Stalling explained by the xperts!

gonavy2

Can someone please explain the mechanics of stalling in hs wrestling? Also, why does a well-coached wrestler get the benefit of the doubt when taken down on the edge and in the same match the opponent might be called for fleeing the mat? Lastly, when two refs are calling a match, and the lead ref is " a little less competent", and the second ref overrides him, is this better or worse than the randomness of bad calls? (also, sometimes, the spontanious nature of the call gets lost with the "look" each gives the other). Please respond, thanks!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please explain the mechanics of stalling in hs wrestling? Also, why does a well-coached wrestler get the benefit of the doubt when taken down on the edge and in the same match the opponent might be called for fleeing the mat? Lastly, when two refs are calling a match, and the lead ref is " a little less competent", and the second ref overrides him, is this better or worse than the randomness of bad calls? (also, sometimes, the spontanious nature of the call gets lost with the "look" each gives the other). Please respond, thanks!

The assistant ref can't overrule the head ref and as far as fleeing the mat, that is not called enough to make a difference. (I wish it was)

Not an expert but here's a stab at your questions.

Both wrestlers must wrestle aggressively. From neutral that means working for takedowns. Shots, attacks, whatever you want to call it. From top it means working to score points or get a pin. From bottom it means working to improve position. Escape, reversal etc. It is a judgement call. The only opinion that matters is the opinion of the guy with the whistle in his mouth.

As to takedowns on the edge: It doesn't matter how well the wrestler is coached. He either has control with his supporting points in bounds or he doesn't. That is the nutshell version. Control is the key word. That is where judgement comes into play again. Is red controlling green? See above concerning judgement. Fleeing is also a judgement call and I agree that it is not called enough.

As to 2 refs: The assistant ref cannot override the head ref. The head ref has final say so on all calls on the mat. He can ask for help on something he may not see or the asistant can offer an opinion or information on things that the head ref did not or could not see (locked hands). They can agree or disagree with each other but the head ref's opinion is the one that counts. 2 refs on the mat can be great for both the wrestlers and the officials.

Taketop is correct in that the assistant referee cannot overrule the head official on a mat. The head official can confer with him for his opinion and take his perspective into account in determining how to make a call but the head officials call is the one that stands.

The definition of stalling is: Action is to be maintained throughout the match by the contestants making an honest attempt to stay near the center of the mat and wrestle aggressively whether in the top, bottom or neutral position.

Examples of stalling are:

1. Advantage position. The contestant in the advantage position on the mat must wrestle aggressively and attempt to secure a fall when action permits. Whenever the offensive wrestler is content to hold the opponent on the mat and not work for a fall, the offensive wrestler is stalling.

2. Rear-Standing Position. Repeatedly applying the legs while in the rear-standing position is stalling.

3. Defensive position. Refusing to wrestle aggressively in the defensive position is stalling. The contestant in the defensive position must initiate action designed to escape or reverse the opponent. Failure to make these attempts is stalling.

4. Holding legs. Repeatedly grasping or interlocking hands around a leg resulting in a stalemate situation, in any position, is to be considered stalling. It is stalling when the wrestler in the advantage position on the mat grasps the defensive wrestler??™s leg(s) with both hands or arms,

unless such action is designed to break down the opponent for the purpose of securing a fall or to prevent an escape or reversal. Repeatedly grasping and holding the leg(s) with both hands or arms merely to break down the defensive wrestler or to maintain control is a violation under

this rule. When the defensive wrestler has gained a standing position, the wrestler in the advantage position is allowed reaction time to begin a breakdown.

5. Neutral position. Each wrestler must make an honest attempt to work toward the center of the mat and maintain an attack to secure a takedown, regardless of the time or score of the match. Contestants may maneuver to avoid the tie-up if such action is taken to improve position or acquire a takedown. Repeated movement away from the opponent without attempting a takedown is defined as fleeing the opponent and is stalling. A contestant who continuously avoids contact without initiating an attack, plays the edge of the mat, secures a single leg and does not attempt to finish the move, or uses upper-body tie-ups to control and move the opponent without attempting a takedown, is stalling.

To answer the question regarding a wrestler being given "the benefit of the doubt". I think your question is ambigious. A "well coached wrestler" should not be given anything based on his coaching. A well coached wrestler will be more aware of the mat and what he needs to do to stay within the rules and score where a lesser experienced/coached wrestler might not.

Taketop is correct in that the assistant referee cannot overrule the head official on a mat. The head official can confer with him for his opinion and take his perspective into account in determining how to make a call but the head officials call is the one that stands.

The definition of stalling is: Action is to be maintained throughout the match by the contestants making an honest attempt to stay near the center of the mat and wrestle aggressively whether in the top, bottom or neutral position.

Examples of stalling are:

1. Advantage position. The contestant in the advantage position on the mat must wrestle aggressively and attempt to secure a fall when action permits. Whenever the offensive wrestler is content to hold the opponent on the mat and not work for a fall, the offensive wrestler is stalling.

2. Rear-Standing Position. Repeatedly applying the legs while in the rear-standing position is stalling.

3. Defensive position. Refusing to wrestle aggressively in the defensive position is stalling. The contestant in the defensive position must initiate action designed to escape or reverse the opponent. Failure to make these attempts is stalling.

4. Holding legs. Repeatedly grasping or interlocking hands around a leg resulting in a stalemate situation, in any position, is to be considered stalling. It is stalling when the wrestler in the advantage position on the mat grasps the defensive wrestler??™s leg(s) with both hands or arms,

unless such action is designed to break down the opponent for the purpose of securing a fall or to prevent an escape or reversal. Repeatedly grasping and holding the leg(s) with both hands or arms merely to break down the defensive wrestler or to maintain control is a violation under

this rule. When the defensive wrestler has gained a standing position, the wrestler in the advantage position is allowed reaction time to begin a breakdown.

5. Neutral position. Each wrestler must make an honest attempt to work toward the center of the mat and maintain an attack to secure a takedown, regardless of the time or score of the match. Contestants may maneuver to avoid the tie-up if such action is taken to improve position or acquire a takedown. Repeated movement away from the opponent without attempting a takedown is defined as fleeing the opponent and is stalling. A contestant who continuously avoids contact without initiating an attack, plays the edge of the mat, secures a single leg and does not attempt to finish the move, or uses upper-body tie-ups to control and move the opponent without attempting a takedown, is stalling.

To answer the question regarding a wrestler being given "the benefit of the doubt". I think your question is ambigious. A "well coached wrestler" should not be given anything based on his coaching. A well coached wrestler will be more aware of the mat and what he needs to do to stay within the rules and score where a lesser experienced/coached wrestler might not.

That's a lot of reading so i'll sum it up in a shorter version:

Neutral- both wrestlers working to get a take down in the center of the mat.

Top- Working for a pin, not riding the hips that's a big one, the top wrestler has to come off the hips so the bottom man can come up. There is no such thing as riding time in high school.

Bottom- Working for an excape, if he get's broken down he had to make an attempt to table up, and then work to stand up from there or switch.

I have seen stalling called when the stronger wrestler drives the weaker wrestler from the mat.I have no problem if the stronger wrestler is shooting for a take down,but I have a problem with the call if neither wrestler shoots for a take down.Even if this is done time after time it is no more stalling on the weaker wrestler than it is stalling on the stronger wrestler.I think the correct call is a no call or to call stalling on both. This is not sumo wrestling.

Gotta disagree Red1. If you're not moving forward or circling, you are moving backwards. We've all seen matches where one wrestler never makes a move toward his opponent. The wrestler that is afraid to take a shot, and continues to backpeddle should be penalized.

To me, Red1 is not too far off. You see it a lot in heavy weights. One guy just pushes the other guy out, and the guy getting pushed gets hit with stalling. When in reality, it's both of them. Pushing is NOT WRESTLING.

NOW, if the one guy is giving ground and not trying to hold his ground, that may be a different situation.

But one thing about stalling is it is totally subjective. And depending on the area of the state you are in, depends on how it will be called. Example, I saw a case this past weekend, where the top guy was trying to cut the bottom wrestler. The bottom guy, not wanting to get tech'd, decided to hang on to the top guy's hand. No attempt to wrestle, and no stalling call. Then in the next match, the bottom guy has both wrists tied up, and is trying to move, and within seconds gets hit for stalling. Stalling gets totally rediculous at times. It can't be a feeling the ref has, but more of a set of criteria that defines it.

An elbow lock or a turned arm to the chest is not shooting for a take down.In my example neither wrestler was shooting for a take down.I think pushing a weaker wrestler off the mat is bad for the sport .I also think allowing your self to be pushed off the mat is also sorry wrestling.

I agree to a point, but at the DII State Duals I saw my first heavyweight match that ended in a forfeit because of stalling. It was justified because the loser was running away the entire match, trying to save his team from the pin. Some say it is good coaching, but it sure makes for an ugly match.

Running away? Running how?

See, the issue is that first this is a heavy weight match. Show me a pretty heavy weight match. It's all pushing, and locking up.

Running away? Running how?

See, the issue is that first this is a heavy weight match. Show me a pretty heavy weight match. It's all pushing, and locking up.

2blLeg,

If you saw the match he was referring to it was well deserved. The running was very blatant. While I agree that most heavyweight matches are pushing and locking up a good idea can tell the difference. In this case, you didn't need a good eye. Even if you are trying to stall to avoid getting pinned you have to at a minimum make it look like you are attempting something, there was no attempt in this match.