Time to Split Division 1 in to two Divisions

Bigdog01

The time has come for the TSSAA to split the Team Portion of Division 1 into 2 separate divisions. The small schools (A & AA aren't being represented in the state team finals.

They all to often are grouped into a district with 4A and 5A schools that have a far larger pool of students to build a team from. High School Bowling in Tennessee is growing every year with more and more High Schools fielding teams.

Some of these smaller schools have individuals that can compete on the top level but trying to field a team of 6 girls and 6 boys that can compete is near impossible.

We are in a district that has about all of the various High School Student Bodies covered. Our smallest High School is under 200 and the largest is over 1600.

Think about it objectively and chime in as you wish I'm sure that this will be interesting to say the least.

This has kind of been brought up before. I really don't think we have near enough teams to break up into A/AA and AAA.

Take a look at the current makeup 2008 Bowling Cllassification

You range from only 4 teams in Region 1 to 31 teams in Region 5. As it is now, you have some teams winning their Districts and automatically winning their Region. Breaking up would only worsen this situation.

How about a completely different suggestion? Groups all bowlers into 2 divisions, boys and girls. There would be no Division I and Division II, only boys and girls. You could reduce the size of your field and the State Tournament and increase the quality of bowling at the same time.

Look at the Division II Individual results:

2008 Division II Girls

2008 Division II Boys

To me, it is absolutely rediculous that you have bowlers bowling in the State Tournament that can't break 150. The State Tournament in any sport is about identifying champions, be they individuals or teams. Division II just waters down this process. If it is only a "feel good" thing so that "everyone" can have a State champion, then I kind of understand it. But, if the State Tournament is truly about identifying champions and highlighting quality in sports, then we should not water down the sport by offering awarding champions in 2 divisions.

What are your thoughts?

catsbackr,

I agree with that thought for the singles titles but it would not resolve the team situation I'm addressing. You would still have teams with extremely limited student bodies trying to compete with the Goliath sized high schools. It's not going to solve anything except to create a single championship within the team division, still heavily favoring the larger high schools.

If I had a bullet proof solution I would present it, I'm just trying to get a good discussion going and maybe a solution could be found.

The time has come for the TSSAA to split the Team Portion of Division 1 into 2 separate divisions. The small schools (A & AA aren't being represented in the state team finals.

They all to often are grouped into a district with 4A and 5A schools that have a far larger pool of students to build a team from. High School Bowling in Tennessee is growing every year with more and more High Schools fielding teams.

Some of these smaller schools have individuals that can compete on the top level but trying to field a team of 6 girls and 6 boys that can compete is near impossible.

We are in a district that has about all of the various High School Student Bodies covered. Our smallest High School is under 200 and the largest is over 1600.

Think about it objectively and chime in as you wish I'm sure that this will be interesting to say the least.

good point there..i see where u are coming from...but if u look at the school that are in state they are school some people dont know of (because of the size of the town or just in the sticks) you dont see big big schools in state... the smaller school are good at bowling and the bigger schools are always good at football...i really dont know a team at state that has made it to state in football so you aee where iam comign from??? soddy daisy?? hixson??? page?? i mean not to be mean but i really dont here of them school winning in like football or basketball..but i could be wrong...

good point there..I see where you are coming from...but if you look at the schools that are in state they are school some people don't know of (because of the size of the town or just in the sticks) you don't see big big schools in state... the smaller school are good at bowling and the bigger schools are always good at football...i really don't know a team at state that has made it to state in football so you see where I'm coming from??? Soddy Daisy?? Hixson??? page?? i mean not to be mean but i really don't here of them school winning in like football or basketball..but i could be wrong...

Apples to Apples not Apples To Oranges Kid. We're not talking about football, baseball nor basketball here. I believe I stated that bowling was the sport in question.

Apples to Apples not Apples To Oranges Kid. We're not talking about football, baseball nor basketball here. I believe I stated that bowling was the sport in question.

i know but alot of smaller school are coming out..and are better at bowling than football there school say "bowling is our sport not football" so that is why u dont see much from them school oh nvm