Sports injuries- Females

PHargis

This holds true especially in females more so than males. I had a top othro surgeon tell me that the build of the individual has a lot to do with their chances of tearing an ACL. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Stu, good to see we both agree on something for once /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years back the summer team I was working with seemed to be having problems with ACL injuries as well as other knee injuries. The injuries were taking place during the regular high school basketball season, thus costing players important loss of playing time and possible scholorship opportunities.

There was much discussion as to what might be causing these injuries. Although we were never able to pinpoint exactly what caused these problems, it seems that by ending the summer conditioning program(mainly the outside running usually along the lines of cross country, ropes and weight workouts for the legs), and then having a forced break from basketball. Meaning that we played a limited spring schedule of AAU,usually through may. The girls went to camp with Highschool and then there was a break from basketball until really Hooptown. This meant a rest of the body from about july thu september.

The result has been over the past 7 years only two with major injury: only one slight acl tear, she missed about 10 games last year. There was one broken leg (18/19) but, that was because someone fell on it. Now for those of you that think there might be a drop off of ability to play at a higher level. In the last 7 years these players were runner up A ball, State Champions A ball,AA final four 06, knocked out of region 07 by State runner up (Acl, broken leg), and they currently have a great team this season. I also believe that people are underestimating them this season,because most were not aware that 2 of the starting 5 had not been playing all year. the girl with the leg,#2 guard, came back in time to play districts and was not up to par physically or in game shape for district and region.

So I think that these young lady's bodies need the rest, we forget that they get serious about this game at about 12/13 and their bodies are tyring to catch up with their arms and legs. There are probably little tear's that occur during regular playing. With rest these tear's heal, without they just get worse and you get a torn acl or other damage.

I hope this helps you...It has sure helped us

by the way

I am no orthopedist, although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

You might have been injury free even without cutting anything in the way of workouts. When girl athletes play any sport they are four or five times more likely to tear the ACL. The reason why according to some of the top orthopedic surgeons in Nashville is that they are simply not built to play sports. He did not say that they are not good or great even at what they play, just that they are physically not built to play sports and the injuries will continue. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

You might have been injury free even without cutting anything in the way of workouts. When girl athletes play any sport they are four or five times more likely to tear the ACL. The reason why according to some of the top orthopedic surgeons in Nashville is that they are simply not built to play sports. He did not say that they are not good or great even at what they play, just that they are physically not built to play sports and the injuries will continue. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

[/quote

So what are you saying? Girls that tear their ACL's should quit sports? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="