15AAA

Dragonmaster

I have never heard of a TSSAA sectional for Freshman. I know they won the city 9th grade championship. Many WS freshman also get minutes in their varsity games. They are an excellent group of young ladies.

Well here's the scoop. The TSSAA Freshman Sectional Championship was held at American Way Middle last week between WS and Hamilton. The all tournament team was Ashley Smalls (WS), Breanna Rigell (WS), Hasina Muhammad (WS) MVP, Shavontae Bright (H), Diana Johnson (H). Other teams were Munford and Fayette-Ware.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overton, from doormat to Champions, with 2 free throws with no time on the clock. The 3 other coaches around me all said the foul had to be called. the young lady did not have a place to come down. With 3 minutes to go we were saying free throws would determine the game. it just went the other way.

Overton 1st

White Station 2nd

Houston 3rd

Wooddale 4th

I believe this gives us the possibility to have 3 teams through the first round.

Anyone!

What happened with WS v. Overton? I agree, free throws lost this game for WS, missing 5 of the last 6, but why would WS press with 6 10ths of a second on the clock? Bizarre. I agree, the refs should have called the foul. I also don't understand the rotation. Casey Gregory out scored all the other guards, sparking every time she was put on the floor. She should have seen more time. Can't quite understand. Philtenn hope you can offer insight.

You have to do what brung ya.... When WS pressed the seemed to not bother overton much, but in all their comebacks in district this year late in games they pressed. You have so many players you can't make them all happy. they probably have 7 guards that would start for at least 5 of the teams in our district. They have 4 post wing players that would do the same. They only lose 2 of that group I believe and have a great freshman group.

I hate to second guess a coach, but Collierville has excellent academics for anyone that is enrolled at our school....

Coaching lost the game. Many of the girls came out flat, but they were functioning OK. From where I sat, I could see him yelling intensely, even as the girls were about to go to the free throw line (and yelling at the girls who were about to go to the free throw line). As long as he continues to allow his emotions to dictate his actions, this talented team will have trouble winning big games. He should wait until the game is over to scream at them. #1 did provide spark, and probably should have played more, but remember it was she who committed that unthinkable foul with no time remaining. The refs had to call it.

Yes, the girls need to work on their mental game, but his constant tearing them down during a game is just stupid. With the exception of Bobby Knight and maybe a few others, how many good coaches consistently give only negative feedback during a game? Yell and scream at them during practice. Coach them during a game.

If they win Friday it will be a miracle, sad to say.

People are talking alot about Upperman, South Greene, and a couple of other teams. I've heard a bit about Livingston Academy and Jackson County. Someone told me that their program was nationally ranked. I doubt that, but you never know. Look out for some of the Knoxville teams.

If you are still interested, most of the teams listed above for the "East" are aa schools, not aaa. Livingston Academy and Jackson County ARE powerhouses for the AA. South Greene and most of the rest are also AA. Jefferson County is AAA and was knocked out first round of the tourney The only real competiton for you will be Greenville (East) and whoever survives from UPPER East. The last time I looked, which was last week, they were ranked eight in the state for AAA. They have a couple of very talented and ranked players. The Knoxville teams are always good.

Coaching lost the game. Many of the girls came out flat, but they were functioning OK. From where I sat, I could see him yelling intensely, even as the girls were about to go to the free throw line (and yelling at the girls who were about to go to the free throw line). As long as he continues to allow his emotions to dictate his actions, this talented team will have trouble winning big games. He should wait until the game is over to scream at them. #1 did provide spark, and probably should have played more, but remember it was she who committed that unthinkable foul with no time remaining. The refs had to call it.

Yes, the girls need to work on their mental game, but his constant tearing them down during a game is just stupid. With the exception of Bobby Knight and maybe a few others, how many good coaches consistently give only negative feedback during a game? Yell and scream at them during practice. Coach them during a game.

If they win Friday it will be a miracle, sad to say.

I noticed the same thing with the coaching. I also noticed players blaming one another on the court rather than pumping one another up. They just seemed to lack the cohesiveness and the intensity, coaching style could have something to do with that.

Yeah, #1 did make the big mistake, BUT why weren't the girls told by the coach to set up defense down court? A player barely has time to catch the ball in 6/10 of a second, let alone square up and make a decent shot. Of course the refs had to call it--either that or TRAVEL /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I noticed the same thing with the coaching. I also noticed players blaming one another on the court rather than pumping one another up. They just seemed to lack the cohesiveness and the intensity, coaching style could have something to do with that.

Yeah, #1 did make the big mistake, BUT why weren't the girls told by the coach to set up defense down court? A player barely has time to catch the ball in 6/10 of a second, let alone square up and make a decent shot. Of course the refs had to call it--either that or TRAVEL /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I agree. That was comical last night with the traveling calls.

Did you notice the other refs that came in. Mr. Arata didn't get sent the tournament brackets with the correct time. There were supposed to be 3 different refs. the game would have been entirely different. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

How many traveling calls did they call anyway? You would have thought it was rec ball.

Bballextreme, I agree, the coach should have told them not to foul, not to press with .6 seconds left. But again. That's coaching. He got caught up in the emotional moment of the game.

And why is it that some girls can get away with lowering their shoulder on a drive into the basket and rarely get called for a charge? I thought #3 from Overton should have had that called on her several more times.

But in the end, it did not come down to the refs. I still say that loss should go into the WS coach's column.

I agree. That was comical last night with the traveling calls.

Did you notice the other refs that came in. Mr. Arata didn't get sent the tournament brackets with the correct time. There were supposed to be 3 different refs. the game would have been entirely different. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Hey Dragonmaster, here's another reason why Ridgeway is not a great place to host a tournament--isn't it the tournament site's responsibility to make sure the refs get the right info about the game times?

The gym is lousy too, especially when there is a big crowd--people walking in have to practically walk on the edges of the court in order to find their way to the bleachers. And no chairs for the players to sit in. Memphis City Schools were trying to cut too many corners when they put that gym up.

There were 3 guys and they were upset because all 3 had a 7:00 start time.

Mr. Arata did not have the brackets Saturday morning and we never start games at 5:00 and 6:30 any way...Why weren't the 3rd and 4th place boys and girls one night and the championships another night. I think I am headed to Millington and Bartlett tonight. That is at millington right...

Anybody there come up and say hello. I will be in the Maroon shirt.