Questionable Post Season Awards

SCG07

In 7-AA this season Livingston went 12-0. When Coach of the Year was given out LA Coach Melton was only Co-Coach of the year with Mr. McWilliams from Upperman. I don't think there is any way this can be fair. It seems Coach Melton's peers have something personal against him. Just thinking out loud, I wonder if anybody has any opinions as to what those personal issues could be.

Coach Melton seems like a good guy & a good person. He's obviously a good coach. He's won the district regular season now all three years he's been there and won both district tournaments. I know Upperman and Dekalb beat LA last year but isn't that all LA has lost in the district since Coach Melton took over? That makes his district record 40-2 or something like that. Who knows what their problem is. Maybe there's not one. Maybe they just get sick of LA beating them. Didn't he get the award last year? Maybe his peers just think someone else should get it. Coach Melton has quite a bit of talent and I think he does a good job of getting the right ones on the floor at the same time. Good coach. Good players. Great season. Maybe they'll go deep this year.

This is almost making me jealous. Think that's the problem?

Coach Melton seems like a good guy & a good person. He's obviously a good coach. He's won the district regular season now all three years he's been there and won both district tournaments. I know Upperman and Dekalb beat LA last year but isn't that all LA has lost in the district since Coach Melton took over? That makes his district record 40-2 or something like that. Who knows what their problem is. Maybe there's not one. Maybe they just get sick of LA beating them. Didn't he get the award last year? Maybe his peers just think someone else should get it. Coach Melton has quite a bit of talent and I think he does a good job of getting the right ones on the floor at the same time. Good coach. Good players. Great season. Maybe they'll go deep this year.

This is almost making me jealous. Think that's the problem?

12-0 looks like the right resume for Coach of the Year not co-coach. No big deal I guess.

12-0 looks like the right resume for Coach of the Year not co-coach. No big deal I guess.

Don't have a dog in the race but don't you think sometimes a coach just has a lot more talent on the team and all their winning isn't the coach but because the boys have so much talent. Then you have the coach that may not win all the games but does a really good job with what he has.

Don't have a dog in the race but don't you think sometimes a coach just has a lot more talent on the team and all their winning isn't the coach but because the boys have so much talent. Then you have the coach that may not win all the games but does a really good job with what he has.

I understand your point but who determines which team has more "talent". Your point is that LA has superior talent to Upperman if I understand you right. Both teams are comprised of mainly underclassmen(LA-2 seniors Upp-0) so who determines who is the most talented team. If the 2 teams records were reversed, then we must know Upperman had better players. Again Aza, I understand what you are trying to say. I'm just playing devil's advocate.

I hear what you are saying & have seen in many times but that's not the case with Melton. Yes.... Melton does have alot of talent on his team but don't let that fool you. He is the real deal....I have seen him work with kids that I personally didn't see much talent in & he helps bring out the best in them. He gives his team that extra something to make them work harder for him. That in my opinion makes him a great coach & Coach of the year. On top of that his knowledge of the game ....what works & what doesn't is unbelievable. As long as Melton keeps his passion of the game at the level it is now....he will keep winning. Sure he will have off years but I would bet he has more good than bad. We need more coaches like him in our grade schools.