AAU vs USA Wrestling

mocscoobz

Really depends on where you live. I think that AAU is stronger in the East, then Mid-State, and very little representation in the Memphis area. I am not sure if we even have a USA wrestling tournament in East TN for the past few years. The AAU Elementary National Duals are in Kingsport and the AAU Youth Nationals are in Knoxville. USA has been spotty for the last few years state-wide. I think that things are getting better but only time will tell. AAU is a strong organization for the kids with little emphasis on the high school age kids. USA puts on a few decent tournaments but they are not as strong in my opinion. I took a busload to the USA state tournament last year and we waited until 2:00 to even start because the high school kids had prom and needed to go home. I will probably not take my kids back because of the availability of tournaments in GA and NC almost every weekend.

I'm not knocking USA Wrestling or the TN leadership. I know them and they are fine people working hard in a fine organization. I grew up wrestling in USA wrestling tournaments. The patch that I won for being a Cadet State Champioin is still on my backpack. I'm trying to just answer the question as honestly as I can.

I am new in my forray into youth wrestling and I was wondering what the difference between AAU and USA wrestling were. Is there an advantage for one or the other or to join both? Please help me make heads or tails of it all.

I could get into 100 advantageas and disadvantages of either organization. That said don't let anyone tell you one is better than the other. If you want to get the most out of any youth wrestling experience you will join and be active in both. Given the current landscape of TN wrestling and wrestling across the nation you will need memberships to both to fully take advantage of all your oportunities.

Currently different parts of the state wrestle under different organizations for youth wrestling but the AAU is better at holding organized regionals and kid's state tournaments. However, it makes for a long youth season for some to get to them.

More people will undoubtedly chime in with opinions and ideas but a large part of it will have to with where you live. However, if you want to have the most opportunities join both so you aren't limited. And that comes from a member of the TWF / USA Wrestling state board.

There have been some very good posts regarding this issue. The Chattanooga area for example has in the past wrestled locally under no affiliation. the more serious kids would wrestle in the Future Champions, Usa and a few would venture to the tournament of champions in ohio(aau). Things have dramatically changed in the last few years. This year I believe almost all of Nashville is Aau and all teams east of there including all of Chattanooga are Aau. This will allow us to have a real state tournament this year. It should only make our wrestling stronger in the state. That being said there are still many of us across that state that venture to Atlanta to wrestle usa and some will wrestle freestyle and the Liberty nationals under usa as well. There are numerous differences between the two but right now most serious kids are doing both. I do believe usa lost a little of the youth market except for freestyle while Aau continues to grow.

I am new in my forray into youth wrestling and I was wondering what the difference between AAU and USA wrestling were. Is there an advantage for one or the other or to join both? Please help me make heads or tails of it all.

Nationwide I think USA is the stronger organization, though there are areas of the country where AAU is better. In Tennessee USA is growing but still weak. AAU isn't a whole lot better. Kids wrestling continues to suffer in TN and has little chance of improving until we get behind one affiliation. At the present time we have AAU, USA, Chattanooga league, Nashville league and probably several other middle school leagues. The seasons are different, weight classes different, rules differ... in short it is a mixed bag and a diluted mess. We are falling behind the rest of the country as a whole. Don't take my word for it , go down to Georgia and see kids wrestling the way it should be. USA is the prevailing orginization down there and they put our tournaments to shame.

Nationwide I think USA is the stronger organization, though there are areas of the country where AAU is better. In Tennessee USA is growing but still weak. AAU isn't a whole lot better. Kids wrestling continues to suffer in TN and has little chance of improving until we get behind one affiliation. At the present time we have AAU, USA, Chattanooga league, Nashville league and probably several other middle school leagues. The seasons are different, weight classes different, rules differ... in short it is a mixed bag and a diluted mess. We are falling behind the rest of the country as a whole. Don't take my word for it , go down to Georgia and see kids wrestling the way it should be. USA is the prevailing orginization down there and they put our tournaments to shame.

You must not be who I think you are. Tennessee usa wrestling is growing? I thought Aau was growing and Usa was shrinking. There is no Chattanooga Leaugue this year. We have joined Aau with 100% of our teams. I think most of Nashville and all of Knoxville has. Im not even aware of any Usa youth tournaments. While we have a long way to go we are at least trying. As far as Georgia being better thats a no brainer. Atlanta alone has more kids than all of Tennessee put together. How could they not be better. Its actually amazing how well we do stack up against them. In fact our Team Tn that I have taken to the challenge cup beat them two years in a row and we got beat by them last year becasue we were strictly a Chattanooga team. With a couple of the Nashville kids we would probably had a chance of beating them yet again. Its not perfect but we are trying. As far as the middle school goes you are correct. We have certain leagues that are bound by stupid guidelines that hinder our ability to wrestle outside of our league. We need to follow suite and have all wrestling under Aau and not even join the middle school leagues that restrict what we can do.