Sports injuries- Females

PHargis

I've had two cysts removed, one for each knee that I was told were probably a result of prior injury. When I played we were taped or wrapped by a coach. We had no athletic trainers at our school then. I think it is crucial to have a trained professional that works with players. Like above posters have stated...recovery time is crucial.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that basketball scholorships are important. On the flip side, once you injure your knee,it will always give problems.My expereince anyway. I think proper training techniques are cruicial. It is great that players have access to sports trainers. This may help reduce the number of acl tears, and other injuries.

I also think players should be allowed recovery time without being punished for an injury. the recruits should still be interested in the player and not just mark the ladies off their lists. If they were being recruited professionally, yes mark them off. However, these are high school folks wanting an opportunity to get an education. Yes, it is competitive what isn't these days?? I think colleges need to allow players some rehab time.

Also, high school coaches should not push injured players back into action too early.

One of these days playing sports will be a fond memory. The body will always hurt, ache in the areas that were injuried.So, recovery time is a must. It is the adults responsiblity to make sure that the ladies are prperly trained in strengh conditioning etc.

I understand that basketball scholorships are important. On the flip side, once you injure your knee,it will always give problems.My expereince anyway. I think proper training techniques are cruicial. It is great that players have access to sports trainers. This may help reduce the number of acl tears, and other injuries.

I also think players should be allowed recovery time without being punished for an injury. the recruits should still be interested in the player and not just mark the ladies off their lists. If they were being recruited professionally, yes mark them off. However, these are high school folks wanting an opportunity to get an education. Yes, it is competitive what isn't these days?? I think colleges need to allow players some rehab time.

Also, high school coaches should not push injured players back into action too early.

One of these days playing sports will be a fond memory. The body will always hurt, ache in the areas that were injuried.So, recovery time is a must. It is the adults responsiblity to make sure that the ladies are prperly trained in strengh conditioning etc.

I know some people in high places (I will leave it at that) and if there is a serious injury, one that can be recovered from, they will not give up on a kid. Not one that they have been chasing long term anyways. If they have only a short amount of time in, and do not know they kid really well, they may drop back and see how the recovery process goes. If the kid is good enough, the injury will back a few people off, but not all of them.

If the kid is borderline, then yeah, an injury may hurt them financially. That is why I always stress that there are MANY more academic scholarships available than there are athletic. The odds of getting one of those for academics is much higher than for throwing a ball through a hoop. And you will never see a kid on the debate team worried that his torn ACL is going to cost him a scholly.

Back on topic. What I know, from my days of playing and coaching: Proper stretching, not just before practice and games, but every day. Get out of bed, stretch. Get the blood flowing to the muscles. I good morning stretch routine will help a bunch.

also, as many have said, you have to keep the muscles in condition. You have to work out, but you have to have rest periods. If you are an athlete that competes hard, every time on the floor, practice and games, then you have to find time in your life to let your muscles recover.

I have had 3 knee surgeries (broken kneecap, torn ligament, damaged cartlidge), a torn hamstring (never treated), and a torn rotator Cuff (never treated). Some mornings it takes a bottle of advil just to get out of bed. Get your injuries treated, let them heal, and then go back out and kick some tail. You may hate the down time, but life is too long to not take care of your body.

I think some people reallly don't know what a Certified Athletic Trainer "is" or "does". A lot of people refer to us as "Trainer". I have added a couple of links to my reply and hope each of you takes the time to read them. Thanks..

http://www.nata.org/consumer/docs/ATs_vs_P...nalTrainers.pdf

http://www.nata.org/about_AT/whatisat.htm

I think some people reallly don't know what a Certified Athletic Trainer "is" or "does". A lot of people refer to us as "Trainer". I have added a couple of links to my reply and hope each of you takes the time to read them. Thanks..

http://www.nata.org/consumer/docs/ATs_vs_P...nalTrainers.pdf

http://www.nata.org/about_AT/whatisat.htm

Good point i myself know what a cat does biggest thing i think we are trying to say a child is a child and boy's are more stubborn than girls lol but seriously kids are trained what to do and they will be kid's "it want hurt not to do that i just forget it whatever scenario" I think if the parent would see the child does the correct excercise they are told to do by ther cat then these injuries would be less. We have all been young and invinceable it want happen to me theory time, but education to the parent's to make sure they know the circumstances might be a better approach we as parents need to be involved in seeing the child continues with a routine at home and elsewhere. I respect you guys in what you do. A question concerning your training. How long does it take to get through cat training have someone might be interesting in persuing a carreer in this area. Thank you

Good point i myself know what a cat does biggest thing i think we are trying to say a child is a child and boy's are more stubborn than girls lol but seriously kids are trained what to do and they will be kid's "it want hurt not to do that i just forget it whatever scenario" I think if the parent would see the child does the correct excercise they are told to do by ther cat then these injuries would be less. We have all been young and invinceable it want happen to me theory time, but education to the parent's to make sure they know the circumstances might be a better approach we as parents need to be involved in seeing the child continues with a routine at home and elsewhere. I respect you guys in what you do. A question concerning your training. How long does it take to get through cat training have someone might be interesting in persuing a carreer in this area. Thank you

I really don't refer to what I did in college as "cat training", but if you're meaning what training and education I had in college: I have a degree in Athletic Training. You take classes that involve anatomy, biomechanics, kinesiology, injury prevention, caring for injuries, modalities, taping classes, treating injuries, rehab techniques. Then after you get your degree (usually takes 4 years) that does not make you an Athletic Trainer. You must pass the NATABOC (National Athletic Trainers' Association Board of Certification) exam. This is a three part exam that most study for for 4 years or longer. After passing this exam you must get licensed by the state you work in. You can not practice Athletic Training without a license. To get your license in a state you must show proof that you have a degree in Athletic Training, show proof that you passed the NATABOC exam, get letters of recommmendation, and pass a background check. They don't give Athletic Training licenses to just anyone, since a majority of Athletic Trainer's work with HS aged kids they want to make sure they have no prior record. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask!

I really don't refer to what I did in college as "cat training", but if you're meaning what training and education I had in college: I have a degree in Athletic Training. You take classes that involve anatomy, biomechanics, kinesiology, injury prevention, caring for injuries, modalities, taping classes, treating injuries, rehab techniques. Then after you get your degree (usually takes 4 years) that does not make you an Athletic Trainer. You must pass the NATABOC (National Athletic Trainers' Association Board of Certification) exam. This is a three part exam that most study for for 4 years or longer. After passing this exam you must get licensed by the state you work in. You can not practice Athletic Training without a license. To get your license in a state you must show proof that you have a degree in Athletic Training, show proof that you passed the NATABOC exam, get letters of recommmendation, and pass a background check. They don't give Athletic Training licenses to just anyone, since a majority of Athletic Trainer's work with HS aged kids they want to make sure they have no prior record. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask!

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Thank you for your time very helpful!!

What type of jobs are available between the time that you get your degree, and then pass your Certification Exam? Are there jobs where you work under a CAT? How does that process work. (I know my kids are very interested in this)

What type of jobs are available between the time that you get your degree, and then pass your Certification Exam? Are there jobs where you work under a CAT? How does that process work. (I know my kids are very interested in this)

Sometimes an employer will let you work under an ATC (thats the credential you receive when you pass your NATABOC exam, it stands for Athletic Trainer Certified). When you get licensed by a state then you receive the LAT credential (Licensed Athletic Trainer). You can start taking the exam your last semester in college. If you fail the first time there are usually 2 or 3 test dates you can re-take the exam before you graduate..

Sometimes an employer will let you work under an ATC (thats the credential you receive when you pass your NATABOC exam, it stands for Athletic Trainer Certified). When you get licensed by a state then you receive the LAT credential (Licensed Athletic Trainer). You can start taking the exam your last semester in college. If you fail the first time there are usually 2 or 3 test dates you can re-take the exam before you graduate..

thanks!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Guest bballmom10

This has been a really interesting topic to read! I have a daughter that plays school basketball and softball and on a travel softball team in the summer. We learned very early to listen when she says she is tired. There is a lot of benefit to giving the girls a couple of days off here and there. Her school coaches have done a good job of recognizing that a break can be more helpful than another practice. Ultimately the girls have to feel as if they can take the time to get better without fear of losing their spot. We see too many girls coming to practice with fever or the flu or running the floor with ankles braced and taped because they are afraid to lose their spot. Most of these kids aren't going to play ball after high school, but they will all need the use of their ankles and knees for many years. I appreciate the athletic trainers that force the recovery time and the coaches that understand the need for stretching to be a part of the daily workout. I also appreciate the coaches that say "let's take tomorrow off" so the girls can get homework done and go to bed early for once.

Thanks for the very insightful words you have all contributed to this topic.