York @ Upperman

DaKing15643

As I stated in one of my earlier posts, I can't recall Upperman, Livingston,etc. standing up holding basketball scores over the past 3 or 4 years.

No they haven't held up basketball scores, but they have held up football scores at ball games. Not Upperman, I am not for sure if they have won in football for several years. I do think it is tacky either way. Kids will do what gets under your skin. You used to be able to have fun with other teams pep clubs by chanting things and they would chant back, all in competitive fun. Now people can't let it go when the game is over with. But it is unexcusable for several students to jump someone and for adults (not trying to break up the fight) but strike 16/17 year olds.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will have to say LA has the best seating arrangement in their gym. Everyone knows that the end bleachers are the student??™s section. I like that they have doors on both sides of the gym and you don't have to walk by anyone unless you want to. At Upperman it's a lot different??¦.. really if you think about it where else could they sit? As you know UHS has a lot of kids in the student section and they are very loud. If they sit behind UHS bench they would be distracting to the players. If they set behind the visitor??™s bench that would be even worse and the other teams would really complain. They can't set in the middle because of the seats. So that just leaves the far end of the other side. I think they picked the best spot in the gym. Upperman has a big gym too it's not like all the fans are pushed together.

I've seen the gyms you're talking about. There are always empty seats on the UHS side of the court, yet their students (a lot of whom aren't usually watching the game) take almost half of the "visitor's" side. I've seen the same seating arrangement in York's gym, Cookeville's gym, and others. However, when teenagers (or adults) act like children, this seating arrangement can contribute to the problem of immaturity.

So, from what I read on this thread, it appears that there are 2 problems ...

Problem # 1 -- Immaturity

Problem # 2 -- Seating arrangments

Solution -- If school administrators won't fix problem # 2, everyone else needs to fix problem # 1 -- GROW UP!!

Ok i felt the need to post because this is completely inaccurate. It all started when an Upperman student tore the York fan's sign off the wall. Then the ball was thrown in response. Second correction would be that nobody was jumped and it wasn't a freshman in college. The kid was taunting the Upperman student section by pointing at his hat. Then in the lobby he hit an Upperman student and then the Upperman student and his his friend "beat the heck" out of the York student. Third correction would be that many adults hit students and evenYork basketball players. I dont know what you were watching if you didnt see this. Also many students/players hit adults.

In the end it was just a bad situation that just proceeded to get worse. Both teams were in the wrong and should never want this to happen. But kudos to the Upperman players and both teams cheerleading squads for avoiding the situation.

I was just stating what I witnessed myself with no one from the outside telling me what happened. The reason I didn't see very much is because I stayed out of the mayhem and did not get involved. I never said anyone was jumped. The person I saw was a freshman from Tennessee Tech who was arguing as I know who it was. I never saw the fight though. I have told you what happened from a first person point of view with no bias.

Well I've left things alone for a good while to see how things would go for York, but this is just too embarrassing as an alum and former player. Yes some Upperman fans have been rude. Know it for a fact as I've had adults yell mean stuff to me and my teammates as we sat on our bench during games. However, some are very nice and respectful. It's that way at about every school including York. The college freshmen being talked about has gotten in trouble before at Upperman games for acting rude and wanting to fight. What I find so ironic is that he and his little brother happen to be the coach's sons. This is just another example of the fiasco that has occurred this year with the new coach. Someone posted that he had trouble getting his players off the floor. Well its no wonder when he can't seem to control his own kids.

Someone posted back earlier in the year that the landscape of the district would be changed by Coach Wright. Looks like York is going wind up in about the same spot they have been, right in the middle of the pack. Maybe that person, who also said I was on crack, was referring to the York's reputation. No one could ever dispute Coach Matney's reputation and integrity. He was respected by all who knew him and I think some of the things that have gone on with members of this year's team ( both on the floor and off) would not have happened had he been there.

It looks like the York powers that be are getting exactly what they deserve for their treatment of Coach Matney. It's too bad some of individual players and the teamas a whole are having to suffer too. Coach is better offbeing elsewhere. York didn't deserve him anyway.

I just want to add one more comment here, and then I am done.

I know that there are a bunch of incredibly nice, caring, decent human beings at both Upperman and York. I know this first hand by having a kid at Upperman, and I am just assuming the same for York. Afterall, this is the Upper Cumberland, and the great people that live in this area are the biggest reason for my moving here to begin with.

I have met some of the folk from York, JC, LA, Smith County, Dekalb, just about every team that Upperman has played, and every Rival that comes into the Upperman gym. There are two things that are constant with ever person I have met

1) they are passionate about their basketball

2) they care about their kids

I have not been around this area long enough to have witnessed the things that have gone on in the past, but the important thing to remember is that it was THE PAST. If we go through life always wanting to get back at someone for a time when we thought we were "wronged", then this will be a very sad, and unenjoyable little world that we live in.

It is often said that life is too short to live like that, but please remember that life is also too LONG to live like that. A lifetime is a long time to harbor ill feelings. And they will not just GO AWAY at the drop of a hat. But I think it is time that we start thinking about where this leads if we do not put an end to it. If each person just lets go, just a little, we are well on our way to getting these issues put behind us.

There will be another meeting between these two teams, and there will be ill feelings.

But there does not have to be anger and hatred.

Go to the game

Cheer your ever loving tail off

Be as loud as you can

Be as obnoxious as you can

Respect each other. We all want the same things out of life, really.

I promise you that I hate losing more than any of you. I really do. But this game is supposed to teach us about competition, rivalry, giving everything you have, and most importantly, sportsmanship.

Fighting with everything you have on the court, until the final whistle. And then wrapping your arm around your opponent and saying, "man, that was the toughest game I ever played, I can't wait to do it again"

I look forward to seeing you folks from York again soon. Im sure that this can all be put behind us, with a little work.

I will have to say LA has the best seating arrangement in their gym. Everyone knows that the end bleachers are the student??™s section. I like that they have doors on both sides of the gym and you don't have to walk by anyone unless you want to. At Upperman it's a lot different??¦.. really if you think about it where else could they sit? As you know UHS has a lot of kids in the student section and they are very loud. If they sit behind UHS bench they would be distracting to the players. If they set behind the visitor??™s bench that would be even worse and the other teams would really complain. They can't set in the middle because of the seats. So that just leaves the far end of the other side. I think they picked the best spot in the gym. Upperman has a big gym too it's not like all the fans are pushed together.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I with you on LA having the best gym all around , Just if they would sit at the end instead of partially in the middle and take half the bleacher's, rope it off, and school officials open those doors below them then they could walk around in front of the cafeteria and not even walk in front of the opponents fan's. Probably solve some problems of smack talk.. and the evil eye's and etc,, /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

I just want to add one more comment here, and then I am done.

I know that there are a bunch of incredibly nice, caring, decent human beings at both Upperman and York. I know this first hand by having a kid at Upperman, and I am just assuming the same for York. Afterall, this is the Upper Cumberland, and the great people that live in this area are the biggest reason for my moving here to begin with.

I have met some of the folk from York, JC, LA, Smith County, Dekalb, just about every team that Upperman has played, and every Rival that comes into the Upperman gym. There are two things that are constant with ever person I have met

1) they are passionate about their basketball

2) they care about their kids

I have not been around this area long enough to have witnessed the things that have gone on in the past, but the important thing to remember is that it was THE PAST. If we go through life always wanting to get back at someone for a time when we thought we were "wronged", then this will be a very sad, and unenjoyable little world that we live in.

It is often said that life is too short to live like that, but please remember that life is also too LONG to live like that. A lifetime is a long time to harbor ill feelings. And they will not just GO AWAY at the drop of a hat. But I think it is time that we start thinking about where this leads if we do not put an end to it. If each person just lets go, just a little, we are well on our way to getting these issues put behind us.

There will be another meeting between these two teams, and there will be ill feelings.

But there does not have to be anger and hatred.

Go to the game

Cheer your ever loving tail off

Be as loud as you can

Be as obnoxious as you can

Respect each other. We all want the same things out of life, really.

I promise you that I hate losing more than any of you. I really do. But this game is supposed to teach us about competition, rivalry, giving everything you have, and most importantly, sportsmanship.

Fighting with everything you have on the court, until the final whistle. And then wrapping your arm around your opponent and saying, "man, that was the toughest game I ever played, I can't wait to do it again"

I look forward to seeing you folks from York again soon. Im sure that this can all be put behind us, with a little work.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Yorks student section shouldn't try and trip people from upperman they don't know cause they got beat the heck up hahahaha.

no it was one york person who talked sugar and said he could take 3 of the upperman guys who put him in the hospitol...therefore gettin what he asked for

Speaking of the whistles, I haven't seen anyone say a word about the referees. In my opinion they are the ones to blame in this whole thing. Both the boys and girls games were totally out of control.

If they would have done their job and kept the game under control I don't think it would have ever escalated to this. The referees that I have seen in this area horrible. The one referee stopped play in the middle of a fast break, threw a spectator out and just resumed play from there. I know their just trying to make a little extra $$ on the side but I wish we could get some decent referees

the boy that got jumped by six people wasn t even on the basketball team and the york players saw it and was going to try and help him out when they got jumped from behind by 30 year men

ok...everyone needs to get their story right...as one of the people cheering for my basketball team (the bees) and being a former football player...here is what happened...we (being some uhs students) ripped down a rediculous sign saying "BONE SAW" after that york got it back then started threatening and tripping students as they walked bye so naturally we are gonna talk back this is baxter we dont take crap from anybody!! we also had little basketballs thrown at us with the score from last years football game which is stupid cause its basketball season get over yourselves yeah congrats good season in football nobody cares anymore though anyway one fan from york who was also a student ran his mouth to 3 of our schools toughst guys and said he could take any of them not realizeing they really would beat his ###### without thinkin about it and got what he deserved if you dont believe me then just ask him im not saying we were right in starting the fight neither side is! and there was no 30 year old upperman guys beatin up kids if u wanna say that then i seen myself a 40 year old man square off with a uhs student too so dont act like ya'll are all innocent cause your not and if u dont like our student section being energetic for our team then just dont show up cause thats how its always been and thats how its ALWAYS gonna be you dont like what i said then get over it cause this is all true

Speaking of the whistles, I haven't seen anyone say a word about the referees. In my opinion they are the ones to blame in this whole thing. Both the boys and girls games were totally out of control.

If they would have done their job and kept the game under control I don't think it would have ever escalated to this. The referees that I have seen in this area horrible. The one referee stopped play in the middle of a fast break, threw a spectator out and just resumed play from there. I know their just trying to make a little extra $$ on the side but I wish we could get some decent referees

There is a fairly large and very interesting thread about Officials over on the girls board. This was brought up a few times there. (I didnt like the answers, and suspect that you will not either)

It is worth reading.

beginning of the thread

upperman -v- york part of the thread