Sports injuries- Females

PHargis

Sports injuries are now beginning to been seen and it might be good to get posters to explain the injuries and the kind so that we might accumulate the information and see the reasons why they occurred. 7AAA have had some injuries, a broken collarbone at Siegel, a reoccuring knee injury and an occurance of an arm coming out of a socket. While this poster does not have the info, Lebanon has a knee injury. may after some injuries are mentioned, some ways of prevention can be talked about. It seems most every school has some strength training now and teams seem to be now be spending quite a bit of time on stretching and warmups which seem to be helping a lot. What are some of your thoughts?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some injuries happen and there's no way around them, but then I believe that some occur because the girls are finally feeling the wear and tear of the season. When I played, it was this time of year that my body would start getting tired. Games 2 days a week, practice 6 days a week, and school 5 days a week. I think their bodies just lack some rest and as a result their movements are not as sharp as they were when the season had just started.

Well, this is what i have feared all year. IMO i blame it on the ref's you let a game get out of hand and this is what happen's. Some injuries happen because of freak accidents then others are too much pushing shoving hooking tripping things that are on purpose. The game is being played harder each year due to competition but dirty play needs to stop maybe not all dirty but got to get it under control. Just my oppinion!

Well, this is what i have feared all year. IMO i blame it on the ref's you let a game get out of hand and this is what happen's. Some injuries happen because of freak accidents then others are too much pushing shoving hooking tripping things that are on purpose. The game is being played harder each year due to competition but dirty play needs to stop maybe not all dirty but got to get it under control. Just my oppinion!

I agree. Back in the day when I played, we were physical and there were injuries... I got my jaw knocked out of place, torn ligaments so forth but.........today they can get away with murder on the court. Refs were more consistent when I played and kept the game under control. Nothing wrong w/ being physical but I've seen some games that look like bar brawls.

I think stretching is a big thing. My daughter was told by her trainers to stretch every morning for 20min. She was given a specific routine. Does she do it? NOPE! It also has to do with things you don't think about. My niece tore her ACL & the trainer said it was bound to happen because she runs wrong. This a very athletic kid who gets above the rim. Looking @ her that's not something that jumps out @ you.

Are many schools trainers being active enough in providing support information to athletes to help them keep injuries down?

I've seen both sides of this. The school trainer my daughter has now is great. She works @ Vanderbilt & has told my daughter some things to do. We also have an outside trainer that she goes to year round, they actually gave her the stretch routine this summer. The school trainer then said the same thing early in the year. It's too bad the middle schools don't have trainers. By the time the kids get to high school they have already learned some bad habits & it's hard to get them to stop.

Three to four years ago, this site had a subject on sports injuries, females and one of the main injuries besides acls was sprained ankles. While this poster has seen some sprains, the incidence of sprains has gone down quite a bit it seems. At the time there was comments that ankle braces would not help and a lot said they would but one thing is for sure, the anklebrace business must be good because ther are a number of players wearing team on every team. anyone have any comments. I will say the technology associated with braces has gotten much better but the price is a little higher also.

I??™m from the ???walk-it-off??? era. I would roll or twist my ankles on a regular basis playing or practicing when I played in school. It was always the same thing, coach would tell us to ???walk-it-off.??? Then after practice you??™d ice it down and get it wrapped the next day before practice or game by the school ???trainer??? usually one of the football assistant coaches.

Once off to college it happened more and more, I just didn??™t notice the frequency had picked up. My college trainer only wrapped me, never really informed me about what was happening. Only participated 1 year at this level, as a walk-on at that.

On to adult rec leagues from 20 ??“ 25 years old. More and more it would happen, and would be much more severe each time. I finally had to give up playing around 25. My right ankle would collapse every time I would jump. At 30 years old, while shaving in the morning, I fell to my right when my ankle rolled because I shifted my weight.

Because of ???walking-it-off??? and not providing proper healing time, scar tissue would develop each time and prevent the ligaments from totally healing. I have Chronic-Full Tears on 3 Anterior Ligaments on BOTH ankles.

The T.O.A. (Tennessee Orthopedic Alliance) has told me that, with surgery, I can gain support again. Around 6 months recovery time.

I have not pursued the surgery yet, but will be within the next few months. I now roll my ankles getting the mail and shaving. They hurt like heck all the time. As a result of the injuries, there is also arthritis and tendonitis that adds to the swelling.

I know this is long winded and I apologize.

I don??™t know that braces are the answer because I??™ve been told by an orthopedic dr and a trainer that they could create a reliance on them and you may be more at risk if you were to not wear them. The dr said best to wear them while scrimmaging or in games, but to do drills and such without them to give opportunity to develop the muscles that provide natural support to guard against rolls and twists. Also said, and I can attest, braces only provide so much support.

Really there is no way to prevent this type of injury 100%. Ankle and knees usually get injured in game action, stepping on another player??™s foot, cutting to the basket, etc. THE KEY IS TO PROPERLY HEAL THE INJURY.

I personally believe that these trainers that are assigned to the high schools are doing a good job overall. I??™m sure there are some out there that aren??™t the best. I do wish they would do a better job of educating the players though. Harpeth??™s trainer has been very good over the past few years. My son played football and some basketball and had everything from sprains (ankle, back) to concussions, and she was usually top-notch.

I've seen both sides of this. The school trainer my daughter has now is great. She works @ Vanderbilt & has told my daughter some things to do. We also have an outside trainer that she goes to year round, they actually gave her the stretch routine this summer. The school trainer then said the same thing early in the year. It's too bad the middle schools don't have trainers. By the time the kids get to high school they have already learned some bad habits & it's hard to get them to stop.

BRI, your comment really has some validity about Middle School players not having the right play habits and that this could cause some injuries. Freshman coming out of Middle school for the most part do not know how to run and if they have any ability at all, do not know how to protect themselves in the way they play. By thie time they get to high school, they try to play as they did in Middle school and some 6'2" inside player just swats them against the wall. Some of these players are so beat up by the time they get to High School that they are reinjured. There dies seem to be a need for trainers of some kind to spend some time in Middle School.

BRI, your comment really has some validity about Middle School players not having the right play habits and that this could cause some injuries. Freshman coming out of Middle school for the most part do not know how to run and if they have any ability at all, do not know how to protect themselves in the way they play. By thie time they get to high school, they try to play as they did in Middle school and some 6'2" inside player just swats them against the wall. Some of these players are so beat up by the time they get to High School that they are reinjured. There dies seem to be a need for trainers of some kind to spend some time in Middle School.

Even if they just had a trainer come in @ the beginning of the season to discuss with them the right & wrong way to do things, and to answer any questions. It would be great if it was something the parents could sit in on as well, as the kids tend to forget the details.