PreSeason Big 9 Predictions

DBTeepee

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From talking to several knowledegable folks up in that area, no question that Science Hill is the team to beat again this year. They lost some good players from last season but they have a great pitching staff with the Anderson kid who has signed with Austin Peay along with the McKinney kid who threw well last season. In addition, both of those kids as well as some others on that team can really swing the bats. When you add that they have a great coaching staff, you have a team who can get back to the State again this year and do some damage. The Knoxville teams, while talented, will still have to get through SH to get to the State.

From talking to several knowledegable folks up in that area, no question that Science Hill is the team to beat again this year. They lost some good players from last season but they have a great pitching staff with the Anderson kid who has signed with Austin Peay along with the McKinney kid who threw well last season. In addition, both of those kids as well as some others on that team can really swing the bats. When you add that they have a great coaching staff, you have a team who can get back to the State again this year and do some damage. The Knoxville teams, while talented, will still have to get through SH to get to the State.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the "team to beat again this year" because DB was the Big 9 Conference Champion in 2006 and 2007. But that streak will likely end this year.

I believe SH is the team that made the state the last 2 years, not DB. I don't get to see all the teams up there in action very often but I do know many coaches/fans across the state. I also got to see Science Hill play some in Knoxville and at the State last season along with other teams. The majority of those I spoke to last year told me that by the middle of the 2007 season, SH was clearly the better team and it obviously showed in post season head to head. DB has had fine teams but until they get to the state, it is hard to put them with SH or the Knoxville schools who have made the state regularly over the years. I am merely sharing what others have told me and and I tend to agree.

I agree SH is definately the team to beat this year they have some returning starters and in my opinion their best pitcher from last yr McK. as well. But dont count out DB just yet, yea they lost all their starters but one in SS Crawford and lost all their pitching,but these kids have alot of heart and arent just gonna roll over for SH. They dont have any flamethrowers like Sonny Gray but they have guys like Gabe Overcast and Miles Chase that can throw strikes and help your team, even heard they are tryin Crawford out pitching, sounds like a little desperation from Ritz but we'll see. If the bats start going like they did late in summer ball, and the team starts to gel they can definately play with anyone in the conference and may surprise some folks this year including Coach Ritz.

yea SH should be the favorite again this year.Some of their juniors won the state as 8th graders.They have some good pitching as was stated in Mckinney and the Anderson kid.DB will have to really play good ball to compete with SH.It seems every year DB faces a very good pitcher in the regionals.Last year it was Chad Bell at South Doyle who shut em down.Ritz will have his hands full with a young but talented squad in the big 9.Crockett as someone stated,will surprise some people this year.South will also be a contender for the conference race.Playing on the new turf at J.Fred Stadium will be interesting for all sports.Good luck to the Tribe.Come on warm weather.