AAU State Championships

YOUTHCOACH16

Any reason why NCW went independent? We have seen much better wrestling in USA run tournaments.....

You must be new to Middle Tennessee. There have not been many USAW sanctioned events in this area. USA Wrestling has not been able to get a strong foothold in Tennessee youth wrestling. Most wrestlers have AAU cards because that's how most of the state's tournaments are sanctioned. AAU has had success in East Tennessee in putting together a regional program and tournament schedule for youth wrestlers but is having growing pains when reaching into middle TN and further west.

NCW only has one weekend a year available to host a tournament. This is based on the availability of the Father Ryan gym which is in use year round for both school and diocesan functions. NCW has been granted the use of the gym on the weekend after the DII state basketball tournament for the foreseen future.

This year the Southeastern District of AAU Wrestling (SEAAU) which includes Tennessee voted to move up the date of their state championship tournaments and to split the state championships into two separate weekends. Tot/Bantam/Midget one weekend, JR/MS/HS the next. These changes conflicted with NCW's only available date. NCW was told that AAU would only allow them to host a JR/MS/HS event because SEAAU wouldn't allow any open event to compete with their Pee Wee (Tot/Bantam/Midget) State Championship.

After lengthy consideration and based on the size of last year's tournament, NCW determined they could not divide their team and have the manpower resources to host an event. They decided to go ahead and offer a tournament for all divisions. They still gave AAU the first opportunity to benefit from their tournament and submitted a sanction request to AAU.

The national office originally approved NCW's sanctioning for hosting all divisions, but last week the Southeastern AAU District Sports Director for Wrestling had the sanctioning revoked because NCW would not agree to hosting only JR/MS/HS on the same day of his PEE WEE State Championship.

NCW has now insured the event through an independent sports insurance program. This allows anyone to wrestle without having to purchase any other affiliation card. If they had switched to USAW sanctioning, it would have required most wrestlers in this area to purchase a $40 card just for the purpose of wrestling this one event. Not cool this close the end of the season.

The sanctioning issue here is not about affiliation it's about making a tournament available in Nashville for any and all wrestlers who choose to attend.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach

how or where do we find info on the tourney for middle school in Clevland Thursday night and weights and stuff.cant seem to find that information.I do know there is a tourney for AAU middle school at Father Ryan this weekend for state qualification as well.

Let me know if the little one wants to wrestle at the regions. I need his information asap. He can get a rematch with from this weekend. The deadline to enter is today. You can email me or call me. gary l or rabbitt can give you my # if you dont have it. The ncw tournament is not a state qualifier.

I am trying to decide if I should register my son (midget,85) for state. Here's my problem...

In the last two tournaments (ditricts and region) he's been in, they've had to combine his weight class and the one above it (92). In fact, he's been the only true 85. Two tournaments ago he had to wrestle a 100 class kid. All I want to know is if there are going to be any 85'ers at the state midget level.

Thanks.

I am trying to decide if I should register my son (midget,85) for state. Here's my problem...

In the last two tournaments (ditricts and region) he's been in, they've had to combine his weight class and the one above it (92). In fact, he's been the only true 85. Two tournaments ago he had to wrestle a 100 class kid. All I want to know is if there are going to be any 85'ers at the state midget level.

Thanks.

I personally cant give you a # of kids at this point but it would make sense to assume that if you combine several regions there will be more kids.

Thanks.

I know the SharpShooters will bring 2 85lbs Midgets to state. MJ also has a real strong Kid at that weight and I would assume he will be there. I also think Tullahoma has a kid at that weight, but I could be wrong.

Thanks.

Yes the west region has 4 good kids @ 85 lbs that will wrestling in state

I have a different problem. This is my son??™s first year wrestling and his skill level is LOW. He wants to go to the state, but he went to the Halls regional tourney and got man-handled. Is the state going to be just the best or will there be some lower level guys like my kid there?

I have a different problem. This is my son??™s first year wrestling and his skill level is LOW. He wants to go to the state, but he went to the Halls regional tourney and got man-handled. Is the state going to be just the best or will there be some lower level guys like my kid there?

What weight / division?

salterjd,

Thanks for the feedback. I would like for him to have some success, but we are both (he and I) realistic about goals for this year. I just didn't know if it was open to/if there would be some other kids there on his level. At the region, they were listed 1-5 with 5 being low skill level. He is a 5 and I was wondering if there would be only 4-5 skill level at the state.