State Duals Brackets

temprelief

If a wrestler makes it through an individual state champoinship bracket and is the winner, he is state champion(period). No person can take that away from him, no loss after that whether in a dual meet or in a summer tournament or otherwise can erase that hard earned fact. He had his hand raised as a state champion and nothing can "taint" that. He will be proud and even more confident to go out and wrestle for his team.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrestle90

Do you believe that if the situation were reversed that Coach GC would let Hooker wrestle? If Hooker were #1 seed, and if the match was decided prior to the 112 match, do you think Hooker would wrestle? I would not let him wrestle in that situation and I am pretty darn sure Coach C wouldn't either. Does that make us cowards?

To answer your question- and I honestly and truly mean this, I'm not just saying it because it fits what I've been saying all along- I know Gordon Connell very well and I know how he feels about Hooker and his wrestling abilities. He is very confident that Hooker is the best wrestler in the state at 112- DI and DII. Therefore, if Hooker had the number one seed, as Baucke does right now, going into the duals then yes, I KNOW Connell would wrestle Hooker. He's confident he would win it!

And 2blLeg, when you said "what purpose would it serve to wrestle a match at this level that means nothing." A match that means nothing? At this point, that match means EVERYTHING going into the individuals. A few years ago your statement would be true because head to head match ups at the state duals didn't factor into the seeding for state individuals but now they do, and a Baucke-Hooker match, number 1 and 2 seeds respectively, would decide who the final number 1 seed would be going into the state individuals. How can that mean nothing...?

To answer your question- and I honestly and truly mean this, I'm not just saying it because it fits what I've been saying all along- I know Gordon Connell very well and I know how he feels about Hooker and his wrestling abilities. He is very confident that Hooker is the best wrestler in the state at 112- DI and DII. Therefore, if Hooker had the number one seed, as Baucke does right now, going into the duals then yes, I KNOW Connell would wrestle Hooker. He's confident he would win it!

And 2blLeg, when you said "what purpose would it serve to wrestle a match at this level that means nothing." A match that means nothing? At this point, that match means EVERYTHING going into the individuals. A few years ago your statement would be true because head to head match ups at the state duals didn't factor into the seeding for state individuals but now they do, and a Baucke-Hooker match, number 1 and 2 seeds respectively, would decide who the final number 1 seed would be going into the state individuals. How can that mean nothing...?

According to your logic, a Hooker-Bauke match at state duals should mean nothing, because Hooker's seeding should mean nothing, because Hooker's the best 112 in the state and will win 112 at state traditional regardless of how he's seeded, right?

According to your logic, a Hooker-Bauke match at state duals should mean nothing, because Hooker's seeding should mean nothing, because Hooker's the best 112 in the state and will win 112 at state traditional regardless of how he's seeded, right?

Exactly at least the last half of your statement. To the first half, the match does mean something. Something is up for grabs, and when something is up for grabs then it always means something. I'm not doing the whole Hooker will win anyways sarcasm junk. Even if he's seeded second, he'll come through the bracket to the finals and meet Baucke there and hopefully win. But that's not the issue that we're arguing here. The issue is not whether Hooker is the best and will prove himself either way. The issue is whether Baucke will wrestle or just hold on to his number seed. There is no sarcasm or disdain in that statement, it's just that that is the issue we've been discussing. So yeah it does mean something. And even if it doesn't, to those of you who seem to think it, then why wouldn't they wrestle!? I don't want the "to protect against injury" junk because if that's the case, then why wrestle at all!!!!!

And WhiskeyJoe- if your whole post is true, then turn it around to Baucke too. So you substitute his name for Hooker's. Then why not wrestle?

THE HORSE IS DEAD MOVE ON!!!!!!!!!

If a wrestler makes it through an individual state champoinship bracket and is the winner, he is state champion(period). No person can take that away from him, no loss after that whether in a dual meet or in a summer tournament or otherwise can erase that hard earned fact. He had his hand raised as a state champion and nothing can "taint" that. He will be proud and even more confident to go out and wrestle for his team.

I agree, nothing can taint a state championship. I should have not said that. It's not exactly what I meant. I only wish I had won a state championship. However, what I meant was if they ending up losing would that lead to everybody questioning and arguing over who the state champion should have been. Adults on this meaningless message board or much worse kids who can be awful mean. Reality is that is what would occur and everyone always has their suggestions of the way to fix everything. I was just pointing out there would be problems with your method as well because you said "all things would work themselves out".

Again not knocking you suggestion. I don't have all the answers either. Just pointing out no process is without flaw.

I think I recall McCallie forfeiting quite a few matches in the last few years for various reasons (they were tired, etc). A Ringgold match sticks in my head as one where there was much anticipation and then McCallie didn't wrestle any of the key match-ups. I realize that was a couple of years ago, but I doubt the philosophy has changed. This is the State Duals, but a coach is going to do what is best for his wrestler and his team (both long-term and short).

Connell probably would wrestle Hooker b/c he is confident he will win it. Would he wrestle the match if his guy had the #1 seed and he was not so sure he could beat the lower seed? If the match was decided already, I don't think so. You obviously know him better than me, but that is my opinion.

I think I recall McCallie forfeiting quite a few matches in the last few years for various reasons (they were tired, etc). A Ringgold match sticks in my head as one where there was much anticipation and then McCallie didn't wrestle any of the key match-ups. I realize that was a couple of years ago, but I doubt the philosophy has changed. This is the State Duals, but a coach is going to do what is best for his wrestler and his team (both long-term and short).

Connell probably would wrestle Hooker b/c he is confident he will win it. Would he wrestle the match if his guy had the #1 seed and he was not so sure he could beat the lower seed? If the match was decided already, I don't think so. You obviously know him better than me, but that is my opinion.

Remember guys they are going to face each at somepoint at the state tournament whether it be the semifinals or finals. The best wrestler that day will win no matter what. All the ducking and dodging is meaningless. I personally know coaches will let their best wrestler wrestle irregardless,and he may lose but when they meet again the outcome may be different. The difference between 1st and 2nd seed is minimum especially when both wrestlers are dominant. Guys there are 4th seeds that beat 1 seeds all the time. It will happen this year as well.