might have even been different. The point is that the technicals actually served to fire the Lady Patriots up enough to finally begin playing some inspired basketball. I believe they wanted to win the game for Coach Murphy from that point.

We were obviously not happy with the officiating, nor with last night's team performance. But I want to give credit to our girls for playing with some intensity and heart during the game's final minutes, and I want to give credit to the Claiborne girls and coaching staff on the win. They outplayed us for the vast majority of the game, regardless of the officiating, and they certainly deserve the win. Congratulations and good luck the rest of the season.

I was at the game last night. It was a battle between 2 teams of near equal abilities. Union County has not won a district game in over 4 years. This is CC first win in their last 10 regular season games. They are 3-13. Was this a game to judge CC or UC? Can 1 single player beat the top teams in the district ? I saw a player who had started some games walk off the floor and quit the team last night. How many does this make since the coach arrived last spring? I watched CC best varsity player playing in the JV game. Why? I thought that both teams played hard and the game was exciting because it was not the usual 30 point blowout. This is the most excited I had seen UC fans in years.

It is easy to make excuses, just a few strokes on the keyboard. The fact is an assistant coach has no business ever getting a technical foul. Looks like the head coach needs to have control of his bench. In the second place all technicals are assigned to the head coach. Unless you are SURE the official assigned the technical to an assistant coach (an indirect technical) then you assume it to be assigned to yourself. If you are not sure who it was assigned to then the head coach is not on top of his game.

The rest of the story is; following head coach ejection he used foul language as he passed in front of Claiborne bench. Real classey move.

In the closing minutes of the game UC did make a run with three steals and two baskets in a row. But thanks to the UC bench coaches remaining they called a time out on the third steal (with those excited fans you were talking about on their feet). breaking their own momentum and quieting the excited fans. Claiborne builds lead back out of reach.

You left those details out.

It is easy to make excuses, just a few strokes on the keyboard. The fact is an assistant coach has no business ever getting a technical foul. Looks like the head coach needs to have control of his bench. In the second place all technicals are assigned to the head coach. Unless you are SURE the official assigned the technical to an assistant coach (an indirect technical) then you assume it to be assigned to yourself. If you are not sure who it was assigned to then the head coach is not on top of his game.

The rest of the story is; following head coach ejection he used foul language as he passed in front of Claiborne bench. Real classey move.

In the closing minutes of the game UC did make a run with three steals and two baskets in a row. But thanks to the UC bench coaches remaining they called a time out on the third steal (with those excited fans you were talking about on their feet). breaking their own momentum and quieting the excited fans. Claiborne builds lead back out of reach.

You left those details out.

It's also easy to make insinuations and claims when in reality you know LITTLE or NOTHING about the actual situations on the bench/court. Hmmm...where should I begin...

1) Coach Murphy has control of his bench and his assistants. But, I DO agree with you that I had no business getting assessed a technical last night solely on saying "How about calling some fouls down on this end!" I think perhaps the official assessed the "T" because he was overly sensitive after the crowd had been on him most of the game. And, how many times have you heard a coach say that in a game and NOT get teed up for it. I'd venture to say "Many times..."

And, by the way, I do NOT agree with the preposterous statement that an assistant coach never has any business getting assessed a technical foul.

2) If you had paid close attention to the game on the floor, the timeout you speak of did not exactly occur immediately after the third steal. Our point guard was fouled and went to the line and shot two free throws. It was just before the second free throw that we asked the official for a time out IF the second shot was made. Our reason for taking the timeout was twofold. First, one of our guards was gasping for air, but we did not want to make a substitution and change the lineup we had on the floor---a lineup that had been playing well together for the past few minutes. So we opted instead to take the timeout and give our player(s) a short blow.

Secondly, we wanted to make sure it was clear what we wanted to do on defense (go for the steal off the inbounds pass and then foul soon if Claiborne broke the press).

If I need to explain anything else to you that you might have also missed, or you have any other critical remarks to make, I will leave my email address below. Please feel free to email me, whereupon I will give you a phone number to call if you would like to extend this "conversation" further. I will be more than happy to do so, and/or to give you my coaching experience and qualifications should you desire.

Unless I hear from you via email, that's all I have to say on these matters for now.

Like you say, it's easy to pass along excuses, and misinformation with just a few strokes on a keyboard in a public forum such as this one.

roarkr14@yahoo.com

Just for the record, the TSSAA sent a letter of apology to Union Co. High School today, saying that the officiating crew had ejected Coach Murphy in error. Coach Murphy was aware all along of who the first technical was called on, as he was aware that he should not have been ejected when he was assessed the "second" technical.

why is nickel playing on the junior varsity? she is the best player on the team. she probably scored 20 points last night on varsity. how many other high school teams play their top player on jv? jv gives young players a chance to

get ready for varsity ball. i agree that viictories are needed at claiborne. varsity not jv. i welcome any other comments.

Too bad you didn't have Smky Mtn. officials calling your game....hard to blow a rule like that.....Officials don't need to hear comments about officiating from asst. or players....head coach can ask questions, but in a professional way...should take charge of all bench personnel...always a point of emphasis.....

predicted order of finish......Rutledge, GP, PF, Cumb. G., Cla., Union C......Rut. & GP are pretty even....