What has made your program successful?

westtnbballer

Coaches are only as good as their players.... the "better" Coaches get their players to do "buy into the system" what they - the coaches - are teaching them to do.

Redog:

You are absolutely right. But there's the problem. How do you get the players to buy into the system? In my opinion, the best way is for the coach to involve the parents in his/her strategy to get the kids to buy in. I'm not saying that you should give the parents a free hand in the affairs of the team, I'm just saying that ignoring them or completely shutting them out only invites or worsens any problems.

It really surprises me the number of coaches who automatically assume parents are just trouble and treat them like they've got some horrible disease that he/she might catch. In my opinion, whether you like it or not, the parents do exist and they'll impact your program one way or another. The impact might not be immediate, but they can have an effect. Better to form the most positive relationship you can with them as a whole than to act like nothing is happening that won't affect your plans. In fact, parents can, not always, but CAN add to a coach's efforts and make the coach's job easier.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Redog:

You are absolutely right. But there's the problem. How do you get the players to buy into the system? In my opinion, the best way is for the coach to involve the parents in his/her strategy to get the kids to buy in. I'm not saying that you should give the parents a free hand in the affairs of the team, I'm just saying that ignoring them or completely shutting them out only invites or worsens any problems.

It really surprises me the number of coaches who automatically assume parents are just trouble and treat them like they've got some horrible disease that he/she might catch. In my opinion, whether you like it or not, the parents do exist and they'll impact your program one way or another. The impact might not be immediate, but they can have an effect. Better to form the most positive relationship you can with them as a whole than to act like nothing is happening that won't affect your plans. In fact, parents can, not always, but CAN add to a coach's efforts and make the coach's job easier.

That is the coaching part - "I know all there is about basketball and how to win" - the key is getting ur team to do it - If they do it and still can't win or get better - u need better players

That is the coaching part - "I know all there is about basketball and how to win" - the key is getting ur team to do it - If they do it and still can't win or get better - u need better players

or better coaching.

/blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Sorry could not help myself. Im moving along now, no harm intended!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Well I disaggree. i have been a parent and a coach and there is alway's problems with parents who are too involved. Most of the time they sit in the stands and question every single thing the coach does and to often alot of the problems are based on playing time. Lets face the facts, most parents want to be involved so it will result in more playing time thats it. Unless you have coached @ AAU, High School or College, please you have no idea. Parents will aproach you before the game ,after the game, call you at all hours of the night and on weekends during family time and want to sit with @ dinner if they find you out at Outback. Trust me on this one. Let the coaches coach and the parents support the coach and the player. After all no one ever loses a game from the STANDS including me!

Parents - I know what you mean - it's tough - but they (parents which I am) just need to support their son or daughter, the team, and the coach ...... Winning solves a lot of problems -- everyone can't win though - even though eveyone wants to win ....... I have been on both sides winning/losing - for a long time --- Some teams dominate with the same coaches and they have had off years too / but not many -- but did they go dumb that year and the coaches/team get better - no -- the players.........

or better coaching.

/blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Sorry could not help myself. Im moving along now, no harm intended!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

exactly - getting/coaching ur players to play winning basketball - or get better players = better coaching

exactly - getting/coaching ur players to play winning basketball - or get better players = better coaching

Whatever happened to the part of coaching where you got what you got and developed those players into the team they needed to be? Are you saying that the only thing a coach does is recruit a bunch of good, pretty-much-all-ready-to-go players and just start plugging them into your x's and o's?

Whatever happened to the part of coaching where you got what you got and developed those players into the team they needed to be? Are you saying that the only thing a coach does is recruit a bunch of good, pretty-much-all-ready-to-go players and just start plugging them into your x's and o's?

Today, we are a consumer society. Parents have more and more started to look at schools from that point of view. They will go to extraordinary measures to get their children in schools they feel will promote their good traits, whether it be academic or athletic. I believe many coaches in situations with good athletes can be successful. Very few programs without this type of consumer society would be successful 5, 10 or 15 years in a row. That is the college atmosphere that I feel has filtered down into the High school arena that is really a negative. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Exactly - you get what you get - the better coaches get their players to do what he/she wants them to do - doesn't mean they win - hence u have to have better players. I have seen a team go to the state one year - did the coach get better? - no - better players.... did the coach that had dominated that district get worse - no - not as many good players.....

Today, we are a consumer society. Parents have more and more started to look at schools from that point of view. They will go to extraordinary measures to get their children in schools they feel will promote their good traits, whether it be academic or athletic. I believe many coaches in situations with good athletes can be successful. Very few programs without this type of consumer society would be successful 5, 10 or 15 years in a row. That is the college atmosphere that I feel has filtered down into the High school arena that is really a negative. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Back in my day, you had MBA. and Father Ryan - look at the landscape now - it has changed

Exactly - you get what you get - the better coaches get their players to do what he/she wants them to do - doesn't mean they win - hence u have to have better players. I have seen a team go to the state one year - did the coach get better? - no - better players.... did the coach that had dominated that district get worse - no - not as many good players.....

Redog,

We may be arguing the same point and I don't understand totally what you are saying.

You can be a great coach and never make the state tournament or even out of district IMO.

Your kids can be fundamentally sound, but physically average, while you might be able to compete well within you district but that hump that hits many of us is a lack of athletes. Larry Bird was one of the best basketball players of his time. Would he have be as great with the same skills at 6"1" as he was at 6'9". /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Redog,

We may be arguing the same point and I don't understand totally what you are saying.

You can be a great coach and never make the state tournament or even out of district IMO.

Your kids can be fundamentally sound, but physically average, while you might be able to compete well within you district but that hump that hits many of us is a lack of athletes. Larry Bird was one of the best basketball players of his time. Would he have be as great with the same skills at 6"1" as he was at 6'9". /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I think we probably are but to the question/you have to have better players - I have seen lousy coaches win with great players