Double Elimination

ru4mocs

We had Ronnie Carter speak to our Rotary Club in Tullahoma today and he responded to the double elimination question by it could only occur with 16 man brackets. Also TSSAA intends to keep D1 and D2 together and not lengthen the State Tourney even by 4 hours at the beginning of the tournament. The only way to approach a smaller bracket would be through a substate or sectionals. Even with this information he does not sound too interested in changing the format.

YES, I SEE NO REASON WHY THE 10 REGION FORMAT NOW COULD BE ESSENCIALLY CALLED DISTRICTS AND REGIONS COULD BE THE NEXT LEVEL AND HAVING A 16 MAN BRACKET AT STATE.

2010 NEW FORMAT

12 DISTRICTS (INSTEAD OF 10 REGIONS)- 12-14 MAN BRACKETS WHERE TOP 4 IN EACH DISTRICT GO TO REGIONS

4 REGIONS- 12 MAN BRACKETS WHERE TOP 4 IN EACH REGION GO TO STATE

STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS- 16 MAN BRACKETS WITH DOUBLE ELIMINATION FOR ALL LEVELS OF THE PROCESS.

THE BEST WRESTLERS AT THE STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS SHOULD HAVE A SECOND CHANCE TO WRESTLE BACK TO A MEDAL LIKE THEY DO ALL YEAR LONG. THIS NEW FORMAT WOULD BE PERFECT JUST LIKE IT USE TO BE.

MAYBE THEY JUST NEED TO START THE STATE DUALS A WEEK EARLIER IN ORDER TO GET THIS DONE.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TN is one of only a handful of states nationwide that does not divide the wrestlers by school size (California, Texas and Indiana are three others). Yes, TN has two divisions, but not based on school size, but on philosophy. There are two states, Arkansas and Mississippi that dont have sanctioned hs wrestling. New Jersey, as far as I can determine, doesn't have any kind of state championship, but breaks the state into various classifications (think DI and DII times 10). Neighboring states like Louisiana, North Carolina, Alabama, Florida and Georgia have 3-5 classifications. Even Iowa has more than one state champ per weight class.

71 of this year's 84 medalists (84%) were from AAA schools. 9 medalists (10%) were from AA schools. 4 medalists (6%) were from the same A school (Greenback).

When talking about qualifiers, the numbers don't change much. The state tournament is dominated by the AAA schools. And the percentage of AAA schools in the round of 16 increases, with the AA/A schools accounting for about 5% of all quarter finalists.

Breaking the TN state tourney into a AAA, AA/A tourney like the state duals, with 16 man brackets, would not increase the number of mats, refs, days, etc. What it would do is increase the number of participants from the AA/A schools.

As we've already seen, there wouldn't be any drop off at the AAA level. Bradley, Cleveland, Soddy can continue to be dominate, at their level.

What would increase is the number of kids from smaller schools. Who knows, it might even encourage other AA/A schools to begin wrestling programs.

Any program that wants to challenge the top schools would have that right (think Brentwood Acad. before the DI/DII split). This is their right under current TSSAA by-laws.

I like the current system. I like the idea that Greenback had four medalists. I like one state champ per weight class (that includes the whole DI/DII nonsense). However, if the goal is to make TN a wrestling state, I believe there needs to be some creative thinking for PROMOTING the sport. More competition is not bad.

If we get more kids involved in the sport, how is that bad?

TN is one of only a handful of states nationwide that does not divide the wrestlers by school size (California, Texas and Indiana are three others). Yes, TN has two divisions, but not based on school size, but on philosophy. There are two states, Arkansas and Mississippi that dont have sanctioned hs wrestling. New Jersey, as far as I can determine, doesn't have any kind of state championship, but breaks the state into various classifications (think DI and DII times 10). Neighboring states like Louisiana, North Carolina, Alabama, Florida and Georgia have 3-5 classifications. Even Iowa has more than one state champ per weight class.

71 of this year's 84 medalists (84%) were from AAA schools. 9 medalists (10%) were from AA schools. 4 medalists (6%) were from the same A school (Greenback).

When talking about qualifiers, the numbers don't change much. The state tournament is dominated by the AAA schools. And the percentage of AAA schools in the round of 16 increases, with the AA/A schools accounting for about 5% of all quarter finalists.

Breaking the TN state tourney into a AAA, AA/A tourney like the state duals, with 16 man brackets, would not increase the number of mats, refs, days, etc. What it would do is increase the number of participants from the AA/A schools.

As we've already seen, there wouldn't be any drop off at the AAA level. Bradley, Cleveland, Soddy can continue to be dominate, at their level.

What would increase is the number of kids from smaller schools. Who knows, it might even encourage other AA/A schools to begin wrestling programs.

Any program that wants to challenge the top schools would have that right (think Brentwood Acad. before the DI/DII split). This is their right under current TSSAA by-laws.

I like the current system. I like the idea that Greenback had four medalists. I like one state champ per weight class (that includes the whole DI/DII nonsense). However, if the goal is to make TN a wrestling state, I believe there needs to be some creative thinking for PROMOTING the sport. More competition is not bad.

If we get more kids involved in the sport, how is that bad?

Well said.