What's up with transfer in-eligibility?

lilc3

They have a similar rule in college athletics that you have to pass 12 hours each time.

You could take 20 in the fall with 4.0 average. Second semester take 12 and have 3 A's and an F and not be eligible without passing 3 hrs in the summer. Don't mean anything bad but that is the rule.

As far a the transfer the parents of the child has several options: 1. move into new district

2. File for divorce or 3. just rent an apartment and say you live there. Unless the school she comes from throws a huge stink, she can be eligible. I commend the school that abides by the rules and follows the TSSAA rules.

A lot of great games in the Memphis area this week.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rule is still pretty good. If a kid moves then there is not much stink. I have seen kids move in and out of places and they are eligible within a few days. However some places get kids and no one moves the kids sit out. The same rules apply in the NCAA why should it be any different with the TSSAA. Wheatever happened to people playing for they town they live in? Today it's all about what can my kid do not what can this team do.

There's nothing I can really add that hasn't been stated already. The rule is needed. Recruiting does happen and is all too common. The transfer rule is the only weapon the TSSAA has in an attempt to police programs who would engage in such activity. It's about as effective as trying to eat soup with a fork but it's needed.

There's nothing I can really add that hasn't been stated already. The rule is needed. Recruiting does happen and is all too common. The transfer rule is the only weapon the TSSAA has in an attempt to police programs who would engage in such activity. It's about as effective as trying to eat soup with a fork but it's needed.

Thank you guys for answering my question. I understand a little more now. But still couldn't they just bust the people who are recruiting? My good friend played varsity basketball last year, and for reasons of moving schools because of issues the school was having, transfered to another private school. She honestly just transfering for personal reasons, not for atheleitics of any sort. She played three varsity sports in her freshman year, and now is sitting on the bench her whole sophmore year because she is ineligible.This year seems like wasted talent stuck riding the bench. Does that sound very fair to you???

This is why i dissagree with TSSAA on this rule, because honest people suffer.

Thank you guys for answering my question. I understand a little more now. But still couldn't they just bust the people who are recruiting? My good friend played varsity basketball last year, and for reasons of moving schools because of issues the school was having, transfered to another private school. She honestly just transfering for personal reasons, not for atheleitics of any sort. She played three varsity sports in her freshman year, and now is sitting on the bench her whole sophmore year because she is ineligible.This year seems like wasted talent stuck riding the bench. Does that sound very fair to you???

When a student transfers for personal reasons, this must transform into a hardship case in order to be eligible. If the family moved more than twenty miles from the school the student is attending, probably could play. It is very difficult to prove any hardship when it is a private to private transfer. If you don't appeal the right way with the right words, you will be denied. Thats just the way it is. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

In a perfect world we could just bust the people who were recruiting however that's all but impossible to do.

I feel for your friend but some private schools are among the worst offenders. At least with a public school parents can move into the proper district and it's all well and good. It may still be recruiting but if you're willing to move so that your child can attend a particular school then that is your right. Now, had she left a private school in order to attend a public school which she is zoned to attend then I wouldn't have any problem with it although the rule would still hold. To treat every situation in a case-by-case basis would take an eternity to sort out and would result in unequal treatment more often than not.

Bottom line is the TSSAA doesn't exist to be fair. Many rules make sense while some don't. Many are rigid and innocent people get caught in up them at times. Believe me, I know first hand. Some rules do need to be changed but not this one. I wish your friend nothing but the best in her future endeavors.

In a perfect world we could just bust the people who were recruiting however that's all but impossible to do.

I feel for your friend but some private schools are among the worst offenders. At least with a public school parents can move into the proper district and it's all well and good. It may still be recruiting but if you're willing to move so that your child can attend a particular school then that is your right. Now, had she left a private school in order to attend a public school which she is zoned to attend then I wouldn't have any problem with it although the rule would still hold. To treat every situation in a case-by-case basis would take an eternity to sort out and would result in unequal treatment more often than not.

Bottom line is the TSSAA doesn't exist to be fair. Many rules make sense while some don't. Many are rigid and innocent people get caught in up them at times. Believe me, I know first hand. Some rules do need to be changed but not this one. I wish your friend nothing but the best in her future endeavors.

To add to your statement, some publics are the worst offenders too. Its just that nobody is really looking at the publics. My experience is that the TSSAA does in fact look at all the facts in every case if you take the time to write a detailed explanation for reason of transfer. They will then make a judgement on your case. I know of many public school students who are enrolled out of county for reasons that would not hold water with any athletic organization. All you have to do is give a fake address, relative address etc. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

To add to your statement, some publics are the worst offenders too. Its just that nobody is really looking at the publics. My experience is that the TSSAA does in fact look at all the facts in every case if you take the time to write a detailed explanation for reason of transfer. They will then make a judgement on your case. I know of many public school students who are enrolled out of county for reasons that would not hold water with any athletic organization. All you have to do is give a fake address, relative address etc. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree. There are those public school programs that are every bit as bad, if not worse. I have no real problem with private schools other than they get so offended if it's ever suggested one would ever do such a thing. Don't even get me started on the false address debacle /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

My only problem is with the TSSAA and case-by-case judgements. They may look at an individual case but the chances are slim to none of getting a judgement in your favor. I understand why in that the burden of proof is on the person to provide due reason. Still, it makes it seem as if judgements are predetermined. (although I know that not to be true)

I know it doesn't sound like it but I'm actually defending the TSSAA in regards to this transfer rule.