Baylor Vs. McCallie

allsaints

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrestle90, I was aggrevating you last week because I thought you were one of my McCallie friends who I like to annoy. Friday nite he informed me he was not wrestle90. So I am kind of sorry.

Haha you are kind of sorry? No it's fine. This whole message board stuff is all in good fun. It's funny you assumed I was someone else. My mysteriousness lives on! At least I think so... ha

Anybody know why the team scoreboard wasn't illuminated in the McCallie gym Friday night? Were all the bulbs in it burned out? Were team scores posted somewhere else? If so, I could not find them, and I looked everywhere. Even had Cupcake's girlfriend (in her tight red sweater straining to contain its fleshy cargo) check the ladies room to see if the team scores were posted in there. No luck. Fortunately, the math wasn't too complicated (12 times 6 equal 72, and 4 plus 4 equal 8).

Anybody know why the team scoreboard wasn't illuminated in the McCallie gym Friday night? Were all the bulbs in it burned out? Were team scores posted somewhere else? If so, I could not find them, and I looked everywhere. Even had Cupcake's girlfriend (in her tight red sweater straining to contain its fleshy cargo) check the ladies room to see if the team scores were posted in there. No luck. Fortunately, the math wasn't too complicated (12 times 6 equal 72, and 4 plus 4 equal 8).

They flashed it up at least once, when it was 66-8 prior to the last match (119). The scoreboard they used showed either weight or team score, but not both. That was the explanation I got from one of my EBE friends.

Was that cupcakes girlfriend? I am a bit emabarrassed. I called all the news channels and newspapers and reported a Sasquatch sighting.

Haha you are kind of sorry? No it's fine. This whole message board stuff is all in good fun. It's funny you assumed I was someone else. My mysteriousness lives on! At least I think so... ha

Keep up the good work Wrestle90.

This isn't Art it ??

Please check in on Allsaints for me. Last time I saw him he was as red in the face as I was when EFT dance squad came out right in the middle of our match against Ooltewah.

bcb iii /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Keep up the good work Wrestle90.

This isn't Art it ??

Please check in on Allsaints for me. Last time I saw him he was as red in the face as I was when EFT dance squad came out right in the middle of our match against Ooltewah.

bcb iii /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I do what I can...

I know that most of us are now focused on this coming weekend's big event, but I hate to have the 80th Baylor-McCallie match fade with so little mention of it. Especially now that McCallie has been identified by the local media as the presumptive winner this weekend at the Duals--silly me, I thought we were done with them for the year.

But, since we're apparently not, I want to echo words that have been posted before--that I greatly admire any kid who is willing to stand alone in the spotlight and risk what wrestlers do in circumstances like that. Kudos to all of them, especially the youngest ones and first timers, and particularly to 8th graders whose varsity careers were less than a week old. I've heard nothing but nice things about Tim Westbrooks and he represented himself a lot better than the boxscore wound up reflecting. And Daniel McClure, going out to face a senior three-time state champion? Wow. He, too, was sold-short by the box score.

T.J. wrestled well, and it was very generous of Trey Stavrum to finally allow someone else to be the hero of a Baylor-McCallie dual meet. It was getting ridiculous. He's hogged that title since the 8th grade and I'm glad to see him recognize that it just wasn't necessary this year.

And Hooker is a machine. He's really something. That's probably the biggest stage he's trod so far, and he certainly made a statement. We have three 8th graders going to school within thirty miles or so of each other who all have the potential to have historic careers. You gotta love being a wrestling fan in this part of the state.

What I'll take from that match as much as anything, though, is Alex Manley's absolute refusal to quit when he got caught in a crushing hold on his back early in the second period. When he went down I didn't think he could last 10 seconds, and he lasted ten times that, for more than a minute and a half, until the period ended. The standing ovation he got was well-deserved. I'm sure he's not interested in moral victories, but moral victories provide the foundation for more substantive ones, and the courage and tenacity he again showed he has will serve him well.

I have a gap in my Baylor wrestling knowledge from the years that I lived away up north, but the only similarly dramatic refusal to submit that I can remember was the 1981 state finals match between Bobby Bullard and defending state champion Mike (I think) Temple of East Ridge. I think Bullard was up 5-2 early in the third when he gave up a five-point move that landed him dead-to-rights on his back. Somehow he managed to avoid the pin for more than a minute and a half and pulled his head out for a reversal at the buzzer that tied the score at 7-7. He then won in overtime. The kicker was that the team outcome rode on that match, and Baylor won the title as a result. I think all that's right; someone feel free to correct it if it's not. (It's worth mentioning too that Temple's father was sitting nearby and my father still remembers how gracious he was during and after that tough loss.)

Speaking of old people, Friday I also found myself able to genuflect before the great Doug Dyer and Scott Kelley simultaneously, the undefeated senior state champions from the 1978 Baylor team that is perhaps the greatest in Tennessee history. In a tournament that included every school in the state, public and private, and that required passage through two qualifying tournaments, Baylor qualified nine wrestlers in the twelve weight classes, and finished with seven finalists and eight place winners (which then were just those finishing in the top four). Baylor finished with 150 points, second place scored 93.5. Thirty years ago exactly. Dyer, Kelley, Lyle, Watson, Stout, Stevenson, Barbee, Tindall, and Reynolds. Cheers, fellas.

Finally, BCB and Harry, you will enjoy hearing that on Friday I was accused of being... Cupcake. And by someone who probably really should have known better. The funniest thing is that I don't think that he believed (or believes) my denial. Without a single lie I have diverted many who have asked whether I might be BRB, but though I was able to look this guy straight in the eye and say "No," I don't think he was convinced. There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Onward and upward,

BRB

I know that most of us are now focused on this coming weekend's big event, but I hate to have the 80th Baylor-McCallie match fade with so little mention of it. Especially now that McCallie has been identified by the local media as the presumptive winner this weekend at the Duals--silly me, I thought we were done with them for the year.

But, since we're apparently not, I want to echo words that have been posted before--that I greatly admire any kid who is willing to stand alone in the spotlight and risk what wrestlers do in circumstances like that. Kudos to all of them, especially the youngest ones and first timers, and particularly to 8th graders whose varsity careers were less than a week old. I've heard nothing but nice things about Tim Westbrooks and he represented himself a lot better than the boxscore wound up reflecting. And Daniel McClure, going out to face a senior three-time state champion? Wow. He, too, was sold-short by the box score.

T.J. wrestled well, and it was very generous of Trey Stavrum to finally allow someone else to be the hero of a Baylor-McCallie dual meet. It was getting ridiculous. He's hogged that title since the 8th grade and I'm glad to see him recognize that it just wasn't necessary this year.

And Hooker is a machine. He's really something. That's probably the biggest stage he's trod so far, and he certainly made a statement. We have three 8th graders going to school within thirty miles or so of each other who all have the potential to have historic careers. You gotta love being a wrestling fan in this part of the state.

What I'll take from that match as much as anything, though, is Alex Manley's absolute refusal to quit when he got caught in a crushing hold on his back early in the second period. When he went down I didn't think he could last 10 seconds, and he lasted ten times that, for more than a minute and a half, until the period ended. The standing ovation he got was well-deserved. I'm sure he's not interested in moral victories, but moral victories provide the foundation for more substantive ones, and the courage and tenacity he again showed he has will serve him well.

I have a gap in my Baylor wrestling knowledge from the years that I lived away up north, but the only similarly dramatic refusal to submit that I can remember was the 1981 state finals match between Bobby Bullard and Mike (I think) Temple of East Ridge. I think Bullard was up 5-2 early in the third when he gave up a five-point move that landed him dead-to-rights on his back. Somehow he managed to avoid the pin for more than a minute-and-a-half and pulled his head out for a reversal at the buzzer that tied the score at 7-7. He then won in overtime. The kicker was that the team outcome rode on that match, and Baylor won the title as a result. I think all that's right; someone feel free to correct it if it's not. (It's worth mentioning too that Temple's father was sitting nearby and my father still remembers how gracious he was during and after that tough loss.)

Speaking of old people, Friday I also found myself able to genuflect before the great Doug Dyer and Scott Kelley simultaneously, the undefeated senior state champions from the 1978 Baylor team that is perhaps the greatest in Tennessee history. In a tournament that included every school in the state, public or private, and that required passage through two qualifying tournaments, Baylor qualified nine wrestlers in the twelve weight classes, and finished with seven finalists and eight place winners (which then were just those finishing in the top four). Baylor finished with 150 points, second place scored 93.5. Thirty years ago exactly. Dyer, Kelley, Lyle, Watson, Stout, Stephenson, Barbee, Tindall, and Reynolds. Cheers, fellas.

Finally, BCB and Harry, you will enjoy hearing that on Friday I was accused of being... Cupcake. And by someone who probably really should have known better. The funniest thing is that I don't think that he believed (or believes) my denial. Without a single lie I have diverted many who have asked whether I might be BRB, but though I was able to look this guy straight in the eye and say "No," I don't think he was convinced. There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Onward and upward,

BRB

Ah, the wisdom of a learned man. BRB, this is a great summation that puts perspective on the important parts of an unusual dual match in the long tradition of a great rivalry.

Thanks-

Ah, the wisdom of a learned man. BRB, this is a great summation that puts perspective on the important parts of an unusual dual match in the long tradition of a great rivalry.

Thanks-

BRB, The Mike Temple you spoke of went to to do great things. I believe he won state the next year, graduated and went to Vandy. He is currently an executive at Unum and an avid wrestling fan. He quitely supports several local wrestling programs.

Was that cupcakes girlfriend? I am a bit emabarrassed. I called all the news channels and newspapers and reported a Sasquatch sighting.

Grappler- I'm learning to love you! So did you keep score on your fingers or toes during the match? We all know it was one or the other; unless you had farm and or hunting related accident that removed several digits

CC

BRB, The Mike Temple you spoke of went to to do great things. I believe he won state the next year, graduated and went to Vandy. He is currently an executive at Unum and an avid wrestling fan. He quitely supports several local wrestling programs.

That's nice to know. And thanks for reminding me that he was a state champion--I forgot to mention that. Except that I think he had won it the year before and was the defending champion in '81 (and I edited the post to reflect that).