Will Centennial Girls win a game?

wizard

When the school first opened, he was the coach. By the third year, they were in the region semifinal and lost to Brentwood. In the first round of the region they upset a very good Antioch team. After the season for reasons I don't know, he was not rehired as the coach. (He is not a teacher so he had no standing at the school)

My understanding as to why he was not kept had nothing to do with his abilities as a coach. Dr. Pam Vaden, the pricipal of Ravenwood, feels it was important that coaches also be teachers. Same thing happened with the soccer team and they had a lot of success with Coach West.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding as to why he was not kept had nothing to do with his abilities as a coach. Dr. Pam Vaden, the pricipal of Ravenwood, feels it was important that coaches also be teachers. Same thing happened with the soccer team and they had a lot of success with Coach West.

I didn't mean to imply I knew why he was let go. Sorry

Successful coaches are teachers of the sport, be they academic certified or not.

Appears the NEA ignored some good coaching and the kids lost all around. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Sorry wrong teachers union, same cronyism thought thou.

Successful coaches are teachers of the sport, be they academic certified or not.

Appears the NEA ignored some good coaching and the kids lost all around. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Sorry wrong teachers union, same cronyism thought thou.

Well, when you get these pseudo-intellectual elitists like Dr. Pam Darth Vader over at Ravenwood running the show, they usually don't understand the concept that sports add a lot to the culture of the school. Phd + sports = oil + water. Not really the NEA....just the fact that liberal women have a totally different agenda than conservative men.

Well, when you get these pseudo-intellectual elitists like Dr. Pam Darth Vader over at Ravenwood running the show, they usually don't understand the concept that sports add a lot to the culture of the school. Phd + sports = oil + water. Not really the NEA....just the fact that liberal women have a totally different agenda than conservative men.

I am sure no one on this board knows for sure why she wants coaches to be teachers, only she can explain that. But to say she "doesnt understand the concept that sports adds a lot to the culture of the school" is unfounded. While you may not agree with her policies you can't argue the results. In Ravenwood's short history, open 6 years, they have had many successes in Athleltics, 5A Football State Champions, Runners up the following year. Laccross State Champions two times to name a few.

While you may not agree with her policies you can't argue the results. In Ravenwood's short history, open 6 years, they have had many successes in Athleltics, 5A Football State Champions, Runners up the following year. Laccross State Champions two times to name a few.

Yeah, I'm quite sure that Darth Vader had a lot to do with Ravenwood's football and Lacross successes.....

To suggest that Dr. Vader had anything to do with that is an all out absurdity. A blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile too.

coach T is such a great venue for those of us who have so little to do but to criticize the people who are effecting the lives of young people. God knows we could all do a better job than those who are charged with that task.

First of all, it is "affecting" not "effecting." Dr. Vader will get you for that. I could do a better job than some of the people we are talking about. But, their jobs don't pay enough.

When the school first opened, he was the coach. By the third year, they were in the region semifinal and lost to Brentwood. In the first round of the region they upset a very good Antioch team. After the season for reasons I don't know, he was not rehired as the coach. (He is not a teacher so he had no standing at the school)

He was 24-60 over the three years at Ravenwood(3-5 in post season play). His "good year" was a 15-18 record. He went 8-27 against non-district teams and 16-33 against a weak district 11AAA.

I think those could be some of the "reasons" you can't find. The Principal may very well be the monster described on this site, I don't know. But, she had all the reasons she needed to fire that coach. If you still doubt, have you considered his 9-36 record over the last two years at his new job?

If you think that is a fair reflection of the available talent at Centennial, I think you are part of the problem. Those girls need a coach not excuses.

He was 24-60 over the three years at Ravenwood(3-5 in post season play). His "good year" was a 15-18 record. He went 8-27 against non-district teams and 16-33 against a weak district 11AAA.

I think those could be some of the "reasons" you can't find. The Principal may very well be the monster described on this site, I don't know. But, she had all the reasons she needed to fire that coach. If you still doubt, have you considered his 9-36 record over the last two years at his new job?

If you think that is a fair reflection of the available talent at Centennial, I think you are part of the problem. Those girls need a coach not excuses.

I am sorry if I sounded like I have a dog in this hunt. I don't. I have no idea why he wasn't rehired as coach. I can see that there seems to be a bit of an agenda with a few people in this thread on both sides, so I'll comment.

First, there is a tremendous advantage to having a teacher in the building as your coach. There are a lot of things that go on during the day that a coach can help with only if he is in the building. I don't know if this was the reason Dr. Vaden decided to let him go or not, but, as long as she has a competent replacement, it is reasonable.

But as for throwing around his a record like 24-60 and 8-27, I am not sure that is fair either. First, they didn't even have upper classman the first two years. Second, 11AAA was pretty strong during that stretch. Brentwood, Hillsboro, and Franklin were all very good and Hickman County and Overton weren't too bad either. In fact, I think that Spring Hill had a good year or two around that time as well. Granted, 11AAA is not 9AAA or 7AAA, but it was not that bad. It would be interesting to see Independence's and Centennial's record their first couple of years after they opened.

One more thing, Centennial isn't an easy place to win. For what ever reason, it has always been the black sheep of Williamson County schools. They have never made a region, and to be honest, I can't think of a single college level player that has ever come out of there (maybe Annie Kelly).